Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Hi guys, couple of questions. I've loved my N40L but I'm moving abroad and I need to sell it, I guess some of you have bought yours second hand so can you recommend where's good, MM, eBay? I've also misplaced my keys and I need to give it a clean, would anyone be able to lend me a key so I can get one cut?

without a key you're not going to get very far.... MM is a good place for a fast sale

Soldato
I moved house and found my old N36 in its box. Decided to revive it with XP enology as an iSCSi storage device for a VMware test box.

Stuck a Quad port Nic in it and away she goes.

Currently running vCSA and a handful of VM's in my nested lab environment.

A bit miffed i bought a real synology now.

Last edited:
Anyone had to do a BIOS recovery on a Microserver yet?

Just accidentally interrupted a BIOS flash (didn't expect the autoexec.bat, panicked and hit CTRL+C and stopped it mid flash, stupid) and now I appear to have a temporarily bricked MS.

Notes on the web say to stick a BIOS on a <2GB memory stick and give it a bit but I'm jiggered if I can find one at home. Dah.

Soldato
Has anyone got suggestion for a good upgrade CPU for the microserver?

Hitting a couple of transcoding problems streaming 1080p 5.1 files.

Currently have a "HP MicroServer N36L Athlon2 1.3GHZ DualCore" so looking for something cost effective to give me the extra boost I need to make it a little more capable.

Specifically looking for best value for money.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Has anyone got suggestion for a good upgrade CPU for the microserver?

Hitting a couple of transcoding problems streaming 1080p 5.1 files.

Currently have a "HP MicroServer N36L Athlon2 1.3GHZ DualCore" so looking for something cost effective to give me the extra boost I need to make it a little more capable.

Specifically looking for best value for money.

Not possible. CPU is soldered.

Soldato
Thats one of the reasons i moved to the gen8, bought it with the celly then binned that off for the i3....
Works fine transcoding to both ipads and an atv at the same time...

Soldato
Not possible. CPU is soldered.

Well that solves that problem :)

On to the next, what can I do!

What's the best value for money these days now that my requirements outstrip the performance of my microserver? Is there a build list for something that will meet my fairly mediocre needs?

As I only got the microserver due to the fantastic price (£145 I paid) I actually have enough room for something larger. So am I better off with a self build or is there another fantastic deal kicking around?

Man of Honour

What's the best value for money these days now that my requirements outstrip the performance of my microserver? Is there a build list for something that will meet my fairly mediocre needs?

As I only got the microserver due to the fantastic price (£145 I paid) I actually have enough room for something larger. So am I better off with a self build or is there another fantastic deal kicking around?

Depends entirely on budget and requirements. You can pack some serious power into a mini itx build, probably not the cheapest option though

Soldato
Depends entirely on budget and requirements. You can pack some serious power into a mini itx build, probably not the cheapest option though

Sorry, of course, will fire the question over to the general hardware section but really not looking to spend more than I paid for microserver - so £200 on mobo, CPU, memory and PSU as I'll be using the HDD's and I've got a spare case.

Will see how it goes!

Associate
Having a huge issue trying to boot ESXi

I've followed the steps linked below:

http://www.tinkertry.com/rufus-take...otable-usb-flash-drive-for-esxi-installation/

And I'm using the VMware .iso from here:
( https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi5 )

E4mGyCD.jpg

It goes through and makes a bootable USB drive for my N54L.

I boot my N54L and it starts to load up ESXi but then it'll hang towards the end or just stop and tell me it's been logged somewhere in non-persistent storage .

FyxItnO.jpg

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Last edited:
Associate

Sell your microserver, get the Gen8 Microserver and stick an i3 in it - as Trig did. For the price versus performance, size and noise they're really hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom