BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just been down to the local BMW dealer as its the launch weekend of the M3/4. They have an M4 on the road that i'll arrange to drive sometime in the next week or 2 in sakira orange. Its a nice looking car, but I still think that the M3 looks more purposeful with the more obvious flared arches and body kit. Interiors is nice, but then its not a lot different from an M Sport 3, but the seats are a big improvement over the standard 3 series ones. I'd quite happily have one in Yas Marina Blue with the black wheels and a decent spec. Maybe in a couple of years when I'm done with the M235i.

Soldato
I might go look at a '04 330 clubsport, but it has 130k on the clock. Whilst it looks well looked after (decent tyres, new exhaust, and I will ask about any other work carried out), I assume even the best looked after and maintained cars will lose their 'tightness' after a while and wonder if 130k is past this mark?

Nah, the fact its 10 years old has much more impact than the miles

Man of Honour
I shouldn't be put off by the miles then? Will it be any different than a 10 year old 90k 330clubsport?

Every car is different. It might be, might not. These are all old cars now so full of niggles and frankly the mileage is irrelevant.

There is no sensible reason to focus on a Clubsport, either. It offers nothing credible over a regular 330Ci Sport. If you find one great, but to seek one out is daft.

Man of Honour
Thought some of you might appreciate some 530d musings now I'm 6 weeks in.

IMAG1874_zps8605030c.jpg

I like this car. It's definitely not another 335i, that thing was a disaster. The interior for me is the best bit - I love absolutely everything about the way the interior looks. It's a wonderful place to be, all the controls are perfectly laid out, the 10.2" widescreen dominates the cabin and the materials you touch on a regular basis are all of high quality and feel great.

interior_zps2768e4ac.jpg

The other big surprise is the standard stereo system. It's absolutely excellent, a massive surprise given how dire every other BMW system I've experienced is. It's absolutely enough for me and doesn't sound that much worse than the Professional system in my Dads 520d. Lovely. The whole audio setup is excellent really, I love the way iDrive works with my music and scrolling through tracks in the instrument cluster using the steering wheel is great.

Infact the whole instrument cluster itself is wonderful to use. It feels modern and fresh and you always know exactly which speed cruise is set to, etc. Navigation instructions in the cluster are a great touch, too. I absolutely love the tech in this car, to be honest it's the most appealing thing about it for me. This is what made me finally change my car and I'm really pleased about this aspect.

I'm finding the BMW Connected Drive service a mixed blessing really. It's hugely functional with everything from news and weather to Google Streetview but really I never use any of that. What I do use constantly though is the BMW ConnectedDrive android app, it's great to send destinations to the navigation from my phone as I walk to the car.

Engine and gearbox - I'm finding the diesel engine must less intrusive and annoying than I thought it would be. From cold it's still diesely and intrusive but once it's warmed up it's pretty quiet and very refined. The 8 speed autobox is absolutely sublime, when you want to just waft about it does so effortlessly. However the Sports Auto Transmission function, probably one of the most under-rated options on the F10 (It was £105!!! and most people ignored it?!) completely changes the character of the box. In Sport mode the changes are lightening fast - off the line the acceleration is nothing like you'd expect from an automatic diesel barge. I had wondered quite how BMW managed to get the optimistic looking 6 second 0-60 time from a 1.7 tonne car with only 245bhp but it seems the reason is this transmission. I honestly doubt I'd have got my 335i to 60 any quicker and it's all down to the transmission. It's great.

Performance is generally very satisfying - I've yet to be left wanting and it's a very good overtaking companion. The box nicely irons out the otherwise lacking powerband and means that you've just got plenty of power whenever you need it.

The other thing that I've been pleasantly surprised about is fuel economy. I didn't buy it for this and had figured it'd be pretty crap but actually it's fairly good - it's settling on about 26mpg around town from cold (the cold starts really hammer it - it'll average over 30 if its warm) and on long motorway runs it sits between 45 and 50mpg. A nice bonus.

Nothings perfect however, this is what sucks about the F10:

Everything you touch routinely is well built and nicely finished. Nothing else is. Cheap plastics around the seat base, door sills with bits that fall off (Seriously, I've lost the B, M and W letters from the drivers sill and I opened the door on my parents F11 the other day and some trim fell of that, too). It's like they've ticked the box for the bear minimum required for it to still be classified as a quality product and nothing more. On the E39 even bits of plastic nobody but a service tech would ever find feel nicely made.

The tyres are totally crap. I've no idea why BMW continue this ridiculous obsession with RFT tyres but they continue to ruin cars. The noise in the cabin is unacceptable at cruising speed and the ride quality is, whilst not as bad as I thought, still short of what you'd expect of a car of this type. I cannot wait to replace all of them with 4 proper tyres.

Keyless start. Seriously, what IS the point in this? You still need the fob to open the car but not to start it. So you are left with a key and no slot to plug it in. So it goes in your pocket. Or in your coat. Then you get out of the car and can't find it. I actually walked off with the engine still running the other day (Plus: Guess the diesel is quiet. Con: WTF?!) but noticed just in time. There was nothing wrong with having to put the key in a slot.

