Non traditional board games

Associate
Just finished playing a game with my girlfriend, she enjoyed it once she got use to the rules. She won't admit it but she started to cheer the dice rolls. We did lose in the end but it was fun and a surprising amount of strategy involved towards the end.

aaannnddd amazon have just sent me one of their gay "amazing offer deals" and it featured ravenloft at £35. Will not buy! really want a campaign mode!

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished playing a game with my girlfriend, she enjoyed it once she got use to the rules. She won't admit it but she started to cheer the dice rolls. We did lose in the end but it was fun and a surprising amount of strategy involved towards the end.

aaannnddd amazon have just sent me one of their gay "amazing offer deals" and it featured ravenloft at £35. Will not buy! really want a campaign mode!

The general idea seems to be that Ravenloft is the worst of the three. But in any case you can interchange the monsters etc between the three games and also those Dungeon Command expansion packs for the stand alone game I believe.

Are there no campaigns on BGG?

Soldato
Just ordered

Carcasonne
Love Letter and Uno :p

My copy of Carcassone arrived the other day along with Lost Cities, the latter based on recommendations from this thread.

I knew the missus would like Lost Cities, she was really reluctant to play but she loved it and has already asked to play again :)
Have to say it's an excellent little two player game, for something so simple to play, it can be quite tactical. I highly recommend it!

Still working on getting her to play Carcassone, I am hoping she will like it once she's had a few games.

PoD

PoD

Associate
My copy of Carcassone arrived the other day along with Lost Cities, the latter based on recommendations from this thread.

I knew the missus would like Lost Cities, she was really reluctant to play but she loved it and has already asked to play again :)
Have to say it's an excellent little two player game, for something so simple to play, it can be quite tactical. I highly recommend it!

Get 7 Wonders if she likes Lost Cities. They both use a drafting mechanic, but 7 Wonders has a great theme to go with it.

Love Letters is also really good, and it leads into better drafting mechanics card games, such as 7 Wonders or Race for the Galaxy, which is easily my favorite game

Soldato
Get 7 Wonders if she likes Lost Cities. They both use a drafting mechanic, but 7 Wonders has a great theme to go with it.

Love Letters is also really good, and it leads into better drafting mechanics card games, such as 7 Wonders or Race for the Galaxy, which is easily my favorite game

Are they all suitable for 2 players?

The missus is really into Lost Cities now, she's the one bugging me for games all the time now lol. She beat me last game too :o

PoD

PoD

Associate
Yeah it uses a 'third' dumb player which is essentially a board that houses resources, so you can play as you would in a 3 player game.

It works great though and me and my missus play it all the time and yeah she beats me in Lost Cities and 7 Wonders...and now Race for the galaxy...

Honestly 7 Wonders is a MUST own for anyone into board games because it scales from 2 all the way to 7 players and although complicated to understand initially, once you have either one play through or someone pro explain it (See Rahdo on Youtube for good game walk through) then you will find it really simple.

Get it and the expansions and I promise you that you won't regret it

Associate
I played a couple of games with my friends they had already started Warhammer 40k before I met them. I wanted to get involved but I really was not interested in the gameplay after watching a few games.

I did play necromunda as the ratskin renegades which was along a similar theme where you could see the progression or ultimate demise of some of your gang members that had took a fatal wound from a power fist or a lasgun, to being blinded in one eye to lose an ability at shooting long range(ballistic skill in game). It was to some extent a role play game.

Recently I have borrowed many a game from a friend and have bought quite a few games...

Games I own Hannabi, Pandemic(Co-op), Breakaway Rider, Love Letter, Lancaster, Indigo, Backgammon, Bull in a china shop, Hive, Chess, Hansa Teutonica, Werewolf, Braggart, Scrabble, Dixit, 6 Nimnt! and Bang the dice game.

Newly bought and waiting for an outing Mage wars.

Games I do not own but enjoy Small World, Dune, Lost Cities(board game), Ticket to Ride, Transamerica Dominion and mascarade.

Borrowing Cosmic Encounter the games workshop edition I am currently borrowing will hopefully play next weekend.

I borrowed Agricola and read the rules played in solo and It is heavy(the box) and also to digest. knew I was going to struggle to get anyone else to play it.

I played game of thrones I had an okay experience a long political game it was the 2nd edition I believe. I prefer playing with the hidden cards where the game can end when someone gets a certain amount of tokens. I've seen a really bad game where someone who did not know the abilities of another house and suffered a significant loss in the 2nd turn and game up and the game was then broken. I understand playing for second or kingmaker(if you are out of the running to win but can still choose the winner) is no fun in a game but this is seriously bad either game design, steep learning curve or poor sportsmanship on leaving the game.

