OnePlus One.

Soldato
Gotcha, thanks.

Hmm, very tempted by this - likely to switch to 3 anyway when my (non 4G) Vodafone contract expires in July, and it looks like a lovely phone for the price. The speakers on the bottom/no SD card problems are all ones I've got with my current Nexus 4 anyway, and haven't been problematic for me.

Soldato
What a let down.

Why even bother putting stereo speakers on a phone if you're not going to put them on the front?!?

I agree on the let down front and it's true the stereo speakers are wasted at the side.

The only good things about this phone are the price and that it's running Cyanogen Mod 11S.

The phone is quite big as well...it dwarfs the Z2.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/OnePlus-One-vs-Xperia-Z2-vs-Galaxy-S5-vs-One-M8-size-comparison-one-affordable-biggie_id55450

Epic fail....total win on the hype generated though lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed, the size of these phone's is getting silly now.

I really hope the Mpto X+1 delivers here - it has the market wide open now for a 'normal' sized device.

Soldato
Agreed, the size of these phone's is getting silly now.

I really hope the Mpto X+1 delivers here - it has the market wide open now for a 'normal' sized device.

Let's hope so....Moto absolutely must release the Moto X+1 around the world at the same time and not make us wait around 6 months like they did with the Moto X.

Soldato
This phone is far too cheap for me to complain. I'll just sit back and patiently wait for the reviews. I'm perfectly happy with my Nexus 5 so far, so I'm not in a rush to buy this phone... yet :D

I thought their promotional video is really cool though. FAR better than any of the other companies.

Look at 1:10. Waterproof?

Soldato
I like what they're doing in terms of disrupting the market, the more wanting to chase the lower price / flag ship specs end of the market the better for consumers. If they grab a large market share the others will have to react in a similar vein. I think ~£250 for a decent smart phone is reasonable enough when you consider the price of tablets and how mass produced both are.

Soldato
Phones have more radios and so on, AFAIK this includes more licences fees, its the reasons tablets with cellular cost more. One+ would be much better if it was just smaller, having your own phone being a phablet is sort of limiting yourself.

Soldato
The Galaxy S5 costs ~$250 to make and that's just the component cost.

Be wary that while this component price estimation gives a neat overview of the phone's cost, it doesn't include R&D, software, distribution and marketing costs.

So the profit on this phone is very small.

Soldato
That's a great strategy - I hope they can sustain it.

It's the price and specs that grabs attention the most...and they've pretty much nailed it. On top of that they have outed a classy design.

Mobster
Soldato
That may be true, but the fact is: they used the slogan 'Never Settle' and it seems they have settled for many things.

Apart from the price, there really is nothing different about this phone.

Soldato
Can't believe people GAF about a slogan. I want the best bang for buck phone and if reviews are good for this device it'll be a no brainer for me to sell my S4 and grab one.

Back
Top Bottom