Actually there was nothing wrong with turning a key in the ignition!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I agree with pretty much all of that - I've lost sill letters too, fortunately they don't light up either so I should be due a set of replacement sills under warranty I hope. Agree completely with the keyless start, always leaving the keys in the car. There's a little slot between the front cup holders to put the key in, but it rattles my house keys then.

Tyres are gash, can't wipe it to change them.

Your seats look much nicer than the standard ones I've got.

I've found the car is at times a little slower than I'd have expected, other times I've been really impressed, must just have caught the standard auto napping. Can't understand why the original owner specced DAB/HUD/Pro-nav but not sports auto.

HUD is excellent, one of those things that seems so small that you don't notice until you drive a car without and it's painful. Wish it had more info like radio stations.

Stock stereo is ok but just ok to be honest. I'd pay good money to upgrade it. The standard setup in my A3 sounded better, and this is a considerably more expensive car. The bass is a bit wallowy, no front A-pillar tweeters or centre fill which leaves it all a bit lacking up front.

DAB is good but doesn't sound as good as FM.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I agree with pretty much all of that I've lost sill letters too, fortunately they don't light up either so I should be due a set of replacement sills under warranty I hope.

They don't light up because only the 535d and 550i got lightup sills unfortunately. No warranty claim for you :p Or me, I never used to be fussed that the AUC warranty excluded trim because never once had I ever had a piece of trim break on any car I'd ever owned. That was before I bought a newer BMW. Now I wish it didn't exclude trim, I've got a rattle from my seat too :(
Your seats look much nicer than the standard ones I've got.

They are the Sport seats - mine has the Dynamic Pack which adds 19's, black headlining, sport seats and high gloss shadowline. Basically all the M Sport stuff bar the suspension and bodykit.

I've found the car is at times a little slower than I'd have expected, other times I've been really impressed, must just have caught the standard auto napping.

For it to be as responsive as you'd want if you want performance it's best in Sport mode, which I'm not sure whether you have or not?

HUD is excellent, one of those hints you don't notice until you drive a car without and it's painful.

You probabaly think I'm just saying this but I don't miss the HUD - my Dads 520d *does* have the HUD and it is cool and I thought I'd miss it but I don't really, I get the same navigational instructions just under the speedo instead.

Stock stereo is ok but just ok to be honest. I'd pay good money to upgrade it. The standard setup in my A3 sounded better, and this is a considerably more expensive car.

I must be either tone death or used to the dire, dire stereos in previous BMW's :D

Caporegime
Damn, I thought I was on to the winner with the sills :(

No sports mode either. It's strange, on a B road it's epic, hauling along at great speed. But A road overtakes have occasionally been a little hairy.

To be fair my A3 had a really very good stock setup. It didn't go loud but it had a really lively sound.

I've got one rattle, passenger side door lock post rattles when locked, just turned auto locking off and it's gone fortunately.

I will probably chop mine in at some point for a 535d touring, but best get a couple of years out of this one so the wife doesn't strangle me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to agree with pretty much all that too with my F11 530d.

Except I have the HK stereo upgrade, so I was obviously going to enjoy that aspect. And I have no issue with the tyres / suspension / ride on my Msport. But then I am thoroughly used to M-sport / S-Line suspension. I will change to non-RFT tyres when the current tyres are up (well, not quite as I got the wheel and tyre insurance, so when the replacement set are at 5mm), but that will be financial decision rather than comfort.

Man of Honour
The key less start it something i find a bit weird also, it really needs to come with key less entry for it to make sense.

It seems like the only value it has is to look cool in the showroom. Splitting it off from full keyless entry and then charging extra for full keyless entry is just annoying. I'd honestly rather NOT have it.

Associate
Has anybody had any experience with the z3m coupe, any potential issues that i need to look out for apart from wear and tear items?

Only be doing 3-4k per year in the car so not to fussed about mpg, probably get 25-28 on a longer run?

Alex

Soldato
I quite like it. Although I think the place holder for it in the ashtray should be bigger so it sits better in there. But I do like how I can open the car, put the key in my pocket / placeholder, and drive the car, without having to much about with putting the key in the ignition etc...

I do think it would be better with the comfort access mind you. But didn't want to pay for that when I bought mine. Knowing then what I know now, it would have been a ticked box though. But then so would the LED adaptive lights, surround view and electric memory seats (possibly the 35d engine too, although I am happy with the 30d).

Man of Honour
I do think it would be better with the comfort access mind you. But didn't want to pay for that when I bought mine. Knowing then what I know now, it would have been a ticked box though. But then so would the LED adaptive lights, surround view and electric memory seats (possibly the 35d engine too, although I am happy with the 30d).

The only essential there for me would be LED lights. Not for the LED main bit but because unless you get the 'upgraded' option you don't get the nicer looking front light cluster with LED indicators etc. I filtered out every car without a Visibility Pack for that reason :p

Back
Top Bottom