• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Haswell Refresh Processors Codenamed Devil’s Canyon – Launching in Mid 2014 With Unlocked Desi

Associate
Where did you get this chip, that's very impressive chip? was this sold as binned chip or you won the lottery?
Do you have plans to sell this chip?;)

It was the first and only one I bought retail at launch. Got some interesting offers back then and refused because I like my chip too much, and still do.

Might consider it once the 8-core HW-E chips come out but other than that, meh.

Associate
AMD chips are designed and priced to compete against i3 and i5 in the main which they do pretty well in everyday tasks.

They don't currently compete against i7 but they are looking to change this in the future.

A respected source I trust tells me they have tested 4690K with poor results. We have our 4690K and 4790K samples next week so I will try then but I am not holding my breath.

8pack, does OCUK intend to sell overclocked CPU bundles for 4790K? like the 'extreme bundle' for 4770k oc at 4.6G last summer

Associate
It was the first and only one I bought retail at launch. Got some interesting offers back then and refused because I like my chip too much, and still do.

Might consider it once the 8-core HW-E chips come out but other than that, meh.

How much you;ve been offered in the past?:p

Associate
I am not sure about bundles. I would speculate yes once we find a great batch to use.

8pack, did you bin those bundled 4770K chips @ 4.6G personally last summer?
I;m expecting a good 4790K chip with very strong IMC, is it possible to save one for me during the binning process?

Associate
What exactly is a "binned" CPU?
Going to wait until the K chips come in and then take the plunge, would like a decent overclocker if at all poss.

Binning may refer to many things and in general is considered to be a process of testing and throwing away or sorting in different categories dies or packaged chips according to their performance compared against some specifications. During the manufacturing process after cutting the wafer into dies it may be with the form of throwing away dies that have a dust or other particle on that particular spot on the wafer. Or it might be the case that a die gets damaged during the cutting process. Then after packaging it (pretty much imagine the packaging as putting legs/LGA/BGA conductors on the I/O pins of a die) might be the case that a chip cannot work within the specification limit defined in advance and cannot be classified as any of the products being offered by the company, so it also goes in the bin (from there the term binning).

In that case binning is regarded to testing products (CPUs, Memory, GPUs, etc.) after the manufacturer has done all their QC tests and choosing only the examples that perform the best in a specific task - usually overclocking. It may be aimed towards low operational voltages and/or temperature that usually mean good performance on air/water cooling, or towards high leakage that can possibly allow good results on sub-zero temperatures.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was offered $600 for a reference Powercolor 7850 once upon a time. It was a golden GPU that could bench 1400MHz on the stock air. I think it was the the fastest air-cooled GPU ever benched at the time. Unfortunately I refused and then managed to kill it several weeks later.

.....take the money.

Permabanned
I really hope OCUK do the extreme bundles again, as i'll snap one up. Just sell what it replaces ;)

Same here, I've got the money saved for a monitor which I'd happily use to get one of these and then I can sell my 4770k parts to get my monitor money back so come on Overclockers spread the love.;)

No promoting competitors, read the rules - Davey

When I got it I put it all together and had a working PC (My first DIY build, I'm green) so I was happy, Months later while going through the bio's I realized it only had a 4.1 o/c not 4.4 as advertised, So I decided to try to increase the o/c myself, I couldn't get it stable so I sold the bundle and did a 4770k build, My usual luck held and I got a poor chip, so I need to get a pre-binned bundle from someone I can trust.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No promoting competitors, read the rules - Davey

How was that promoting someone else?

The only thing you should have taken away from that post was NOT TO BUY FROM THEM.

Did you even read it or did you just jump on it because of the link?
All I was showing was how they claim to give you a 4.4 overclock which was a lie.
My intent was to name and shame them so people know who to avoid.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nordic Hardware say June might just be paper launch..

Paper Launch of Devil's Canyon - Intel's new overclocking processors may take until September

:eek:

After the launch of Intel's finputsade Haswell processors awaits enthusiasts worldwide launch of Devil's Canyon, processors promised to put overclocking in the main room again. But according to sources at Nordic Hardware will be just a paper launch in the summer - the dealers, no processors before the end of September.

http://translate.google.com/transla...rer-kan-droeja-till-september.html&edit-text=

Soldato
OP
Nordic Hardware usually pretty good with info but I hope this paper launch thing is wrong though, I've gone with 4770K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H.

Was gonna switch to 4790K in June/July and give 4770K to my boys..

Oh well if it is paper launch, boys will have to wait longer for their quad core :p

Back
Top Bottom