industrial action by council is absolutely rubbish (pun intended)

Permabanned
Theres some sort of council run 'centre' next to my work, no idea what they do there, think it's a day centre for old folk who knows. Anyway, they work 9-5 mon-fri have all weekends off bank hols off, xmas off, easter off etc. I have to work all these unless I book time off. Probably got a good pension and benefits package aswell. They were all out on Thursday touting for hoots off passing motorists. Didn't get one from me as I left work.

you must think the same of all those big private sector offices that work 9-5 mon-fri then??? :rolleyes:

so basically you're jealous of having to work bank holidays and weekends, oh boo hoo, go find a normal job then?

Caporegime
Theres some sort of council run 'centre' next to my work, no idea what they do there, think it's a day centre for old folk who knows. Anyway, they work 9-5 mon-fri have all weekends off bank hols off, xmas off, easter off etc.

My small violin plays just for you. You work every single day of the year? Pull the other one.

Soldato
No I don't work every single day, I have to work my fair share of weekends and early starts etc like a lot of private sector workers. Not these cushy public sector ones that think they are badly done to.

Soldato
OP
I won't try and reason with you, it would likely be a waste of my time.

Probably as you havnt made a valid point, i would listen if you had. At christmas, the routes seem to be changed so all bins can be collected, they don't collect them at the weekends from what ive seen, or at any crazy time of the day they just do certain areas on different days (add them to their usual route etc) so why not now?

We pay for this service, if it was us just saying "sorry, cant be arsed to pay this month, il just give you a little extra next month" we would soon know about it.

Itrk2Xh.jpg

thats what they said, they should stick to it.

Collecting it 4 weeks after it was last emptied is disgusting.

Soldato
Theres some sort of council run 'centre' next to my work, no idea what they do there, think it's a day centre for old folk who knows. Anyway, they work 9-5 mon-fri have all weekends off bank hols off, xmas off, easter off etc. I have to work all these unless I book time off. Probably got a good pension and benefits package aswell. They were all out on Thursday touting for hoots off passing motorists. Didn't get one from me as I left work.

I wouldn't call having my job post deleted, being assigned a "generic" position based on an incorrect pay grade while getting a single 1% pay rise in five years (that we had to strike for) and my pension benefits massacred "a good pension and benefits package".

That's ignoring the likely job evaluation coming later in the year, which will be used as a convenient excuse to bust everyone down a salary scale.

It's like rats deserting a sinking ship - we've lost three people from the team in the last two weeks going to better paid jobs elsewhere in the private sector offering more money for less responsibility.

Man of Honour
Public sector suffer just as much if not worse with massive job losses and long term pay freezes with many at or not far off minimum wage. From my experience public sector suffered worse the private by a lot. 6k to 10k pay cuts where common for people on the low end wages. How can anyone say we did not share in the pain of the crash?

Data trumps anecdote I think here.

www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_299377.pdf

Man of Honour
I wouldn't call having my job post deleted, being assigned a "generic" position based on an incorrect pay grade while getting a single 1% pay rise in five years (that we had to strike for) and my pension benefits massacred "a good pension and benefits package".

That's ignoring the likely job evaluation coming later in the year, which will be used as a convenient excuse to bust everyone down a salary scale.

It's like rats deserting a sinking ship - we've lost three people from the team in the last two weeks going to better paid jobs elsewhere in the private sector offering more money for less responsibility.

The correct comparison is not what you had before, but how your new total compensation compare to what you could get elsewhere.

Pay freezes, restructures and so on have been happening in the private sector as well.

Caporegime
No I don't work every single day, I have to work my fair share of weekends and early starts etc like a lot of private sector workers. Not these cushy public sector ones that think they are badly done to.

So you don't have to work all the holidays and weekends by default at all then.

Having bank holidays and weekends off and doing an 8 hour day isn't 'cushy', it's normal. Sorry your job seems bad but maybe you should be angry at yourself for putting up with it.

Soldato
So you don't have to work all the holidays and weekends by default at all then.

Having bank holidays and weekends off and doing an 8 hour day isn't 'cushy', it's normal. Sorry your job seems bad but maybe you should be angry at yourself for putting up with it.

I work bank holidays by default. If I want them off I have to book it off using my annual leave and that depends how many people are already on annual leave.

