OCUK Diplomacy online

Soldato
To move things on....

How many people do you need for a game?
Burnsy, what's Vassel? I found a website by Googling "play diplomacy online" but no idea if the place is any good.

Depending on the above, I'm ok with setting a game up (unless it requires some level of experience, in which case someone else can do it :D).

Man of Honour
To move things on....

How many people do you need for a game?
Burnsy, what's Vassel? I found a website by Googling "play diplomacy online" but no idea if the place is any good.

Depending on the above, I'm ok with setting a game up (unless it requires some level of experience, in which case someone else can do it :D).

Vassal is an java based game engine for board games. If there is a website it probably makes sense to use that though.

Soldato
Can I play if I have no clue how to? :D

Diplomacy is really easy. For each turn, you'll try to move each Army or Fleet you control from one zone to another or declare that it will hold. Armies and Fleets can also support moves or holds by other Armies and Fleets if they could make the move themselves. The unit with the most support gets to occupy the zone, with a holding unit winning ties; a displaced holding unit moves to an empty adjacent zone or is disbanded. The only other order is that Fleets can convoy Armies across sea zones.

Orders are phrased by A or F for the unit type, the name of the zone it's in and either the name of the destination if it's moving or the order it's supporting. So to move a Fleet from London to the English Channel you'd write:

F London - English Channel

If on the next turn the Fleet wanted to convoy an Army from London to Calais, you would write:

A London - Calais
F CON (A London - Calais)

And if you had a unit in Paris wanting to support the move, you'd add

A SUP (A London - Calais)

The next turn you want to keep Paris but are worried you might get pushed out, so you order:

A Paris HOLD
A Calais SUP (A Paris HOLD)

After every other turn you count the number of supply centres occupied by each player, and they adjust the number of units they have to match that number with build and remove orders.

Soldato
Oh yeah, the rules I forgot:

1) If a supporting unit is attacked by a unit other than one it was supporting an attack against, its order is changed to Hold.

2) If a convoying fleet is displaced then convoyed army doesn't move (should be obvious).

3) You can daisy chain convoy orders to move an army through more than one sea zone at a time.

4) All orders are written in secret and resolved simultaneously.

Mechanically it's a really simple game where Italy has no hope of ever winning. This is why it's called "Diplomacy" and not "War". The real game is played by making agreements with other players - and backstabbing them when the time is right. Never play Diplomacy with friends, because you won't all be friends by the end of the night.

Back
Top Bottom