• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Intel i7 4790K 5GHz Club ***

Associate
nniitt looking at 3 forums i would say 5ghz+ stable on water chips would sell at 200% price. As most cant even boot to windows no matter what volts you pump.

Could you share some links for the gem chip you have seen on those 3 forums? How much voltage does the best chip need to be bench stable @ 5G?

Last edited:
Soldato
You'd really pay that much of a premium for a chip that does 5ghz?

Unless I got a dud that wouldn't go over 4.5, I'd probably just live with the chip.

Of course, having said that, I will do my absolute best to hit 5GHz! :D

Hopefully won't have to settle for less than 4.8 though!

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
My 4770K was running with AIR cooling.
5.3 on one core running superpi 32M is not a large thermal load.

Permabanned
nniitt dont think so. If you had one of those 5ghz stable you are sorted for next 3 generations of intels gpus by looks of it. Would be crazy to sell one cause What would one get instead thats faster ???

anyhow ask around here http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club

I assume you would pay for a chip from USA and stuff if ur after golden one :p

Last edited:
Associate
Lord_ZED, I monitor all pictures posted in that thread on OCN everyday, so far none of the chips shown in that thread could be considered as golden. :)

Associate
Those who have managed to reach the elusive 5 GHz may wish to post in here.

Post screenshots with CPU-Z and at least a 1M SuperPi run.

You must also provide a CPU-Z validation link with your OCUK username included.

You may also include other benchmarks and tests if you wish but the above is the minimum requirement.

All the best!

I cannot be held responsible for any and all damage related to hardware loss or data or software, which the user might cause while overclocking their hardware or computer.
Additionally, I am taking the liberty to assume that anyone who attempts to overclock their computer hardware understands the risks involved.
Such risks include, but aren’t limited to, failure of hardware, voiding warranties, and data corruption.

Your letting a 1m super PI Into a 5ghz club? Really?! Lol. I can manage that on my haswell. That's as good as a validation (unless that's the idea) but I would like to think atleast a 32m hyper PI run. Doesn't take much and Atleast indicates a good chip and a good understanding of what your doing.

Otherwise the 5ghz landmark is essentially meaningless.

Just my 2c. I'll be posting here with mine one way or another when it arrives next week rofl.

Associate
I am running a Noctua D14 on my 4690k @ 5ghz and the temps are nice and low :D Intel must have change the TIM.

LOL one more time. ITS NOT THE TIM!!!!!!!

Haswell temps were bad because of the adhesive. They used too much which left a gap between the IHS and die. You seriously believe some TIM afforded people a 10-20c temp difference from a delid?

With that said, your noctua is a good air cooler but if your hitting "nice and low" temps your certainly not stressing the chip. Run IBT on high+ and come back.

Soldato
5ghz seemed attainable initially, but I think I have hit my stable limit at 4.75. That takes 1.35 and not sure I want to go over that.

It's as if chip or something on board degraded fairly quickly, as I did have it stable at 4.75 at 1.27 for a bit.

Thought would have some wiggle room to maybe get up to 4.9. Oh well.

Caporegime

Haswell temps were bad because of the adhesive. They used too much which left a gap between the IHS and die. You seriously believe some TIM afforded people a 10-20c temp difference from a delid?

With that said, your noctua is a good air cooler but if your hitting "nice and low" temps your certainly not stressing the chip. Run IBT on high+ and come back.
well the TIM still cant be that great. Last year ocuk sold clocked bundles with delidded 4770k's were the paste was replaced with coollabs lp. Which will be a thinner layer than stock. Theese chips had the ihs stuck back on with the factory sealant/adhesive so the gap was still there, (and probably bigger due to a thinner layer of TIM). Yet these chips still ran 15-20c lower than stock ihs versions.

Caporegime

it is the tim used,for best results intel should have soldered the die directly to the ihs (like they have always been doing)

its the tim that cant dissipate the heat transfer fast enough like solder can,on the newer devils canyon they have also added extra transistors and refined the power delivery,that also helps with temps and raises the default cpu clock

@smsmasters you didn't manually set cpu/pci clock to 100?:p

Back
Top Bottom