DualShock 4 rubber peeling

Caporegime
i got some of them orb covers , not to bad.

i bought them in the past for my PS3 controllers and they were crap they just fell off with use.

are the PS4 one's a much tighter fit?

i had rubber peeling issue on ps3 as well but it took several years to get into the state my DS4 was in within 2 months.

that's why I tried them on PS3 but in the end I just opened the controller up and replaced the sticks for a couple of quid from ebay.

rather replace the sticks than use a cover tbh so long as I don't kill the controller in the process, which is easy to do since some parts inside are crappy thin plastic.

so it's a difficult situation to be in, i'll need to see some DS4 videos on youtube and see if it's easier to replace than DS3 sticks.

DS3 internals were crap the original Six-Axis controllers were far better built.

Associate
So I got the orb covers and I have to say I'm disappointed :( the concave ones sit really high and are so oversized they feel so uncomfortable, swapped for the convex ones and although they are lower profile and easier to use they offer no grip whatsoever, my thumb kept on slipping off even though they had grips on them (this never happened with the normal stick) so I ripped them off and went bareback again lol felt so good only then did I realise what a good job sony did on the design, the only problem is the slight wear of the rubber so if it gets any worse I'll just replace the sticks.
On the plus side I got the ps4 light bar decal and it looks amazing, even my girlfriend commented how good it looks, sony missed a trick not implementing this sort of stand out feature

Caporegime
well after 11-12 days i phone sony and they have lost the controller i sent into them to be fixed/replaced.

luckily i sent recorded delivery otherwise i would be £50 down right now.

they sent me a new one but after having to pay £4 to send it back and be without a controller for 2 weeks i would rather pay pennies to get thumbsticks off ebay and replace them myself like i did with PS3 controllers.

one thing I have noticed though is that the screws on the back of the DS4 are tiny, i just hope they don't wear away with constant screwing.

Soldato
i bought them in the past for my PS3 controllers and they were crap they just fell off with use.

are the PS4 one's a much tighter fit?

i had rubber peeling issue on ps3 as well but it took several years to get into the state my DS4 was in within 2 months.

that's why I tried them on PS3 but in the end I just opened the controller up and replaced the sticks for a couple of quid from ebay.

rather replace the sticks than use a cover tbh so long as I don't kill the controller in the process, which is easy to do since some parts inside are crappy thin plastic.

so it's a difficult situation to be in, i'll need to see some DS4 videos on youtube and see if it's easier to replace than DS3 sticks.

DS3 internals were crap the original Six-Axis controllers were far better built.

not had any problems with them so far, there not worth a £1 so if anyone gets them make sure you find the cheapest place, Amazon had them for £2.99 which isn't to bad.

I am using the gripped type covers as the others in the pack look a bit bigger and don't have the grip.

Not had any problems of slipping fingers or the covers coming off playing bf4.

Associate
Just a quick update on this.

I have the same problem albeit 7 months later i phoned up grainger games explained the problem they just said bring it in and we will replace it.

I was expecting an argument of some kind.

the motto is keep your receipt :)

Soldato
Mine are starting to wear a way a bit now as well. It was fine before but having been playing UFC which requires you to spin the sticks a lot and it's wearing away quite quickly.

It's pretty bad, had my ps3 from release till a month before PS4 release and controllers were still in tip top condition.

Associate
Actually Grainger after saying bring it in for a replacement, took one look at my receipt for 1 x ps4 pad and told me that they only offer warranty of 6 months on accesories.

if i had taken in my reciept for a console they would have swapped it as that has a 12 month warranty!!

WTF.

I have no idea where is says 6 month warranty and will take it up with them meanwhile i have a receipt for a 2nd ps4 so will use that receipt and dodgy pad at another grainger store.

Lesson Learnt = Never shop at grainger and use other companies instead.

Just a quick update on this.

I have the same problem albeit 7 months later i phoned up grainger games explained the problem they just said bring it in and we will replace it.

I was expecting an argument of some kind.

the motto is keep your receipt :)

Associate
2nd pads left analogue started peeling so I've decided to do a bit of modding, ordered Xbox one analogue thumbsticks and gonna try them out on the ds4

Soldato
It's pretty easy to do, take your time and be careful taking the controller apart. If you can lift the front part of the shell around the L2 and R2 triggers that will help, they can be a pain to get back on. Be careful with both of the ribbon cables.

I'll post the video I followed whilst taking mine apart.

The sticks them self do feel a bit lose, for example shake the controller they rattle a bit or if you turn the controller upside down they move out. The seller I brought these off of eBay said about putting some blue tack in the hole where the analog stick fits on to the controller. Also if you pull the stick all the way up or down there is a small gap, so they're not the perfect fit.

They're slightly longer not entirely sure if they'll up your game but you certainly won't be worrying about ripping the rubber (That sounds dirty lol).

Oh also, make sure you've got the right screwdriver I almost threaded the screws on my controller. They're 2/3mm.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I put the xbone thumbsticks in my ds4 and Iam really impressed I can't recommend it enough, anyone thinking of doing it go ahead you won't be disappointed, this is the one thing the xb1 has that is better than ps4. I was worried that they would be loose or wobble like someone else said but I made sure they where firmly pushed in and there is no loose movement whatsoever they feel perfect i, I love the texture around the edges of the thumbsticks as this is where my thumbs sit most of the time as opposed to flat in top (probably why the outer edges started peeling first) can't wait to give them a proper test run tonight

Back
Top Bottom