Mondeo or Insignia? 6-7k budget

Associate
Hi. Recently posted about a Mondeo, but a friends told me to look at the insignia's aswell. 233 was a great help on my previous thread.

Just wanted to get your thoughts what I should go for

1) Mondeo 2.0 Diesel - Aim for the titanium/x ?
2) Insignia 2.0 Diesel

I avg around 20k yr+ mostly A/M roads.
After good fuel economy and some toys like cruise control/bt.

6-7k tops budget wise.

thanks

Caporegime
to be honest, both have the potential to throw massive bills as they have complicated high pressure fuel injection turbocharged engines. Neither the mondeo nor the insignia are pillars of reliable german engineering. The mondeo came 73rd in the 2013 JD power reliability survery while the insignia came 92nd.

I would drive both and see which you prefer.

Associate
I personally went for the 2.0 160 diesel.

Completed over 100 in it since purchase, and it's been a great car. Returns 700-800 miles per tank, quite quick and reliable so far. Easily eats up the miles, really pleased with it.

Soldato
yep they have potential to throw some epic bills up, our Mondeo has just swallowed up £500 in consumables this morning and nudging on towards £1500 for the month.

that said its absolutely hammered and covers 10k miles a month as a taxi so slightly harder use than most cars would see.

in fairness theres not a lot between the vw 2l tdis and fords, both can offer good mpg good performance and some eyewatering bills. the Vauxhalls on the other hand I wouldn't touch having had 2 in our hands over the years the insignias are far too soft and don't take high miles well.

skoda superb is an excellent shout if you can find one you like in budget its probably one of the comfiest taxis I've had the pleasure of using.

but out of the 2 above get the Mondeo.

potential problems to watch out for

rear trailing arm bushes - used to be an expensive job but you can now get the bushes separate got a pair for £35 each fitted them in under an hour, no longer the £600 bill it used to be.

clutches and flywheels are not a major issue certainly no worse than any other modern turbo diesel. although if your looking at one with more miles and hence slightly newer try and get one that has had this replaced- saves you a hefty bill (budget around 6-700 for clutch flywheel and slave)

consumables. brakes are cheap (just did my front and rear discs and pads for sub £200 all round with genuine ford parts. pattern stuff is peanuts front arms can be a touch pricey if you go genuine again quality stuff like lemforder can be had for £85 a side so not end of the world either.

servicing is standard fare its a stock 2l Peugeot diesel so nothing untoward although be warned if your doing it yourself the oil filter housing is a right pita to access as its buried under the throttle body.

cruise and BT is pretty much standard across the range. as is aircon and heated front windscreen.

currently spending my days battering up and down the m6 in a 2l tdci Mondeo and returning a solid 58-60mpg day in day out

this looks a good buy and within budget

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...anual/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old?logcode=p

although you can afford to be picky theres millions of the bleeding things out there

Last edited:
Soldato
Engine wise I would go for the Insignia as they use the excellent Fiat diesel range that is even adopted by the Japs.

Car wise the Mondeo seems to be better everywhere apart from the engine which Ford in my experience seems to struggle with.

Associate
I got an insignia after driving both, I found it more comfortable than the Mondeo and at this budget I think you get a more attractive interior (subjective opinion).

Both cars have the potential to throw up big bills, if you go for the insignia try to get the 160ps version though.
I think the bluetooth is better in the Fords if that is something that counts for you.

Associate
OP
I went to evan halshaw last night after hours to have a look, they had both the ford and the insignia there.

Looking at both, the ford appears to be more well built, but can get newer few more years insignia for same price as 08 mondeo.

Choices choices.

Not to keen on the skoda...

Soldato
I went to evan halshaw last night after hours to have a look, they had both the ford and the insignia there.

Looking at both, the ford appears to be more well built, but can get newer few more years insignia for same price as 08 mondeo.

Choices choices.

Not to keen on the skoda...

That's why I wouldn't get the VX. Depreciation like a lead brick. There must be a reason for that.

My money would go on Mondeo / Passat / Superb.

BTW, On what planet does the Insignia share the same premium as a Passat?

Man of Honour
Few months back I rented a car for a trip to Scotland and it turned out to be a 2013 Mondeo. Other than the hilariously dated navigation system complete with Terminal as the font (Guys, really?) it was actually an excellent car, well built, comfortable, etc.

Back
Top Bottom