If I went?

Soldato
they might accelerate at the same speed but the terminal velocity for them will be different?

Again, it depends on air resistance, the terminal velocity for the fat person would likely be lower, since the air resistance would be higher due to the increased surface area.

Ignoring air resistance, then both their terminal velocities would be the same; infinity (until you start approaching the speed of light, when things start getting a bit weird...:p)

Soldato
They would have different terminal velocity's due to the mass of the second object but terminal velocity is also determined by how streamlined/The Size an object is, For instance a free falling human has a terminal velocity of approximately 120mph (Wiki to the rescue) but competition divers have reached much much higher than this.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I was reading about the Earth crust... now have we ever drilled past that crust as it seems its not that deep in some parts?

If so, once we get past it, are we hitting the red stuff? And if we piddle about with that, could we destroy the Earth?

Smoeone mentioned Mars middle was dead... im assuming that was over-mined when it was habitable, so could we do the same on Earth?

Scary thought really, I bet BP and Shell dont care though.

Soldato
I was reading about the Earth crust... now have we ever drilled past that crust as it seems its not that deep in some parts?

If so, once we get past it, are we hitting the red stuff? And if we piddle about with that, could we destroy the Earth?

Smoeone mentioned Mars middle was dead... im assuming that was over-mined when it was habitable, so could we do the same on Earth?

I guess you'd basically create a volcano if you did that, Shameless copy/paste:

The deepest hole drilled by man was the Kola Hole, going 12,3 km down. The Earth's continental crust is about 30-50 km thick , so I guess we're out of luck.

"Ambitious projects to drill deeper than 10 kilometers or so always hit the same basic limits: heat, pressure, and money. At 9 kilometers down, temperature reaches 260°C or more, and the pressure can crush the metal casings that line drill holes."

Last edited:
Man of Honour

No one knows (AFAIK) why Mars core stopped producing an electromagnetic field, current theories though are that it is re-solidifying and might return to operation in the long run.

Associate
As far as I am aware Mars does not have a solid iron and nickel spinning core (or it has a very small one as opposed to Earth's large inner core) which means that the EM field produced is orders of magnitude smaller than Earth's, which is incidentally one of the main reasons why the atmosphere of Mars is so thin. One of the reasons we are here today is due to the large iron/nickel core at the centre of Earth, were it not for that then our atmosphere would likely be even more depleted than Mars' today (far too thin to support large mammals).

Caporegime
mars core cooled down, you could heat it back up again by flooding the planet with green house gases but no one knows if the em field would come back or not

Soldato
You wouldn't survive that kind of pressure. I don't think thee is a sub that could go that deep yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Earth

If your talking about the bottom of the trench, it's possible, but only done a few times, once I think back in the 70s and recently with none other than the director of Titanic, James Cameron.

On March 26, 2012, Cameron reached the bottom of the Challenger Deep, the deepest part of the Mariana Trench. The maximum depth recorded during this record-setting dive was 10,908 metres (35,787 ft).[41] It was the fourth ever dive to the Challenger Deep and the second manned dive (with a maximum recorded depth slightly less than that of Trieste's 1960 dive). It was the first solo dive and the first to spend a significant amount of time (three hours) exploring the bottom.[1]

As far as I know, the deepest we have ever gone in the crust is 7.5miles and I believe it becomes insanely hot at even that level.

Last edited:
Associate
If a skydiver jumped from a plane 10,000 feet up it would take 1 minute to reach the ground. If there was a theoretical tunnel in the Earth and the skydiver continued to fall, it would take him 32 hours to get to the Earth's core.
When you say 32 hours, you of course mean about 20 minutes...

Have a read about "gravity trains", very cool idea.

Caporegime
When you say 32 hours, you of course mean about 20 minutes...

Have a read about "gravity trains", very cool idea.
At 120mph

12mins 30 to get through the crust
15 hours through the mantle
11:40:00 to get through the outer core
6:40:00 to get through the inner core
11:40:00 to get back through the outer core
15 hours to get back through the mantle
12mins 30 to get back through the crust and come out on the other side

I can't be arsed to add it up
IlWkJJw.jpg

7.5 miles is the deepest hole ever drilled according to google and it took 4 years, the temperature at that depth is 180c and if they had gone another 1.7 miles deeper to meet their 15,000 metre goal they predict it would have been 300c

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Makes no sense really does it.

We are on some land, but underneath us is a big ball of fire in reality.

I dont get it at all.

God must have been nuts when he made Earth, because why put us on a fireball, spinning around another big fireball ffs

Permabanned
The rifts run down the middle of the oceans and at the rifts is the newest crust. As the earth expands at the rifts new mantle appears and it is super hot but it cools due to the oceans and hardens in to new crust. If you went to the rift and started digging you would eventually hit mantle after many kms.

Permabanned
If your talking about the bottom of the trench, it's possible, but only done a few times, once I think back in the 70s and recently with none other than the director of Titanic, James Cameron.

As far as I know, the deepest we have ever gone in the crust is 7.5miles and I believe it becomes insanely hot at even that level.

Cheers :)

I heard about Cameron's dive, but never realized he went that far down.

Associate
Makes no sense really does it.

We are on some land, but underneath us is a big ball of fire in reality.

I dont get it at all.

God must have been nuts when he made Earth, because why put us on a fireball, spinning around another big fireball ffs

Nope, not a ball of fire, but high temperatures due to the immensely high pressures. Can I recommend that you find a basic science book and read about it for these simple things? We teach it in year 7 at school.

Soldato
A ball of fire would be relatively cold compared to the temperatures toward the core...

People who want to drill into this be trippin, yo.

Back
Top Bottom