So you're saying the council jobs are good compared to mine then? That's what I was saying in the first place. :)

And I will look for jobs in the council if anything I fancy comes up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I work bank holidays by default. If I want them off I have to book it off using my annual leave and that depends how many people are already on annual leave.

So you're saying the council jobs are good compared to mine then? That's what I was saying in the first place. :)

And I will look for jobs in the council if anything I fancy comes up.

I was saying any other job sounds good compared to yours. But we don't know anything about your job. For all I know you get double pay on bank holidays and weekends and loads of time off during the week.

You tried to make the council job sound cushy, when it's simply normal.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was saying any other job sounds good compared to yours. But we don't know anything about your job. For all I know you get double pay on bank holidays and weekends and loads of time off during the week.

You tried to make the council job sound cushy, when it's simply normal.

Normal depends very much on sector and expectations. For the service sector, where most council jobs actually sit, this sort of thing is not normal, because most service industries are open evenings and weekends because that is where the demand is.

While it is true that much employment operates with mon-fri 9 to 5 normality, the private sector equivalent of many public sector jobs don't.

Permabanned

there are also a lot more private sector workers who only work 9-5 monday to friday, so by your definition they have cushy jobs too. Its like you're saying only council workers are at work 9-5, when the reality is practically everyone not in service/retail/security doing a normal job works these hours. I think you will find the vast majority of people work mon-fri.

If you dont like it go get a job thats 9-5, dont cry about it expecting sympathy, I hate shift workers that bitch about it, we all know what our working pattern will be like before we start, dont like it dont start it

Last edited:
Soldato
Data trumps anecdote I think here.

www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_299377.pdf
That’s only because of all the parliament workers in London. Go look at the figures for school workers or nurses with the massive job losses and pay cuts. You know the people who went on strike because of the low wage.

In the real world outside of London we had large pay cuts, massive job losses and long pay freezes. It’s just the high end public workers distort how bad it is for the rest of the us. I also noticed the data in that link cuts out before most governments pay cuts came in. We might have had a delayed reaction but he still got hit hard. After a 5 year pay freeze like many public workers I just got hit for a 6k pay cut and I was not alone. Almost everyone I know got hit hard.

EDIT: I only glanced at that document but one massive flaw in it. It does not look at monthly earnings. Many of us after the pay cuts come out with £1000 even as low as £800 for full time (after tax).

Last edited:
Associate

My council is open 7 days a week from 6am to 6pm , the workshop where I am is open from 6am till 10pm ,we no longer have bank holidays either so not all public sector jobs are "cushy".

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yeah our council went on strike too, and I had a bulky rubbish collection paid for.
I currently have 3 beds on the driveway and nowhere to put them, nothing big enough to cover them and they say they wont pick them up if they're wet!

"We will pick them up ASAP sir, as long as they're not wet"

:(

Soldato
The correct comparison is not what you had before, but how your new total compensation compare to what you could get elsewhere.

Pay freezes, restructures and so on have been happening in the private sector as well.

I'm applying for jobs at the moment. It's worse, we're about 15% behind the typical IT sector job now. When I joined it was about par, but with a better pension scheme.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm applying for jobs at the moment. It's worse, we're about 15% behind the typical IT sector job now. When I joined it was about par, but with a better pension scheme.

Yeah, IT is one area where the public sector is vastly behind the private sector. That's mainly becuase the governments largest IT department (ITSA, who used to be part of the DWP) was privtised in 2000 and outsourced to EDS and then to Hewlett Packard in 2008. Since then the realisation has dawned on the DWP that they need some sort of IT resource inhouse but they feel they don't have to pay for it, as all the "expert" stuff is done by HP. This results in the pay being low and the quality of IT staff in the DWP being generally poor - although this has been negated somewhat by HP themselves making nearly 500 "ex" ITSA staff redundant and a lot of those staff taking up positions in the DWP (positions that have been advertised for nearly three years!) - the DWP couldn't believe thier luck when HP axed nearly all it's live support staff from Lytham St Annes in the last year - a site co-incidently 2 miles from the DWP's major IT hub, Peel Park in Blackpool.

*Disclosure - I started with ITSA in 1998, transferred to EDS and retired from HP 1 year ago.

Back
Top Bottom