Must watch video for many people.

Associate
Is this one of the most important photography videos on YouTube? With all the misleading advertising of lenses for crop cameras I think it is.

Note regarding the part about ISO noise: He is assuming a similar sensor technology level across the different cameras. Also, he is talking about viewing the images at the same size (scaling the pixels as needed) and not viewing on a pixel-by-pixel basis.

Caporegime
Tl:dw for me so I don't know if I agree with the guy or not.
But he already annoyed me with the focal length stuff. The focal length of the lens is just a physical measurement, the distance from the center of the front lens element to the sensor plane. This doesn't change putting the lens on a different sensor.

This has always been the case, it is nothing new dud to crop sensors. Medium format lenses would appear to be way longer than the 35mm equivalent.

So how else do you sell a lens other than the physical description? You could use field of vies in degrees, and this has benefits in highlighting the large changes in blues angle at the wide angle (e.g 10mm vs 11mm on a crop a highly visible difference). But this doesn't stop crop factors affectng the field if view. And the field of view numbers are presented in the lens specs.

Some of the other things are true. Sensor size certainly doesn't affect Bokeh. Most people just have no idea what Bokeh is and think wafer thin DoF is Bokeh. Larger sensors don't even hive shallower DoF directly, only indirectly due to subject distances at equal focal lengths and subject size.

Soldato
He seems to be trying to make out that you can achieve the same image regardless of sensor size. Fair enough, but he fails to point out during his ISO talk that to match a full frame camera at 100 iso an aps-c camera would need to be at ISO40 (which doesn't exist).

Again when he talks about depth of field, to match f1.4 on full frame would require f0.9 on aps-c. I don't know of too many f0.9 lenses available for aps-c cameras, or f0.5 lenses for CX sensor cameras.

Back
Top Bottom