Project: Pheonix Prime

Associate
OP
Looks great, how's the H105? Considering one of those, and are you keeping the blue of the graphics cards or going to change the coolers or modify the colour?

Thinking about modding the colour to be honest. I'm looking into if it's a viable option and how hard it'd be to get them off to spray. But I sure plan to try. Would help keep things flowing nicely in terms of my theme! The 105 seems good thus far!

Associate
OP
Problems

Update

I had begun getting afterburner setup along with testing some fps - everything was working a treat.

This morning i added another molex power cable to get my LEDs hooked up to some juice. When i went to boot after it says my drive is not accessible? Ive seen this a few times but after bios update i thought it had gone. Ive checked the cables and they are all connected so im at a loss.

And still the fan plugged into sys fan 4 on the mobo is not spinning. Does anyone know if this hints at mobo issues or ive just not set things up right?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, it will take shape soon enough. I need to do some spraying and im look at other things to customise... Addictive stuff.

Yeah it's never ending modding!

I've recently sold the PC in my sig to pay for a holiday but am looking forward to the winter when I will be doing a new build :D

I'm hoping Parvum's full ATX case might be on the shelves by then!

Associate
Do you think I should change the rad fans so that they're pulling air into the case?

Nah keep em pushing air through the rad and out the top - better performance and then you are not pulling all that hot air in to the case which will heat up the CPU and GPU quite a bit.

Just add dust filters to the intake fans if you have not already done so.

Associate
Just wondering if you meant to put the psu in that way? On the 750D the fan should be facing towards the ground and has it's own filter for it.

But awesome build the colour scheme is going to be interesting :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just wondering if you meant to put the psu in that way? On the 750D the fan should be facing towards the ground and has it's own filter for it.

But awesome build the colour scheme is going to be interesting :)

You know.. I did think to myself balls when I was looking at my photographs today. I need to adjust that, however I'll wait until the fan controller arrives and do it all in one go as I need to rejig the cabling anywany, but thanks for pointing it out!

Associate
OP
UPDATE

Ok so after days of stressing out due to boot issues I *hope* I've sorted the issue. Turns out some of the slave drives had a primary 'active' flag on them which could have been causing conflict.. so far it seems since removing those flags that I am able to boot ok.

Back to the build. I'm going to spray some of the fan rings and look at getting some custom cabling done as im not happy with the finish on the bitfenix cables i ordered. They just don't sit right.

Also getting a fan controller soon and maybe a new SSD. I'll post some pictures once I get spraying!

Soldato
Nah keep em pushing air through the rad and out the top - better performance and then you are not pulling all that hot air in to the case which will heat up the CPU and GPU quite a bit.

Just add dust filters to the intake fans if you have not already done so.

Dust filers won't help that much when you have negative pressure as air and dust are sucked in through the gaps in case.

Soldato
I honestly see no harm in it. It should just decrease CPU temperatures as a lot of the air that will be going through the rad will be fresh from outside.

I am a bit worried about the amount of hot air those 290s will put out though. For some reason nearly every GPU manufacturer has made the retarded decision to use perpendicular fins in their heatsinks. All of the heat gets blown on your motherboard or into your case whereas with parallel fins most will get blow towards the back of your case.

Basically have an experiment with temps and fan orientation. Theory can only get us so far.

Associate
OP
I honestly see no harm in it. It should just decrease CPU temperatures as a lot of the air that will be going through the rad will be fresh from outside.

I am a bit worried about the amount of hot air those 290s will put out though. For some reason nearly every GPU manufacturer has made the retarded decision to use perpendicular fins in their heatsinks. All of the heat gets blown on your motherboard or into your case whereas with parallel fins most will get blow towards the back of your case.

Basically have an experiment with temps and fan orientation. Theory can only get us so far.

Yeh agreed. I'll have a play tomorrow and see if I can get a better setup and compare temps. I'll let you know if it works out

Back
Top Bottom