Yamaha MT-125

Soldato
Yamaha are on a roll...

I know it's 'only' a 125 but by 'eck this will fly out the showroom. Full size, full 15bhp, nice dash, inverted forks, led daylight running lights, proper size tyres, and there's even an akrapovic pipe for it!! :eek:

1yamaha_390980_2014_yam_mt125_eu_mdrm3_sta_004.jpg

yamaha_390979_2014_yam_mt125_eu_mdrm3_sta_003.jpg

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2014/May/may0714-new-yamaha-125/?utm_source=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=widget

Yamaha's recently launched MT-09 and MT-07 have certainly captured the UK’s imagination with their blend of affordability and old-school simple riding pleasure, and now Yamaha has released another new MT into the market.
The new MT-125 is heavily based around the engine and running gear of the YZF-R125, which has also received a host of updates for 2014.

Highlights
• ‘Full-size’ bike image
• YZF-R125 engine and chassis
• Naked street-bike styling
• MT family DNA
• Fully-digital cockpit

The family resemblance to the bigger MT’s is blatantly apparent; gifting the new baby in the range with a commanding-looking street presence. This is no toy-like 125, and looks set to provide a really viable alternative to KTM’s excellent Duke 125.

Yamaha says that the ergonomics give a sporty but relatively upright riding position, and certainly a more relaxed perch for the rider than the sportier YZF-R. While the engine and main chassis components are shared with the YZF-R, the MT features a new tank, seat and footrests to allow for a more upright riding position. The rider is positioned 42mm further forward, while seat height is reduced by 5mm to 820mm. Tapered handlebars with large aluminium clamps also contribute towards the new street-focused ergonomics, being 100m higher and 35mm further back than the YZF-R125’s clip-ons.

The low and angular headlamp with LED day-lights makes it the absolute spit of its bigger siblings from the front, and makes for an aggressive face, and full LCD instrumentation is apparently “inspired by smart phone aesthetics”, and features bar style displays, and a shift light.

The MT-125's supersport-derived technology includes 41mm inverted fork, while the front brake system features a single floating 292mm disc, equipped with a radially mounted caliper. New race-style wheels feature a multi-spoke design consisting of six sets of thin Y-shaped and run with a 100/80-17 front tyre and a 130/70-17 rear.

Technical highlights
• Developed on the same platform as the 2014 specification YZF- R125
• Newly designed shorter tank, lower seat and minimalist bodywork for a more “urban” riding position
• Wide handlebars and revised steering angle for high agility in traffic
• Supersport-style 41mm diameter inverted fork
• Linked monoshock rear suspension with spring preload adjustment
• Single 292mm diameter floating front disc brake with radial caliper
• New racing style thin-spoke wheels
• 125cc single cylinder liquid-cooled 4-stroke SOHC 4-valves
• Steel Deltabox frame for strength and light weight
• Dry weight 126kg / Wet weight 138kg

A wide range of Genuine Yamaha accessories will be available on launch, including an Akrapovic exhaust judging by some of the press shots. Read a full launch report in MCN on June 11, while bikes will arrive in UK dealers in July. Colours available will be Matt Red, Matt Grey and Race Blu.
No price has been set for the UK yet, but we’d expect it to come in at a shade less than the YZF-R125’s £4349. If Yamaha can manage to constrain it to sub £3999, matching or beating the KTM Duke, it could be a real winner.

More at www.yamaha-motor.eu

Soldato
Hmm.. It doesn't look right to me, with a small engine.

Not a fan of this area being.. empty;
RExpMEX.png

Everything else looks good though, maybe black forks but that's just being picky :p

Soldato
Ah, does look better from that angle and colour scheme I must admit.

Those wheels must be a joke though :D :D

Still would prefer the engine to be covered!

Don
Looks the business but I doubt it will fly out of the showrooms. It's still damn expensive for a 125cc when most people only ride a 125 as a stepping stone to a proper bike.
I just don't see the point in spending thousands on a 125 when a £300 CG125 is near as damn it as fast and does the job to get you through the next test.

Soldato
The new MT line looks to be Yamaha getting back to their best.

Theres no way its going to cost £4k.

The 07 is only £5100, there is no way they are going to price the learner version at only £1100 less.

Soldato
I reckon no less than £3800. But seeing as it is a brand new model, I do think it'll be more like the £4100 mark.

The WR125's and R125s cost like £4000-£4300

Soldato
Very nice, and something which looks like a contender for the Duke 125 if you want to spend that sort of money on a 125.

However, just wait the extra year or 2 and get something bigger! That's a lot of money for a 125 you potentially will keep for a short while then sell on with a huge chunk of depreciation.

At the thick end of £3,000 and basically knocking on £4,000 an extra grand or 2 gets you some serious bike.

Soldato
A great looking bike and at 125 it could arguably be very well suited to new bikers wanting the freedom of the road without too much power.

I'd certainly consider one for a year or two before perhaps hopping up to a Street Triple or similar!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Looks the business but I doubt it will fly out of the showrooms. It's still damn expensive for a 125cc when most people only ride a 125 as a stepping stone to a proper bike.
I just don't see the point in spending thousands on a 125 when a £300 CG125 is near as damn it as fast and does the job to get you through the next test.

300? Where?

Back
Top Bottom