How to..

Associate
.. make a file server?

In my other room I have my miner which I am thinking about shutting down for good, my main desktop(gaming rig) does not have a good motherboard in terms of storage capabilities, it only got 2 sata3 6gb/s slots, the rest well they are sata3 ports they are just really slow.

The miner has a motherboard with 7 sata3 6gb/s ports, so now I wanna transform it into a file server, what do I need make this happen?

Every answer is a helpful answer!!

Soldato
You could install an OS, like FreeNAS or similar to run it as a pure file server.

If you just want to use Windows, then you can make a folder on a drive (or even the whole drive itself) and just share it. Then on the other computer just map the share like:

\\minerPC\File Store

Best to setup a DHCP reservation and/or static IP address on the file server just for ease of access.

Soldato
7870 xfire would be a crying shame in a file server though. I'd sell off extras like that and full the car with storage then as above either free nas or Linux os with a file share.

Associate
OP
7870 xfire would be a crying shame in a file server though. I'd sell off extras like that and full the car with storage then as above either free nas or Linux os with a file share.

No no trust me I'm not "that" mad. I will sell them or use them myself or give them to someone, like my brother or save them for future builds.

Mm thanks for the reply though, have to think about this a bit.

Back
Top Bottom