Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
I just wouldn't. I mean, I'm not exactly a Merc fan anyway, whenever I drove my mates C class it was just soul destroying (I'd much preferred to drive my 11 year old Passat than his 3 year old Merc. Hopefully his new C250 is a vast improvement). But I did ALMOST buy an E-Class before plumping for the 5 series.

But now, with the closest non-AC dealer being a 200+ mile round trip, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't want AC servicing my cars, so hooped driving all that way for a service. Not when John Clark are actually pretty decent, and I can get BMW's or Audi's serviced only 20 miles away. And I prefer them two marques anyway.

alx

alx

Soldato
I just wouldn't. I mean, I'm not exactly a Merc fan anyway, whenever I drove my mates C class it was just soul destroying (I'd much preferred to drive my 11 year old Passat than his 3 year old Merc. Hopefully his new C250 is a vast improvement). But I did ALMOST buy an E-Class before plumping for the 5 series.

But now, with the closest non-AC dealer being a 200+ mile round trip, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't want AC servicing my cars, so hooped driving all that way for a service. Not when John Clark are actually pretty decent, and I can get BMW's or Audi's serviced only 20 miles away. And I prefer them two marques anyway.

Probably the only reason I'd chose a Merc would be if it was an AMG one (eg C63, SL55 etc) - even then I'd be hesitant to trust AC with one :(. Otherwise it would be BMW for me.

Associate
Just collected my E350.. very good handover job by the dealer, they missed nothing.. :)

2013, only 2k miles, White with Pano roof, in Avantgarde trim with AMG styling packs, Night Vision, Comfort Seats, all the assist options etc. 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing.. So its virtually a new car package.

I could have gone for a low mileage facelift, but they only had E300s, and I really felt them to be a bit sluggish compared with the 350.. and while I like the looks of the 2014, the 2013 still ticks the looks box for me, and it saves me 5k. Plus the one I chose had more options.

Anyway, its getting dark out now, so pics tomorrow :)

Soldato
What are the conditions of the 5 year warranty? Sounds like you shouldn't have to pay out a penny on the car apart from petrol, tax and tyres for at least 3 years?

Associate
^ That's partly why I went for this and not something else.. I prefer only planned costs during my ownership, which I expect will be 3 years.

Its got the factory 3 year + 2 year extended, which takes it to 2019.. and my understanding is the coverage is the same. I will check the warranty doc and report back though as I don't have it on me right now.

Associate
It's rather too humid to be messing around with a camera today, but here are a few quickies...

btw, anyone using COMAND online? MB indicated it should work with a Blackberry 9900 but mine isn't connecting.. I am thinking its the Enterprise IT policy.. any ideas on phone settings to try, as there do not seem to be many car settings for it.

Associate
yeah, they do seem small for the size of the car, especially as everyone is going big displays these days. But its not smaller than my GTI's was (I guess), so it will do the job. The Multifunction display between the dials covers quite a lot of info as well.

I looked at the Infinity Q50 and Jag XJ, both of which have larger dual displays.. but the quality/resolution of them wasn't that great.. so size certainly isn't everything. Although I do think that VAG makes the clearest and easiest to use displays I have seen.

Associate
What are the conditions of the 5 year warranty? Sounds like you shouldn't have to pay out a penny on the car apart from petrol, tax and tyres for at least 3 years?

I checked this today, Its actually a 2 year manufacturer warranty + 3 year extended.. The extended doesn't cover "wear and tear" on interior plastic trim bits, like sun blinds and cup holder cover.. but everything else is covered.

Soldato
Although I do think that VAG makes the clearest and easiest to use displays I have seen.

Not been in a BMW then. Both my E91 and F11 screens blow the A4 / A6 screens out the water (I had two A4 B8 + B8.5, and had a close look at the A6 before going for the F11). The BMW screens are the best on the market. Certainly for these types of car at least. I did also look closely at the E-class, and the screen and cheap feeling plastics on the interior put me right off.

Didn't put my mate off putting his order in mind. They do look half decent from the outside...

Associate
Not been in a BMW then. Both my E91 and F11 screens blow the A4 / A6 screens out the water (I had two A4 B8 + B8.5, and had a close look at the A6 before going for the F11). The BMW screens are the best on the market. Certainly for these types of car at least. I did also look closely at the E-class, and the screen and cheap feeling plastics on the interior put me right off.

Didn't put my mate off putting his order in mind. They do look half decent from the outside...

Indeed I have not sat in a BMW for some years now, not been on my wish list really, but i was impressed the 7 series vids i watched. The screen in the A7 was very good, but otherwise I personally found the E class interior to better it, and be more practical at the same time (rear passenger's space mainly). I preferred the drive of the A7 though.

Man of Honour
Gotta hand back my SLK 200 AMG in a few weeks, gonna miss it, especially in weather like we are having just now.

JYL1u96.jpg

Seriously can't decide between one of these or an R171 55 version. The AMG 55 version of the 171 looks much more aggressive. Decisions decisions...I still can't part with my R170 - never had a single thing go wrong with it! *touches wood* :eek::p

Soldato
Hello this seems a good a place as any to ask this.

I have a 230 slk R170, the reverse light are not working and I've been told the reverse light switch in the gearbox more than likely needs replacing.

Anyone know a rough idea of the cost?

Soldato
Anyone got/had a CLS 320CDI or 350? Would be interested in hearing about them, running costs/reliability mainly. Also, what's the build quality like in general?

Man of Honour
Hello this seems a good a place as any to ask this.

I have a 230 slk R170, the reverse light are not working and I've been told the reverse light switch in the gearbox more than likely needs replacing.

Anyone know a rough idea of the cost?

The slkworld or benzworld forums would be good places to ask :)

Associate
Seriously can't decide between one of these or an R171 55 version. The AMG 55 version of the 171 looks much more aggressive. Decisions decisions...I still can't part with my R170 - never had a single thing go wrong with it! *touches wood* :eek::p

Be prepared for big bills, for brakes etc, if you go with the 55 !

Back
Top Bottom