[PIC_THREAD] Landscapes, Architecture, Seascapes

Soldato
Took the missus to Edinburgh under the cover of a romantic weekend, actually went to test out my new 50mm f1.8 prime lens.
View from the window.
through the window by dale.jrose, on Flickr
reflections on walls by dale.jrose, on Flickr
statue in shadow by dale.jrose, on Flickr
tram lines and shadows by dale.jrose, on Flickr
Sunset bridge into old town by dale.jrose, on Flickr
sunset college 2 by dale.jrose, on Flickr
sunset college 1 by dale.jrose, on Flickr
sunset cathedral by dale.jrose, on Flickr
nighttime by dale.jrose, on Flickr
b&w alleyway by dale.jrose, on Flickr
goodluck toe by dale.jrose, on Flickr
Governors house by dale.jrose, on Flickr

Soldato
One from last night, re-learning how to exposure blend, not sure whether I prefer grads or blends for digital, agnostic on either method - but not sure either way...

0jhuZyb.jpg

Soldato
Can I ask how you achieved that shot?

I have a d5100 and I'm using the same lens but I just get a lightbulb in the sky. :p The clouds look beautiful but I get no detail on the moon

Also, I see you've used a shutter speed of 1/320. I had to use a 15 second shutter speed to achieve the correct exposure? How did you get such a bright exposure with such a quick shutter speed?

Lovely shot by the way!

Soldato
OP
The clue is in what you wrote above, is a 15 second exposure really the correct exposure? ;) :)

Here's one I did a while back, 1/40 but I was at ISO 200 f9 rather than the 1/320, ISO 800, f13 shot above. Basically you need to expose for the moon as it is as you said, a big light in the sky :)

Moon by jj_glos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi - Thank you :)

I had tried earlier with the clouds when it was lighter but couldn't get both in sufficient focus

Its on Manual mode to get the focus as sharp as I could on the face of the moon then tried going up / down with the shutter speed and ISO then worked on the best few in LR

It still needed a fair bit of work (cropping to enlarge the moon) with contrast, sharpness etc

Hope this helps but (as im finding with this hobby) there is a lot of trial and error :)

Soldato
The clue is in what you wrote above, is a 15 second exposure really the correct exposure? ;) :)

Here's one I did a while back, 1/40 but I was at ISO 200 f9 rather than the 1/320, ISO 800, f13 shot above. Basically you need to expose for the moon as it is as you said, a big light in the sky :)

I was exposing for the sky in general which is obviously where I was going wrong. Silly mistake really. :)

Thanks.

Associate
Nikon D5200 / 35mm f1.8 lens.

14403801589_79499d7bef_b.jpg

14589453372_cd322ec8db_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom