Trouble with online retailer

box

box

Associate
I ordered some new road bike wheels from an online sports retailer last week, for a couple of rides I have coming up at the end of the month. Long story short, the box that was delivered contained a bike display stand!

Obviously a little unimpressed, I emailed and explained the issue. I requested that the courier be sent back round one day after work or at the weekend, and asked that a repeat order be opened for the wheels such that I could receive them without any further delay. The retailer wanted pictures of the item that I'd received before they would consider any action.

Thought it was a fair request, if a little tedious, but sent the pictures over. The retailer confirmed the error and apologised, but stated that they would not dispatch the new wheels until the courier had confirmed they had picked up the original package from my house.

The process now seems as though it will drag out, as they've also stated that their courier can only collect between 9am and 5pm Mon-Fri. I'm not willing to take a day off work, and so this isn't going to happen!

So, I now have an unwanted item of this retailer's stock taking up a good corner of my living room, and am being refused delivery of an item I have paid for unless I inconvenience myself to return it. At this point I'm a little fed up as I feel like I'm now being held to ransom a bit, and at no fault of my own.

If it weren't for the fact I'd rather not ruin my standing with this retailer, I'd just reorder the wheels myself and claim back on the credit card for the wrong delivery. As it stands though, this isn't idea, and I'm a bit stuck! Thoughts? :rolleyes:

beh

beh

Associate
If it weren't for the fact I'd rather not ruin my standing with this retailer...
Eh? Given that the service sounds poor why would you be worried about that? Plenty of decent online bike shops.

Anyway, can you not post the item back at your own convenience and ask to be reimbursed for this?

box

box

Associate
OP
Eh? Given that the service sounds poor why would you be worried about that? Plenty of decent online bike shops.

Anyway, can you not post the item back at your own convenience and ask to be reimbursed for this?

This one is generally the best priced for what I need, and I've never really had a bad experienced before. Just seems like I've got stuck with someone who doesn't really understand customer service. I don't like unnecessarily burning bridges though.

Unfortunately, lumbering a large box to the post office when I don't own a car is not very convenient! :p

Permabanned
If they are going to get like that i would pick up the phone and tell them you formed a contract in sale for wheels and they took the cash and gave you a stand therefor the contract is still not fufilled. Any CC company would charge them back and refund you if you called them. And then they would have to come get the stand themselves on a weekend because you work.

Ask them how they like them apples or if they want to send out the wheels and keep a customer.

beh

beh

Associate
If somewhere sent me the wrong item and was then awkward in resolving this I doubt I'd order from them again. Used to to quite like CRC for bike stuff, ditto "often generally the best priced" and "never really had a bad experience", until they sent me the wrong item and found their actual customer service to be a bit underwhelming. Competition is fierce, as said, plenty of other places.

Anyway, is it a big company? Can you email someone higher up and make them understand that the solution they've offered isn't convenient?

Associate
With the number of people who work at this company, they aren't going to remember your name just because you caused them a headache, I doubt they're going to put a mark against your name on their computer to refuse to sell to you.

I wouldn't be bothered about burning bridges, they're still going to sell to you in the future, and you can usually get their competition to price match anyway.

Caporegime
can you still charge storage fees in situations like this?

Technically it's unsolicited goods right?
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...eived_goods_or_services_you_didnt_ask_for.htm
A distance sale is when you buy something without face-to-face contact. For example shopping by internet, television, mail order, phone and fax. When you shop by distance sale you have certain legal rights covering what you can do if you receive goods or services that you have not ordered or requested. These are known as unsolicited goods and services..
Is it legal for them to send you unsolicited goods and then hold your wheels for ransom?

Here's a template letter that tells them you're keeping he goods if they don't collect in 14 days
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales...s_e/received_unsolicited_goods_or_service.htm

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would politely explain that you need the wheels before a certain date and due to their mistake there isn't time for them to receive their incorrect item back. If they cannot resolve this before the date then you will have no option but to cancel the order completely and use one of their competitors. Try to speak with someone more senior.

Ultimately you need to decide whether the price or the date are more important with this order.

Associate
Point out to them that the contract they formed for the supply of wheels when they took your money remains unfulfilled and that if they do not fulfil the contract, you will take it up with your card company.

If they mention the stand again, say it was very kind of them to send that gift, but you have no need for it and if would like it back, they can feel free to collect it when it is convenient to you.

Soldato
Who is this, Ribble, merlin, on-one/planet x?

The fact they sent you a stand has no bearing on you not receiving the wheels and they are obliged to send you these irrespective of whether stand is returned. Phone them or email them and tell them you have spoken to the cab and they need to send you the wheels to fulfill their contract with you as they have taken your money and collect the stand separately or pay you to send back via parcel force.

If you wait for the stand to be returned and for example the courier fails to collect or deliver it back it will end up a prolonged process for you.

Simple really.

Associate
Can they send you a pre-paid return label to stick on the box for someone like Collect+ ? I find this an easier way to return items instead of waiting in for a courier to collect it.

I've always used chainreactioncycles for all my bike stuff in the past. They use the Collect+ return system so you don't have to pay to return items which are wrong, faulty or you just don't like - for example a bike saddle.

Soldato
If it weren't for the fact I'd rather not ruin my standing with this retailer, I'd just reorder the wheels myself and claim back on the credit card for the wrong delivery.

What standing is that?

You clearly don't have any if they are not willing to send you your correct order immediately. You don't have standing with them, you are a customer of a retail shop - They have standing with you, which at the moment is rock bottom.

Soldato
how come the op will be available to collect the wheels but can't be available to hand the stand to a courier anyway?

Have a feeling somone else signed for it or it was left in a safe place?

Depends if the box looked different/had different markings on it as at the time of delivery normally you can go "Hey wait a minute this doesnt look right!"

Associate
how come the op will be available to collect the wheels but can't be available to hand the stand to a courier anyway?

It's the principle of the matter. And it's not easy for everyone to take a day off work for a package. They messed up so they should go out their way to pickup the item. It shouldn't be down to the OP to tidy up the retailers mess.
Not to mention OP will probably have to take ANTOHER day off work for when/if the wheels arrive.

Permabanned
It's the principle of the matter. And it's not easy for everyone to take a day off work for a package. They messed up so they should go out their way to pickup the item. It shouldn't be down to the OP to tidy up the retailers mess.
Not to mention OP will probably have to take ANTOHER day off work for when/if the wheels arrive.

I ordered a monitor which was clearly used so i demanded they pick it up before i charged them back through credit card. First appointment missed due to DPD not knocking or waiting. Second confirmed and skipped by DPD and on the third day they took collection.

Potentially 3 days of waiting for the slightest door knock to return something. This happens all over the country take no days off and send them one email. After that just keep the items because they had a chance to fufill it. People need to grow some cojones...

Caporegime

ask for a courier hot swap.
he gives you the wheels , you give him the stand

Back
Top Bottom