Diesel dyno day this Saturday (19th April) in Telford

Soldato
The venues much bigger Gibbo, there is the potential for at least 100m of car parking space + another 50m of space if parked on the "road" too and it has a much bigger Dyno area, basically the whole inside of the warehouse is open with a coned off 10mx10m viewing area.

However, that 100m is across the front of a few businesses which could be an issue, the Shop is currently just a big warehouse a ramp and dyno with none of the other Shop cars to look at that powerstation has, and the dyno is current 2WD for the next month or so.

Here's a streetview piccy, have a look yourself on streetview, Monster Tuning are on the right side of this pic (old pic, MT not shown so circled in Red) and the bollards have been removed I think (can't be 100% sure). You can park on the right and then right at the very bottom end (the extra 50m).

monstertuning.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I think (Back in the day) I organised about 5 of the RR days (Merlin did the first 1 or 2 I think?)

I've always tried to get a good deal, but couldn't do much better than was on offer.

We've shown incredible loyalty to Powerstation, and when there was a RR day at another venue (Surrey RR I think ?) there was disappointment at the figures. As such It's always going to be swings and roundabouts. They know we will come back, so why reduce the prices?

Wherever it is based, people will moan.
Whenever it is planned, people will moan.
Whatever it costs, people will moan.

Whoever plans them just needs to book them in, once, maybe twice a year if it merits - we had a period when 2 a year was worth it due to several core members (5-6-7 ish people) were constantly changing cars/getting go faster bits put on - and people will either go... or not go.

For me, I've not been for years simply due to moving away from the area, but then when coming back, not having time for it anymore. A different venue or price won't affect me, but maybe others will.

Whatever we do, don't bother holding a vote. I did it years ago and people who said 'DO THIS DAY LOLZ' unsurprisingly didn't show, and then reliable people who always came (Freefaller/Bear/Merlin/Simon/Gibbo/JediFragger/Will Gill/Eidolon/Fox and the Mondeo Crew etc etc) who would always run if there was a shortage ended up being inconvenienced. (edit - No disrespect to those I have forgotten to mention intended, we know who the old crowd are and were :) )

The best piece of advice Merlin gave me was 'Pick a day, pick a location, provisionally book it, put up a thread'

Group discussion like this on the internet simply doesn't work. The same old people used to post saying 'LOLZ SO COMING' and never, ever showed.

Best of luck to whomever is running them these days :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The Golf that was running 300hp wouldn't laugh, although neither would anyone else as we were all choking of the epic black clouds of diesel it kicked out :D

Soldato
OP
Good to meet you too IanH, thanks for coming down.
If you guys do have a RR day there, there's TONS of space to park (even more round front where we didn't go - 100m x 20m totally free).

Jamie's Golf was pretty funny, his water meth nozzle blew out on the third run and he subsequently found out it hadn't been working at all so his inlet temps got pretty crazy! I think his final figure was 291bhp and 450+ lbft.
It'll be interesting to see what it runs with his meth kit back on, because last dyno day I saw him at where it had just been installed he made over 300bhp. He could do with a bigger turbo in all fairness, there's enough fuel there for another 50bhp.

Not bad figures when you can drive home at 75 and average 55 to the gallon ;)

Silly diesels eh!!

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Good to meet you too IanH, thanks for coming down.
If you guys do have a RR day there, there's TONS of space to park (even more round front where we didn't go - 100m x 20m totally free).

Jamie's Golf was pretty funny, his water meth nozzle blew out on the third run and he subsequently found out it hadn't been working at all so his inlet temps got pretty crazy! I think his final figure was 291bhp and 450+ lbft.
It'll be interesting to see what it runs with his meth kit back on, because last dyno day I saw him at where it had just been installed he made over 300bhp. He could do with a bigger turbo in all fairness, there's enough fuel there for another 50bhp.

Not bad figures when you can drive home at 75 and average 55 to the gallon ;)

Silly diesels eh!!

Any dyno print outs m8?
Interested to see if in mahaa fashion the wheel figures are still comical here or not. :D

Diesels I just can't get excited about, driven a mapped 535D and yes the surge and performance is superb, very quick and incredible in-gear acceleration. But to drive I find them so dull its untrue. Not easy to balance on throttle through a corner due to turbo, 5000rpm rev range and the noise has no excitement at all, hence I just don't get excited by them. At the same time anyone under-estimating the potential performance of a sorted/tuned diesel needs to realise they can be very quick indeed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Horses for courses mate :) I still love petrols too, my old MR2 was the antithesis of my Leon and I had a hoot driving that even if it wasn't as quick. If we all liked the same thing it'd be a boring world to live in!

People were given dyno print outs, but I'm not sure if they've been uploaded yet. Will hunt them down.

OcUK Staff
Good find, that's my mate Matt's graph. I'd not seen that, it is odd that the graph only goes to 5k :/

So in typically mahaa fashion wheel figures that are pointless, which is fair enough as they typically always seem pretty good for flywheel which most people are interested in.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm not much for wheel figures unless it's for massive power cars when you can say "Even at the wheels it's making over XXXbhp!".

One thing I did notice about the Maha dyno is that they seem to load the cars up harder than other dynos - did you find that Gibbo?

OcUK Staff
Yeah I'm not much for wheel figures unless it's for massive power cars when you can say "Even at the wheels it's making over XXXbhp!".

One thing I did notice about the Maha dyno is that they seem to load the cars up harder than other dynos - did you find that Gibbo?

What do you mean by load the car up harder? You mean because the car turns two rollers?

Soldato
OP
What do you mean by load the car up harder? You mean because the car turns two rollers?

The resistance on the rollers seemed to be higher than other dynos I've seen cars run on, so the pulls took probably 30-40% longer than on say a dyno dynamics unit. Wasn't sure if it was a way to get better readings or just a characteristic of the Maha dynos, having never seen one prior.

Back
Top Bottom