• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Caporegime
Installed new chip and no display at all. Q code led display shows 00, (not used). Used ez flash2 in bios to update to version 1504 beta with a usb flash drive. Went back into windows and checked with cpu's to confirm the new bios prior to removing the old cpu.

Caporegime
For any of the Asus z87 owners, did you have to run the windows based update utility before flashing the bios in Asus ezflash.

IM gonna reinstall the 4770k and see if it still works, hopefully not an issue with the boards socket pins.

Last edited:
Associate
Installed new chip and no display at all. Q code led display shows 00, (not used). Used ez flash2 in bios to update to version 1504 beta with a usb flash drive. Went back into windows and checked with cpu's to confirm the new bios prior to removing the old cpu.
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA BIOS 1504
Enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.
Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors.

Caporegime
Ok, ran the installer in windows, selected bios 1504 and let it do its thing. Restarted into windows and cpu's shows bios 1504. Di i now have to reflash in ezflash. Sorry for the questions but ive never seen or done this process before and ive owned quite a few Asus boards.

Soldato
For any of the Asus z87 owners, did you have to run the windows based update utility before flashing the bios in Asus ezflash.

IM gonna reinstall the 4770k and see if it still works, hopefully not an issue with the boards socket pins.

I used the Windows BIOS update utility as recommended mate. Working here on a HeroVI without a hitch.

Caporegime
Bios flashed successfully but currently using the stock cooler which isn't spinning. Connected to cpu fan header, 83c reported in bios. Did get into windows but had to restart to install an update.

Soldato
When you installed new cpu did it detect it was a new cpu and ask u to press f1 to enter setup? Assuming so, did you reload optimised defaults?

Obviously you will be able to check im BIOS to see whether your monitor is detecting a rpm signal on cpu header.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate

You need to use the BIOS updater.
Using ezflash in the BIOS wont flash the new firmware.

Instructions on ASUS site say to use the bios updater or USB flash back.

Soldato
Also, I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but you haven't by any chance plugged the cooler in to CPU_OPT header? Would be a very easy mistake to make and almost done same thing myself on a couple of occasions.

Caporegime
All sorted guys, bit of glue from packaging stuck in the cpu fan. Idle temps of 51-53-52-53 at stock. 1.216v in cpu's, 1.2202 vid in coretemp. Though i believe we'll need updated versions to get more accurate readings. Once i get my k2 cooler installed and decent paste ill be looking at temps of 30c Ono at idle.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Bet you were worried there.

My chip needs a large voltage bump to run stable at 4.7 and appears quite poor in comparison to the others reported so far.

Back
Top Bottom