I am interested in co-op games Pathfinder is high on my list to try...

Any recommendations are welcome! If you want to know about any of the games I will gladly enlighten my experiences.

Soldato
We play as a family so use family rules in games where available and get the younger based games so may have different tastes to most of you!

We have been playing a lot of Flashpoint (co-op fire fighters against a fire) recently, still adding in extra bits to move from the family game to the full game.

Last week we bought The Forbidden Desert (again co-op explorers trying to escape a sandstorm) and love it, it changes so much during the game and each game feels different. It was very hard so we took out a 'sun beats down' card and now it seems fairer when we play with an 8 and an 11 year old!

Today a massive and very heavy parcel arrived! Just opened and started reading the rules for Galaxy Trucker (Anniversary Edition). It looks fantastic for a family game.

Any one had any experience of the above and have any advice for play or even expansions?

Associate
...snip...

There's some spectacular games in that list Demetrius.

Agricola is one of those games that is very easy to play, but to have any kind of passable strategy takes some learning (or blind luck!)... I recommend starting with the family version so as not to scare people off...

I love Mage Wars, to the point that I have bought as much as I can get my hands on and I am really looking forward to the next expansion. Sadly, I don't have a regular opponent (other than the wife, but it's too conflict heavy for her). I'm hoping that we get some Organised Play in the NorthWest at some point.

Dune is a game that I have played once (with 6) and loved to bits - I was considering making my own copy (there's plenty of threads on BGG), but I just don't have the regular gaming circle to make it worth my while at the moment. One for the future ;)

Pathfinder is very enjoyable, with the right crowd - I think our campaign has just finished the first adventure deck (with the group I manage to get together with about once every 8 weeks...). Eventually, we'll finish :p

Associate

Agricola is simply to learn and hard to master. Although simply to a degree reading through the rules it takes a while to get your head around. My judgement of games being heavy usually involve explaining to others especially when heuristics(rule of thumb e.g. control squares of the board, don't starve the family) of the game when you have not played the game yourself. Most games can feel heavy to this extent. The game length is another factor maintaining interest can wane with people who do not wish to over think moves and options.

I'm in the process of making my own Dune game and have a copy of the rules if you ever decide to... Cosmic encounter seems to follow very similar lines and possibly more fluid and chaotic...

Excellent on the pathfinder front co-op games seem to suit me.

For cheap games I have subscribed to the BGG Euro deals on the forum people may find that of use from time to time great deals. Another game I own in Kingdom Builder which on amazon.de was very cheap you can find translations of the 8-12 cards that need them. It supplements my games I would not usually buy.

I have also played settlers of catan which I found enjoyable to a degree very similar structure to monotony(harsh and unfair). ;)

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Just got back from the UK Game Expo and picked up Kingdom Builder and City of Zombies.

City of Zombies is good if you want to improve your kids maths abilities whilst Kingdom Builder seems to be a fairly fun game with a lot of replay-ability due to different targets each game and lots of map options.

I managed to resist Dropzone Commander, at least until the summer when I shall have some more free time...

Associate
My wife and I went to Newcastle Gamers board game group at the weekend and had a game of Alahambra which was fairly enjoyable, then a five player game of Pandemic which we both reall enjoyed.

We've also bought Letters from Whitechapel which we have only played once. It was enjoyable though.

The most fun game we've picked up lately, has been an.original copy of GOSU (Goblin Supremacy), which I believe was designed by some MTG playtesters. It certainly has the feel of it at times, but you draw from a common deck and it takes a good deal of skill to play well, though anybody at all can pick it up.

At the moment I've got one eye on a copy of Mice and Mystics, or at least I would have if I could find a UK retailer who doesn't want triple it's RRP.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
RDM were games a lot cheaper at the expo?

I really enjoy kingdom builder anyone can pick it up and play without a lengthy rules explanation.

No, games were pretty much standard price with the occasional deal. But you do get a chance to try a lot out, we bought Kingdom Builder after playing a demo of it.

Soldato
We've also bought Letters from Whitechapel which we have only played once. It was enjoyable though.

At the moment I've got one eye on a copy of Mice and Mystics, or at least I would have if I could find a UK retailer who doesn't want triple it's RRP.

Mice and Mystics isn't worth its RRP, from what I hear it doesn't have much replay value.

Who won Letters From Whitechapel? I've also got it on the table once and narrowly scraped a win as Jack.

Back
Top Bottom