Thinking of getting a pet rat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
hmmm...now I really want one. I had better wait until after my trip to america, as pursuading my mum to take it for 2 weeks would be more challenging than swimming in a volcano.

I have considered smaller pets as I cant afford a dog, and a small pet would probably be perfect for my preferred lonely home, need the company TBH.

Soldato
OP
hmmm...now I really want one. I had better wait until after my trip to america, as pursuading my mum to take it for 2 weeks would be more challenging than swimming in a volcano.

I have considered smaller pets as I cant afford a dog, and a small pet would probably be perfect for my preferred lonely home, need the company TBH.

My mum always loved my rats.

Yeah I couldn't get a dog I rent and move around all the time and have no garden. I'm thinking of a rat purely because I need the company too. I'm doing my own self employed stuff at the moment and basically I have very little money and no friends practically :D

So a rat would be a welcome addition to my life methinks.

Associate
Guys just a heads up if your thinking about getting pet rats. Always get a pair if not more. Rats are really social creatures and get physically depressed and sad when they don't have a playmate of there own species. You can only give them so much companionship and two rats cost virtually the same as one would in terms of food etc and it will be exactly the same upkeep in regards to cleaning etc with two rats as it would with one.

Plus it's always funny watching them play with each other. To give you an idea of cost I get a 4kg bag of rat nuggets from pets at home for £6 and that will usually last my 3 boys a good month or so if not longer. :)

Soldato
OP
Guys just a heads up if your thinking about getting pet rats. Always get a pair if not more. Rats are really social creatures and get physically depressed and sad when they don't have a playmate of there own species. You can only give them so much companionship and two rats cost virtually the same as one would in terms of food etc and it will be exactly the same upkeep in regards to cleaning etc with two rats as it would with one.

Plus it's always funny watching them play with each other. To give you an idea of cost I get a 4kg bag of rat nuggets from pets at home for £6 and that will usually last my 3 boys a good month or so if not longer. :)

This,

I've read it in multiple places it is really best to just get 2, you just need a bigger cage and a little more food but they are so much happier to have a buddy.

Soldato

Noted, will look into getting 2 :)

Associate
Well I'm rather worried. Found a fairly large lump on my youngest boy tonight. Seemed to just come out of nowhere. Hoping it's just an abscess or something but I have that horrible feeling it's something else. Shaved a bit of his fur to see clearer but there's no spot scab or scratch

Soldato
OP
Well I'm rather worried. Found a fairly large lump on my youngest boy tonight. Seemed to just come out of nowhere. Hoping it's just an abscess or something but I have that horrible feeling it's something else. Shaved a bit of his fur to see clearer but there's no spot scab or scratch

Hopefully it's nothing just keep a close eye on it and if it gets worse go to the vet. Or post on a vet forum asking for some advice.

Associate
Hopefully it's nothing just keep a close eye on it and if it gets worse go to the vet. Or post on a vet forum asking for some advice.

Fingers crossed :) it's just a shame I'm going away tomorrow for the weekend so won't be able to keep an eye on it.

Associate

It kinda looks like what my boy had. His started to scab up so I thought "abcess" but it didn't go away/wouldn't pop so I took him to the vet as it just got bigger and was starting to look painful. He got it removed to be on the safe side and it was pretty massive under the skin.

I'd get it removed to be on the safe side if he doesn't have any health problems. My boy was 2 and managed surgery just fine.

Soldato

[/IMG]

I hope your worrying for nothing :/

Associate
It kinda looks like what my boy had. His started to scab up so I thought "abcess" but it didn't go away/wouldn't pop so I took him to the vet as it just got bigger and was starting to look painful. He got it removed to be on the safe side and it was pretty massive under the skin.

I'd get it removed to be on the safe side if he doesn't have any health problems. My boy was 2 and managed surgery just fine.

Thanks Dogma, roughly how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking. I know all vets are different but just want a general idea of what to expect?

I hope your worrying for nothing :/

Me too, thanks guys. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks Dogma, roughly how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking. I know all vets are different but just want a general idea of what to expect?

Me too, thanks guys. :)

It cost £60ish. That was for the consult before, the operation using the anaesthetic, antibiotics and a follow up appointment.

Not all vets are rat savvy so make sure your boy is not injected with straight Baytril (the ab normally given to rats) and that its diluted with saline otherwise you could be left with a baytril burn. I always make sure I get oral abs after too.

If the give you abs to see if it clears they will give you too small a dose most likely. Because of the metabolisms they're also better to be given 2 doses per day. The dosage your aiming to be getting 0.1ml per 100g of rat. So a 400g rat needs 0.4ml a day split into two doses. So 0.2 in the morning then again at night. They should also be on the course for 7-10 days.

I hope that made sense!

Associate
Certainly does. Much appreciated...sadly I'm away all weekend but when I get back will check if it's improved. If not it's a vet visit. Going to be worrying like he'll when I'm away hehe.

Associate
Guys yous said you wanted updates, Luckily the little guys has come through fine. I beleive it was just an abcess as it scabbed up and the lumps just went down by itself. Still a little left but he is getting there. :)

Associate
Must admit they say not to buy from pet stores but I got mine from pets at home and they are fine and very affectionate and loving. Does depend on the store and the breeder they get them from but my local pets at home has always been good and the staff really do care about the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom