Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I dont find my gen8 any noisier than the gen7 tbh, it is a much nicer unit than the gen7 as well, I was wondering what they could do to improve the gen7 when i had it but the gen8 quality just feels sooo much nicer...

Soldato
I dont find my gen8 any noisier than the gen7 tbh, it is a much nicer unit than the gen7 as well, I was wondering what they could do to improve the gen7 when i had it but the gen8 quality just feels sooo much nicer...

Good to know, I could imagine myself picking up a Gen8 to become a VM server and retire the Gen7 to basic fileserver duties

Soldato
I put a dual port NIC in my G7 as well as a USB card, the G8 comes with USB3 as well as 2x NIC's, add to that the far better build quality and ease in adding/removing stuff on the tray makes it a much nicer machine..

Caporegime
I put a dual port NIC in my G7 as well as a USB card, the G8 comes with USB3 as well as 2x NIC's, add to that the far better build quality and ease in adding/removing stuff on the tray makes it a much nicer machine..

Its also three times the price for a headless server thats out of sight the G7 offered outstanding value at £129

Associate
Having a huge issue trying to boot ESXi

I've followed the steps linked below:

http://www.tinkertry.com/rufus-take...otable-usb-flash-drive-for-esxi-installation/

And I'm using the VMware .iso from here:
( https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi5 )

E4mGyCD.jpg

It goes through and makes a bootable USB drive for my N54L.

I boot my N54L and it starts to load up ESXi but then it'll hang towards the end or just stop and tell me it's been logged somewhere in non-persistent storage .

FyxItnO.jpg

Does anyone have a solution for this?

You need way more memory than 2GB to install 5.5.... 8 min but I would go with 16

Associate
Its also three times the price for a headless server thats out of sight the G7 offered outstanding value at £129

Correct

The G8 is also louder... runs warmer...... is a bi*** to get any decent amount of drives into... without some extra money paid out on 2.5" mounting plates for SSD's or stripped down velociraptors.

Stick a decent RAID card in and it will cook !

Only real upside is iLO.... whoop ! whoop !

Soldato
Anyone able to comment on how easy it will be to transfer my drives over to a new build?

I've currently got 2 x 2TB drives using the built in hardware raid with my microserver and I'll be moving over to potentially this build with Windows 8.

Can I unraid the drives on my microserver first then just pop one in and format the other?

Soldato
ah nuts! thanks for that!

I'll look at 16Gb today, is that Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G RAM still the best bet? Or is there anything on OCUK I could pick up?

If you want 16GB then go with the Kingston, they can be funny little boxes with RAM (especially as you're going outside of spec) Better to use a tried and tested RAM.

these still on offer anywhere or will they be coming back on cashback?

I doubt that offer will come back ever again. The Gen7 are EOL so any stock will be old stock which I don't doubt retailers will have probably claimed the offers for then selling them out at about £200+

Associate
Are any of you guys using the Microserver with Win 8.1 and XBMC ? I posted this over at XBMC but didn't get much response and was wondering if anyone had similar problems or could shed any light on what im doing wrong.

Im having a confusing problem (for me at least Smile)

My set up is as follows

HP Microserver running Windows 8.1 8gb ram 4x3TB harddrives.

With Frodo when I shut Windows down the network activity light would blink on the Microserver (its still active) and I could turn the microserver on via various devices but I usually use Yatse remote on my tablet or phone.

With Gotham installed the network activity light no longer blinks on the microserver and I cannot turn the Microserver on remotely via Wake up on Lan, the only thing I have changed is upgrading from Frodo to Gotham.

Also when I turn the system off or back on again I shuts down and boots up quicker than it would with Frodo leaving me to think maybe it going into hibernation or sleep instead of turning off ?

Down grading back to Frodo sorts the problem out but for the life of me I cant figure out how to get WOL to work on my system with Gotham installed.

BTW, WOL is set to on in BIOS and wake up on packets is set to on in the network adapter properties.

Any help would be muchly appreciated Smile

Soldato
Are any of you guys using the Microserver with Win 8.1 and XBMC ? I posted this over at XBMC but didn't get much response and was wondering if anyone had similar problems or could shed any light on what im doing wrong.

This sounds like the sleep stage the server is going into. I'm having problems with Win 8 getting it to WOL at the moment and so far have concluded it's the sleep state until I can prove it wrong tonight.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

these still on offer anywhere or will they be coming back on cashback?
I used to say no, but HP kept bringing it back, and just recently they launched yet a new version, still the same as previous, except this time bundled with 4GB RAM (so it has a new part number).

At this point the G7 Microserver has to be one of the longest-running ProLiant models ever.

Associate
This sounds like the sleep stage the server is going into. I'm having problems with Win 8 getting it to WOL at the moment and so far have concluded it's the sleep state until I can prove it wrong tonight.

I can get it to work fine just using Win8 and with XBMC Frodo but as soon as I install XBMC Gotham it wont work :(

Associate
If you want 16GB then go with the Kingston, they can be funny little boxes with RAM (especially as you're going outside of spec) Better to use a tried and tested RAM.

what would you say is a set of tried and tested RAM?

I searched this thread for the Kingston and saw a few people using it, but i'm open to suggestions for other sets.

Soldato
what would you say is a set of tried and tested RAM?

I searched this thread for the Kingston and saw a few people using it, but i'm open to suggestions for other sets.

I don't think I'm allowed to link it but I got mine from the rainforesty place after doing a lot of looking into it;

Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ValueRAM ECC Memory Kit

Most of the forum threads I read (from 'Merica) seemed to imply the Kingston was a near certain guarantee it would work but Crucial seemed more hit and miss.
The reviews on said rainforest site also confirm the Kingston RAM working.

Associate
I can get it to work fine just using Win8 and with XBMC Frodo but as soon as I install XBMC Gotham it wont work :(

Ive been playing this evening and think ive found 2 things that are causing my problem.

First it looks as though if the Microserver goes into Hibernation with Win 8.1 the onboard network card shuts down so it cant accept the WOL packets.

Second, it looks as though by default XBMC Gotham is sending the Microserver into Hibernation when I choose shutdown, infact even if I close XBMC down and go into Windows and shutdown with Gotham installed it still goes into Hibernation, this doesn't happen with XBMC Frodo.

Im going to try and PCIe network card tomorrow to see if that solves the problem.

Associate
I don't think I'm allowed to link it but I got mine from the rainforesty place after doing a lot of looking into it;

Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ValueRAM ECC Memory Kit

Most of the forum threads I read (from 'Merica) seemed to imply the Kingston was a near certain guarantee it would work but Crucial seemed more hit and miss.
The reviews on said rainforest site also confirm the Kingston RAM working.

Thanks buddy :) I'll grab some later on.

Using it to run ESXi so I can have a VM of WHS2011 as well as some linux distros to learn and practice with.

Back
Top Bottom