• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
i have disabled turbo for the time being but temps still reach 85c hrm...

Full spec is
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Corsair H60
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
8GB of your standard gaming ram
750w PSU

Voltage is set to Auto in EFI however so perhaps setting this to a fixed voltage should help?
Latest BIOS should address stock voltage.

Associate
Be interested in your results. From searcging around it seems the L4 chips are consistently clocking higher and running cooler.

I'll post up tonight once installed, seems to be a good batch from looking around the net. I had plenty of headaches with my 4770k being toasty, it will be a nice change if this runs cool.

Caporegime
Another quick run on real bench, had to up voltage to 1.2593 at 47x due to blue screening on the encoding part.

puBr2ir.png

If i can get this fully stable ill keep this as my daily oc. Ill be playing some bf4 tonight so will be a good test as it hits the cpu pretty hard.

Caporegime
Gaming on mine just now, temps are so much lower at 4.7ghz than my old 4.5ghz 4770k. Auto fan results in a highest core temp of 61c. Same cooler, fans and settings on the old chip would get into the high 70's. Had to set fans manually to full speed, (which was incredibly loud) to keep it in the mid 60's. Extremely pleased with this.:D

Associate
Setter, did you have any issues getting the 4790k working on your Maximus Formula VI? I'm desperately trying to wait for the Z97 version but with no news coming out of Asus and with OcUK not having any ideas either I'm really tempted to just buy it already...

Caporegime
I did at the start but that was more user error than the board tbh. Usually when flashing the bios i do so under ezflash within bios from a usb drive. But for the Devils canyon bios, you have to use the asus update tool in windows. This can be downloaded along with the most current 1505 bios, (released yesterday) 1504 beta came out several weks ago.

No idea either on the release of the Z97 formula, but if you later intend to move to a broadwell cpu, you will need the Z97 board, as its rumoured that the DC chips will be the last on 1150 to be compatible with Z87.

Soldato
Is there an accurate way of reading core voltage ?

CPU-Z 1.69.2 x64 reads 1.76v idle and 1.776 on Prime 95.
The ROG version of CPU-Z reads 1.25 V and doesn't change even when I stress test.

edit: Using a Maximus VII gene.

Associate
I did at the start but that was more user error than the board tbh. Usually when flashing the bios i do so under ezflash within bios from a usb drive. But for the Devils canyon bios, you have to use the asus update tool in windows. This can be downloaded along with the most current 1505 bios, (released yesterday) 1504 beta came out several weks ago.

No idea either on the release of the Z97 formula, but if you later intend to move to a broadwell cpu, you will need the Z97 board, as its rumoured that the DC chips will be the last on 1150 to be compatible with Z87.

So if I don't already have a 1150 CPU, I'd need one prior to using the 4790k so I can do the Asus update? Well that sucks. :(

Back
Top Bottom