• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Watch_Dogs updgrading?

Soldato
I've been away from PC gaming for a couple of years now (other than indie games), but I've decided I want to give Watch_Dogs a go.

I know I need to upgrade my graphics card, as I'm stuck on DX10 and it requires 11, so I'm looking for some help and confirmation.

Firstly, I want to make sure the rest of my rig will be up to par to play.

I've currently got:

Intel Core i7 940 Processor
Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 DDR3 Motherboard
6GB Triple Channel DDR3
GeForce GTX 280 1024MB GDDR3

Secondly, I've been looking at GTX 760s. I'm guessing one would be adequate to play?

I was looking at either:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-206-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1830

or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-183-GW&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1830

I'd like to stay around this price point, and I'd like to have two DVI ports, as I've got two monitors. I don't think space should be too much of an issue as I've got a TJ07.

Which of these is preferable or should I be looking at alternative cards? :) I'd prefer one that comes with Watch_Dogs effectively a discount for me.

Thanks OcUK. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Second hand gtx670 is a faster and cheaper choice imo.

I'd prefer something with a warrenty to be honest. Is it cheaper once you take the £40 for the game off?

How is the rest of my spec?

Don't bother upgrading for Watchdogs. It's awful.

But if you choose to, go for a 290 or something with 4GB of VRAM

I couldn't care much on you're opinion of the game, thanks though. :)

An AMD 290? They're more than twice the price? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see any major issues with that setup, x58 is still very capable by today's standards, if the CPU isn't overclocked though you may want to consider it :)

You actually wouldn't do that much better then a 760/280 by going second hand on that budget, r9 290's are going for around £220 used which is the next logical step up.

Associate
I couldn't care much on you're opinion of the game, thanks though. :)

He's right though, have you actually played the game to see if you like it prior to upgrading your system to play it?

That's like an even more expensive version of preordering, spending money before you know it's worth it or not.

If you have, then by all means it's your dough.

Soldato
OP
I can't see any major issues with that setup, x58 is still very capable by today's standards, if the CPU isn't overclocked though you may want to consider it :)

You actually wouldn't do that much better then a 760/280 by going second hand on that budget, r9 290's are going for around £220 used which is the next logical step up.

Thanks for your help :)

I'm not sure why it matters to everyone else so badly enough to comment. I want to play the game and need an upgrade regardless. It's not the only new game I want to play ever.

I asked for technical help with my rig, not critique of the game.

Associate
Watch Dogs runs fine on my 7950 @ 1440p

High textures, mixture of high/medium and HBAO+ low

The rest of my system is similar to yours. Really though, at this point I'd buy a second hand R9 290

Back
Top Bottom