New PC tower/upgrade Budget £650

Associate
Hello all,

I was looking at my pc and thinking it was probably in need of an overhaul. Please see below the current spec from 2009.

The basic need would be for light gaming. Here are a few questions as well as a spec please...

1) Could anything be salvaged?

2) If I was to leave this whole I could use it for backing up pictures? Or what would you recommend as an alternative backup.

3) It seems a waste taking a few bits out when I could possibly give it to my parents for general browsing.They do have other devices such as an ipad and mobiles. There general use is internet surfing with fibre broadband...

4) If I was to build from scratch needing an os I have an old mesh computer with a xp serial stuck to it, so could I possibly get a windows upgrade for cheaper than buying a new os? I don't have a window xp cd though.

5) I do not necessarily need it now, is anything going to change the prices or anything worth waiting to be released?

6) I like the idea of the smaller condensed towers but does this just increase the price because you are limited on component choice.

I have a Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" 7MM solid state drive. That is currently in a mac and has only been in for a month which I can take to use for my PC.

A mouse and a keyboard would be needed but I would get them separate to this budget.

I am happy with the monitor.

Budget would be £650.

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L iP45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard.

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

RAM Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel (TWIN2X4096-6400C5C)

Gfx Card Asus ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail

PSU Corsair HX 620W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-620HXUK)

Case Coolermaster Centurion 5 Silver

HDD Western Digital WD6400AACS 640GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM

Monitor Samsung Lavendar P2350 23" LCD Monitor 16:9 Full HD 1920x1080

Windows 8.1 installed

Soldato
1) Could anything be salvaged?

Yes PSU, case & HDD.

2) If I was to leave this whole I could use it for backing up pictures? Or what would you recommend as an alternative backup.

Check out file hosting services such as dropbox & onedrive. You could also buy an external HDD and backup files onto this. These are just a few solutions that I know of which are popular, I'm sure someone can chip in with some more. Actually recently there was a thread about this that might be useful to check out: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18597441&highlight=backup

4) If I was to build from scratch needing an os I have an old mesh computer with a xp serial stuck to it, so could I possibly get a windows upgrade for cheaper than buying a new os? I don't have a window xp cd though.

Not sure if there's an upgrade

5) I do not necessarily need it now, is anything going to change the prices or anything worth waiting to be released?

As above Z97 out soon so worth waiting for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom