• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gigabyte r9 280x windows 8.1 driver issues

Associate
p6x58d-e
i7 950
6gb ram
gigabyte r9 280x
1 sdd, 1 hhd
550w psu

friend bought a used gigabyte r9 280x and wanted me to test it to see if it works, i installed the card but it doesnt fit perfectly in the case and has a slight bend in it.

the gpu fans are on and its displaying on the monitor, so i told him it was working. he then wanted me to run a program to see if it works.

i proceeded to download diablo 3 demo and a few benchmarks, 3dmark 11, furmark and novebench. none of the bench mark apps ran properly and nor will the diablo 3 demo.

each time i try to run a game im getting the same error over and over again, little pop up from the task bar says that the driver has failed then recovered yet the game/apps are still not working and crashes.

ive tried the drive from the disc that came with the gpu then the drivers from the gigabyte website the the drivers from amd then tried the beta drivers as well. still no dice.

i believe its a windows 8.1 problem as its a horrible os compared to win7 but i dont want to do a fresh install just to test a gpu.

any other ideas?

PS: diablo 3 is getting a D3D error as well as the driver failing.

Associate
OP
GUI in win8 is very time consuming.

yup, used ddu to uninstall the drivers in safemode. im thinking it might be the psu but theres also a possiblity my friend bought a dud gpu....

after uninstalling avast im getting able to get farther in a game before the driver crashes etc...

does it matter if i use amd drivers or will i need to use gigabyte drivers as its overclocked by them etc??

also if i turn the settings right down, i can play a bit more before it crashes again

PS: it now says that the application is being blocked from the graphics hardware

Last edited:
Associate
I have the gigabyte r9 280x windforce, it has double bios on it did u try the 2nd bios.
Because i had a few problem,s with mine, till i flick the switch on the card to the 2bios,
might help u never no.

Associate
np m8 glad it worked,i think the bios u were haveing problems with is it is just under volt, same as mine was.I downloaded gpu tweak and up the volts to 1.2 click applyed.Doing that fixed the bad bios for me,

Associate
I think so from factory,but the one i got from auction site second hand.
one of the bios 1st one had 1.075 volts,and second 1 had 1.2 volts prob,ly been used
for mineing think the dual bios which is on now is f60,anyway its working great glad about that lol.

Back
Top Bottom