First internal UK flight

Soldato
Visiting a friend in near Aberdeen in the first week of July, having never flown within the UK and also having never booked flights (I've only arranged package holidays before) I expected it to be cheaper than leaving the UK. Not sure why, I just did. £174 return was the cheapest flight I could find.

This seems really dear.

Is it?

Man of Honour
Sadly, it's probably the lesser of two evils unless you fancy a galactic light year on a train.

It is expensive though.

Soldato
Like any transport, the further you go, the better value for money it is. Flying is "expensive" these days, no way else around it.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
It's also not all that much cheaper to go on the train.

The only cheap way to do it is to sell your dignity to the megabus.

Soldato
It's also not all that much cheaper to go on the train.

The only cheap way to do it is to sell your dignity to the megabus.

Done the Megabus from Aberdeen to London several times in my student days. It's brutal. The stench of the multiple KFC's people feel the need to bring onboard when boarding at Victoria, urgh.

Soldato
I've done quite a few internal UK flights (although not recently) and most of them were much cheaper than the cost of a train ticket as well as getting you there quicker. With budget airlines it normally depends how early you can book and how flexible you can be as the prices tend to reflect the demand for particular flights. Have you looked at a selection of dates and times? For example flying Tuesday evening might be a lot cheaper than flying Monday morning.

Associate
You might find flights into Glasgow or Edinburgh, followed by a bus or train to Aberdeen cheaper. Bus and train take roughly the same time, but train is far comfier.

Soldato
Book enough in advance (few weeks) and you can get an Easyjet return from Luton for £80 or so. Even BA from Heathrow (usual option) isn't that bad.

Man of Honour
It cost me £90 to do it many many years ago so its not actually gone up that much compared to what I would have expected.

Soldato
Thats not bad really if you consider Bristol -Aberdeen is a 1000mile round trip.
At 50mpg that still almost £140 on fuel alone, not to mention tyre wear etc and your time.

Caporegime
Like any transport, the further you go, the better value for money it is. Flying is "expensive" these days, no way else around it.

Better value yes, but generally more expensive. It's very bizarre for a flight that has far less associated costs like fuel to cost more than a flight to a foreign country. It only costs £60 to go to Switzerland.

Back
Top Bottom