Crucial M550 SSD

Associate
After spending most of last night/this morning reading reviews on the M500, M550 and the 840 Evo 1TB drives I have today put an order in for the 840 Evo.

If you look around you can find the Sammy for less than the M550 AND M500 with the £50 cashback, I paid less than £310 for the drive and caddy with the cashback offer that expires on the 3rd May.

It comes out pretty much on top for speed and I/O of the large drives, the only place it falls down is reliability SSD Endurance test as they use TLC flash instead of MLC - the link is a bit long if you read all the updates but give a good idea of how much data you can write to SSD's before they start to fall over)

Hope this helps :D

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

After spending most of last night/this morning reading reviews on the M500, M550 and the 840 Evo 1TB drives I have today put an order in for the 840 Evo.

If you look around you can find the Sammy for less than the M550 AND M500 with the £50 cashback, I paid less than £310 for the drive and caddy with the cashback offer that expires on the 3rd May.

It comes out pretty much on top for speed and I/O of the large drives, the only place it falls down is reliability SSD Endurance test as they use TLC flash instead of MLC - the link is a bit long if you read all the updates but give a good idea of how much data you can write to SSD's before they start to fall over)

Hope this helps :D
Nice summary!

Associate
You will find that most of the current SSD's on the market fall down after a certain amount of writes but strangely they pick up perfectly after a firmware update, espescially for those with no prewrite buffer. The samsungs have a read/write buffer unlike most other manufacturers. This goes for the EVO and Pro series, but even they are not imune to falling over without even given a start. Prewrite buffers are handy if you are in the middle of nowhere and your power goes down. Laptops as you know are prone to do this and this was primarily what the Samsung Pro's were used for, especially military and working in the field when it comes to armed forces. Temperature restraints are another so you had better read up on those in case we have an exceptionally hot summer. On my tests the Kingston HyperX came off the best and the Samsung Pro a close second, The Samsung wrote a little longer so sustained more heat.

Back
Top Bottom