AOC U2868PQU 4K unusable flickering

Associate
OP
However good it is supposed to be next to nobody uses those features and royalty free means nothing if your including all the other connectors on your monitor and if your doing that directly driving is impossible.
I will be avoiding DP like the plague in future even if the problems aren't caused by the standard itself whats the use if companies(AMD) don't implement it properly.

Soldato
Ah right. I thought you were talking about the Samsung. I'm not seeing that problem at all on my Samsung.

And just to clarify, the problems with Nvidia card that BadServo reports in that thread are not the unusable flickering that AMD users are reporting, and he has an Acer monitor.

The panels are obviously the same (though I expect Samsung keep the best for their products) so I wonder if there are differences in the controller boards? And how can we tell without disassembly?

Soldato
Problems aren't limited to AMD cards Nvidia users are getting standby resume problems too.

I had the Asus 4K monitor for a few days and had the signal loss problem on my R9 290X. On the thread dedicated to that monitor there were people who had Nvidia cards saying they had the same problem.

WhyScotty getting the signal loss on Titans.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26302463&postcount=88

Delpy8 is another user on that thread reporting the same problem with an Nvidia GPU.

AMD need to get the finger out if they have problems with their GPUs. Though I would imagine a driver fix might not be enough, possibly a BIOS update required.

Associate
There are plenty of reports of popping and black screens on NVIDIA, now, too.

It seems to be both a panel and CVT timing problem (not necessarily signal loss).

Tbh, I won't be bothering with 4K until the next generation of graphics cards (even if a brilliant 120/144hz 4K panel comes out in the mean time). Panels will hopefully be more reliable by then, and video cards / drivers will be working properly.

Post from Silent Scone on Overclock.net

I've been helping AMDs driver team with this one and it is definitely an issue with the timings. Least on the AOC. Need to speak with them again in the morning (I'm from UK)

It seems that the timing being used by this monitor violates the CVT spec from VESA. Both vertical and horizontal porches are out of spec.

We think that we can make an EDID patch (INF file) as a quick, short term solution.

It would appear that AOC (and possibly others) have released a product that does not meet basic compatibility requirements.

Last edited:
Associate
I spoke to soon was having the flickering black screen errors this morning tried a 30 quid gold plated dp 1.2 cable and no resolve as well as the usual trouble shooting tips ... Back to the asus 1440p , thank god it didn't sell on that auction site lol

Associate
OP
Timing problem interesting but I have sent my AOC back now and hope to be refunded soon. Like you I will wait till next gen if that is an unimpressive cramming of more cores and no new tech then I will wait till 20nm and get a 24" 4K.

Associate

I've been helping AMDs driver team with this one and it is definitely an issue with the timings. Least on the AOC. Need to speak with them again in the morning (I'm from UK)

It seems that the timing being used by this monitor violates the CVT spec from VESA. Both vertical and horizontal porches are out of spec.

We think that we can make an EDID patch (INF file) as a quick, short term solution.

Seems to be the same issue with the ASUS so it'll be a controller issue (I bet they share the same controller) rather than monitor itself. Interesting though I did guess this some time ago.

The other thing I noticed is when you first plug in it gradually degrades and gets worse over time - I figured that maybe that might be related to the link entrainment "feature" of DP as a separate issue. All these problems are fixable with drivers and firmware I'd think is the good news (they are soft/firmware problems).

However good it is supposed to be next to nobody uses those features and royalty free means nothing if your including all the other connectors on your monitor and if your doing that directly driving is impossible.
I will be avoiding DP like the plague in future even if the problems aren't caused by the standard itself whats the use if companies(AMD) don't implement it properly.

Missing the point slightly - DP *is* the future monitor connection format. HDMI is the TV format - this is true for a whole host of reasons. Because of one minor issue on a new generation of screens you're going to flip the bird to all of it? Seriously.

Also - those features are used, and HDMI is included because people rather than because it's technically better.

Caporegime
There are plenty of reports of popping and black screens on NVIDIA, now, too.

It seems to be both a panel and CVT timing problem (not necessarily signal loss).

Tbh, I won't be bothering with 4K until the next generation of graphics cards (even if a brilliant 120/144hz 4K panel comes out in the mean time). Panels will hopefully be more reliable by then, and video cards / drivers will be working properly.

It would appear that AOC (and possibly others) have released a product that does not meet basic compatibility requirements.

So its not an amd problem but more so a problem on the spec side of things,

/watches lampchop go scampering out of the thread.

Last edited:
Associate
Same problem here. Aoc monitor and 290x in CF. Screen flickers like crazy on 60hz. I sold my 27 1440p monitor so i am stuck whit this expensive junk. Hope to see a fix soooooooooooon

Back
Top Bottom