Stulid Tested all of OcUK Thermal Paste Range

Soldato
Great writeup Stu even though ambient wasn't recorded (sorry, felt that wasn't mentioned enough ;) )

Not a huge issue as such a wide test of products can only provide a 'baseline' for others to do the indepth tests anyway. A server room would be a perfect place for this - constant temps, airflow and lack of windows (sunlight can easily heat a room 2+ degrees in an hour or 2).

Of course there are so many ways to apply paste, I still go with the old method of a rice grain, spread (usually by paper) over the whole ICS, then polished (to use up what's on the paper) into the headsink. Giving it a good wiggle before clamping/screwing down!

Of course you enter into the avenues of what pastes spread best at different temperatures and how long each takes to cure fully... Then onto life-cycle and shelf-life! These are more for testing in lab conditions than a server room and far in advance of 99% of applications...!

The time and effort your tests must've taken are a true testament to your character, don't let negative seeming comments on here tell you that people don't appreciate the time and effort it took! The results are more than enough for people to base their cooling choices on! :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Still using Artic Silver 5 on any builds i do, and am still extremely happy with the results after years of use. Next time i need some more(lasts a good number of applications), i'll likely buy the same again as i see no reason to change when i'm getting great results from it after years and years of continued use.

I've been using AS5 in combination with the following stuff all this time and it's almost effortless, cleaning and (re)applying compound in any system.

Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier

Associate
Thats sure a lot of work to do to tell people the best paste, thanks :) Gonna grab some Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme. I did pop in here to find out when you should re-apply your paste but no joy. Whens best to do so? Also may be worth putting said info on the first post ;)

Well personally I do it every 6-12 months. I don't have a specific reason why. I just do it xD

Soldato
If I was buying thermal paste tomorrow with my own money, the Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme or MX-2 would be first on my shopping list with the Prolimatech PK-1 Nano and Alpenföhn "Snow Cannon" following close behind.

Or the Noctua NT-H1, Thermalright ChillFactor 3. They all perform roughly the same, not electrically conductive, and are easy to use. My MX-4 is also doing a good job. I would probably take a punt on the gelid GC-E though.

Associate
The thing is one shouldn't NEED to reapply tim every 6 months to a year. It should be only when you change blocks/cpu's only

Stulid did a pretty cool job at the testing too.

Associate
I bought my intel i5 3570k last year and added my corsair h80i cooler and applied the thermal paste it that it came with

I just want to know is this actually efficient enough or can anybody recommend any top end paste. I don't want cheap stuff I want top of the range.
just to note, my friend set my pc to overclock

according to CPU-Z my cpu is running at:

core speed: 4299.00 MHz
multiplier: x 43.0 ( 16 - 43 )
bus speed: 99.98 Mhz

if that helps, I do a lot of gaming and my pcis left on overnight as I have world community world running 24/7

thank you I hope someone can help

Soldato
I bought my intel i5 3570k last year and added my corsair h80i cooler and applied the thermal paste it that it came with

I just want to know is this actually efficient enough or can anybody recommend any top end paste. I don't want cheap stuff I want top of the range.
just to note, my friend set my pc to overclock

according to CPU-Z my cpu is running at:

core speed: 4299.00 MHz
multiplier: x 43.0 ( 16 - 43 )
bus speed: 99.98 Mhz

if that helps, I do a lot of gaming and my pcis left on overnight as I have world community world running 24/7

thank you I hope someone can help

Don't change thermal paste. The one that comes pre-applied is better than most after market ones and it is already spread out evenly which you'll fail to replicate fully by other means.

Soldato
Thanks for this, helped decided on the gelid solution for my upcoming re build, im very curious to see the temperature difference as the paste on my current system was provided with a nh-d14 :D can't remember what paste it is now but i put it on quite a lot of systems

Soldato
Using MX-2 here but only because it was on weekly when I was doing my build!

Find it slightly watery (it also seems to separate slightly) so will probably switch back to AS5 once it's all gone.

Back
Top Bottom