where do i stand with this

Associate
my wife bought a ford street KA last week,

as part of the deal we got half a tank of fuel and there was a cut in the foldable hoods window which they said they would replace.

when we picked it up, the cut was still in the window and they said they would get the fitter to come fit the new window this week, as we drove away i noticed the petrol light was on, went back in and said "you said you would put half a tank in" which he suddenly remembered and handed over £30.

now the car got MOT'ed 3 days before we picked it up,

noticed tonight that its leaking brake fluid from somewhere near the block and while i was poking around found out the 2 front tyres are bald on the inside, really bald.

oh and we still havent had the new window fitted yet.

what can i do?

Caporegime
You take it back.

But you also take more care in future. Bald tyres are something obvious you really should have spotted from the start. Bald only on the inside means alignment is off too.

Caporegime
No way the car got it's MOT with tyres like that. Wouldn't be surprised if they swapped them after the MOT or the tester gets a lot of business from them. If you think the MOT is dodgy you can let VOSA know on their website I'm sure.

Soldato
No way the car got it's MOT with tyres like that. Wouldn't be surprised if they swapped them after the MOT or the tester gets a lot of business from them. If you think the MOT is dodgy you can let VOSA know on their website I'm sure.

Report to VOSA. I bought a lovely Mazda and picked it up 1 day after MOT. Hearing a grating noise start on the way home I inspected the brakes. The rears were metal to metal.

I reported to VOSA, got the car fixed re-MOTed and serviced at both the garages cost.

Associate
OP
Gonna ring the guy today, i bet he tries to fob me off but he either sorts it or im using that template to reject it.

Shame on me for missing the tyres, i took it for granted that the outside was still half decent.

Last edited:
Associate
Am I the only one who inspects the cars with a fine tooth combe before buying?. Tyres, brake pads and the taste of the engine oil are all standard for me.....

You can never trust anyone, especially money grabbing dealers!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Gonna ring the guy today, i bet he tries to fob me off but he either sorts it or im using that template to reject it.

Shame on me for missing the tyres, i took it for granted that the outside was still half decent.

Sounds like a shady MOT tbh, take pics of the tyres before doing anything else.

I'd visit the place if it's not far, leave the car there and advise you're rejecting the car.

If they kick up a fuss let them know you will be contacting VOSA with regards to suspect MOT.

Associate
OP
Just an update:

Rang him today to see how its going, he said he flushed the system and that has fixed the leak, i asked "how does flushing a system fix a leak?" He said something or other i couldnt make out.

If it still leaks ill just push it back on him.

I asked about the window to which he now said he is going to repair.
"Hey, you said you would put a new one on!, that was the deal when we bought the car!"
He stumbled with his words mentioning he couldnt find one in a scrap yard
"You said a new window, not a 2nd hand replacement"
He said he would ring his guy tomorrow.

I have a feeling we will be rejecting this.

Caporegime
Take it back and DO NOT fix anything. If you do that you can't prove that it was broken in the first place, only that you had things replaced.

My car came with a bent MOT when we bought it, we left it too long and fixed a few things before we realised, the dealer wriggled out, and in the end we had to fork out £700 for repairs.

Soldato
If he's messing with you at this point there is a chance he will have bodged more stuff, just save yourself some hassle and reject it.

Back
Top Bottom