The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Associate
MRK, just checking but my custom presets are nowhere near my catalog. My catalog is on the a separate SSD, the custom presets are in in the default location:

C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets

For this reason I always have a backup of my C:\users data too (+ other stuff that gets dumped in there).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It would be more efficient having them with the catalog IMO :p

Mine are:

C:\Lightroom Catalog\mrk\Lightroom Settings\Develop Presets

The whole C:\Lightroom Catalog/ folder contains everything for my LR and LR backs that up to the docs drive as mentioned earlier.

Associate
I agree! Just pointing out that the default isn't there, I think you specifically need to tell it to put presets there?

And I should move mine... But I do backup my user space anyhoo.

Does this then get picked up with the lightroom catalogue backup, the one that LR does itself?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup just go into preferences and tick this box to store presets with the catalog:

LR-Presets-folder.jpg

Soldato
anyone know if it's possible to find out what preset was used in a photo that was saved as JPG?

I can't find the raw file (if I even had one) and as I've updated and changed pc's a few times since editing the photo I've "misplaced the presets" lol:

I think the presets was one form Onone (Free preset) kind of sepia/beige tone... I can try to upload the Photo if it will help

Last edited:
Soldato
No there isn't unfortunately however there are a few ways around it that works for me and I couldn't find an easier way to do it.

Store your photo's on a NAS or a single point of reference that is a decent speed and that multiple computers can see, ensure that all machines with Lightroom are pointing at the same storage location.
Stick your catalogue info into a Dropbox or Google Drive folder with local sync, this way the catalogue updates are fed across the cloud to each machine when it syncs and you maintain the speed of access that your internal HDD offers.

Soldato
Is there any local Dropbox server I can install and run on my nas?

I'm pretty certain that you can't. But you've just given me the idea of using cloud sync on my synology NAS.

The risk might be corrupt catalogs if two PCs access the catalog at the same time.

I am doing it at the moment by using XMP files stored on my NAS along side the image files and star rating instead of flags as stars are in the xmp and the flags aren't.

That way I just reload metadata on the machine I want to 'update'.

Associate
jonney: You could try using smart previews to do you edits away from home and then sync those changes + do your final export when you get back.

Soldato
Guys, I've just bought some additional (1TB) Google Drive space, so I can back up all my photos to it.

Thing is, Google Drive is a goit. It won't let me point to a folder that already has stuff in it. How do I move all my photos, which I've just plonked in the library as folders (no smart collections etc.), and not lose all my processing? Is it easy? I don't dare do it without knowing before hand what is going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom