Why do MS keep getting it so wrong?

Caporegime
When did you last buy or use a Mac? Because they don't cost three times as much as the equivalent Windows PC, and you don't still pay for updates. OS updates have been <£20 since 2009, and the latest one was free.

Soldato
You mean os's like Snow lepord that's already having suppet stopped for it?
The same o's that seem to be breaking more software as they go along.
If your into using 3D packages or and music studio stuff, you haven't updated since SL.

Caporegime
I don't even know what that's supposed to say. Is there a question in there somewhere?

10.6 is 4 years old, the only thing stopping you upgrading from it is if you are still running Core Solo or Core Duo CPUs (the 32-bit models), which haven't been in an Apple product since 2006.

Soldato
I would not write off MS. I think they will have a great future and as someone else has said, it will all start coming together soon enough.
MS has turned out to be one of those things or companies people love to hate. Many people who rant about them, only do so because others do.

I use Linux Mint too, but it's not as fully developed/polished/slick OS like Windows. Use Windows for 6 months and Linux for 6 months on the same machine and something many don't even think about will work in the advantage of Windows too I believe - power usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people like Macs. Like me. Choice is good. *

* I also have a gaming PC, and a Surface Pro before the fanbois arrive to demolish my choice.

It's always a preference thing,I hate Macs but prefer Linux and Windows,no right or wrong.

I also have an Android tablet and smartphone :) .

Associate
People forget about patent licensing.
Microsoft makes $220 million a year from licensing patents just from Android.
They have patents for their consoles, OS's and a ton of other stuff.
Microsoft can easily afford to make mistakes, they can afford to make enough mistakes until one day they "get it right".

Associate
I just pre-ordered the surface pro 3. From what I can see, they've finally pulled together a product that I want. I liked the 1 and 2 but they just weren't quite what I was looking for.

Cant wait to get my hands on that portable powerhouse.

Associate
One step behind is exactly it. WP8.1 looks excellent, but they're only just introducing features the competition had years ago and it is still missing some. And with every cool new Android/Apple thing people get more and more tied into their platform of choice - it would take a lot for me to jump from Android now.

Soldato

Have touch screen monitors taken off big style? It's just that the concept of standardization is fine but I just don't see a long term large pool of items to fall into the group.

I can't ever see touchscreen taking over from mouse in the desktop arena, it just doesn't make life easier when you have to reach up and move around a 23" (for me) screen, when a mouse can do it so much quickly and easily. The same for a keyboard, really who can type as quickly, or enjoy the experience, as on a physical keyboard?

Man of Honour
They get the software right, but they're archaic as a business, to slow and I expect to much internal fighting. There's no excuse on how long they've taken to implement core features on WP.

They need a consumer and enterprise line. Pro 3 looks amazing, but it's not for general public. They need a mini asap and they need a surface 3 in October. They also need a surface phone, every surface should have a kickstand.
Then they need to tie in all the things which go with it. You need the fitness trackers, the smart watches, the home automation(although that ones sorted from 1st of June they've partnered with insteon) they need a £40 arm powered TV box, with Xbox movies, youtube, Netflix, nowtv etc.

And they need to attract more app developers. Even if they have to use their wallet in the short term, as they're late to the market.

Oh and they need to be better and slightly cheaper than the competition. So make sure they beat ipad in the spec race, then sell it 10% cheaper. Doesn't need to be china android cheap.

Last edited:
Associate
They get the software right, but they're archaic as a business, to slow and I expect to much internal fighting. There's no excuse on how long they've taken to implement core features on WP.

They need a consumer and enterprise line. Pro 3 looks amazing, but it's not for general public. They need a mini asap and they need a surface 3 in October. They also need a surface phone, every surface should have a kickstand.
Then they need to tie in all the things which go with it. You need the fitness trackers, the smart watches, the home automation(although that ones sorted from 1st of June they've partnered with insteon) they need a £40 arm powered TV box, with Xbox movies, youtube, Netflix, nowtv etc.

And they need to attract more app developers. Even if they have to use their wallet in the short term, as they're late to the market.

Oh and they need to be better and slightly cheaper than the completion. So make sure they beat ipad in the spec race, then sell it 10% cheaper. Doesn't need to be china android cheap.

All of this. Their pricing is utterly delusional, no casual buyer is going to pay more for a Surface than an iPad.

Associate
Theyve shot themselves in the foot with me this weekend. Borrowed a copy of Win 8 to install on my Revo HTPC only to find that it doesnt properly support my TV for a display as its "only" an HD Ready plasma.
Glad I didnt fork out for it first

Back
Top Bottom