Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Associate
Erm, this isnt true? The brakes are almost as cheap as any other performance car....the discs are just over £50ea for Pagid, and £70 for a pad set.

It depends if you have a 171 with the big brakes. There are not any readily available aftermarket disks. Trust me I have looked, got a contact at brembo who also couldn't supply me due to merc being the only supplier.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It depends if you have a 171 with the big brakes. There are not any readily available aftermarket disks. Trust me I have looked, got a contact at brembo who also couldn't supply me due to merc being the only supplier.

Well I am talking about the car which I thought was being discussed, the R171 SLK55? The discs are £50 each with a pagid pad set at less than £40...:confused:

Associate
Erm, this isnt true? The brakes are almost as cheap as any other performance car....the discs are just over £50ea for Pagid, and £70 for a pad set.

Depends on the year and whether the brakes are composite or not and personally on a car like the SLK55 I'd stick with the original equipment, but each to their own!

My 350 is plenty quick enough anyway and cheaper to run!! :D

Associate
Well I am talking about the car which I thought was being discussed, the R171 SLK55? The discs are £50 each with a pagid pad set at less than £40...:confused:

2005-2007ish the SLK55 came with a 2 piece rotor floating disc on the front (6 pot fronts and then 4 pot rears) then after this date this brake kit became an option as they thought it was hindering sales. The 2 piece rotor is expensive and as far as I am aware there are no aftermarket replacements and OEM's are circa £500 a disc.

Saying that there may be an alternative over in the states which would save a lot of money over OEM http://www.racingbrake.com/C32-CLK55-AMG-FRONT-p/2118.htm. Not sure if any UK SLK55 owners have fitted these yet.

They are epic brakes mind.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I picked it up last night, so not long. It was just under £27k with full MB service history, 12 months warranty. Could have got a number that were cheaper, but the condition of this is immaculate.

Came with upgraded sound system and nav.

I had 35k to play with, and the choice was between a C63, M3, and RS5. Test drove them all, and whilst they are all very capable, the brutishness of the C63 just did it for me.

Soldato
I picked it up last night, so not long. It was just under £27k with full MB service history, 12 months warranty. Could have got a number that were cheaper, but the condition of this is immaculate.

Came with upgraded sound system and nav.

I had 35k to play with, and the choice was between a C63, M3, and RS5. Test drove them all, and whilst they are all very capable, the brutishness of the C63 just did it for me.

That sounds really good!

It's just such an impressive car. The engine and the sound of the thing. You must be loving it.

You made the right choice. What's the mileage?

Sorry for all the questions lol

Soldato
I'm not geen on the C63. It just seems like a rep mobile with a good engine and road setup. But the interior is still cheap to accommodate C200s etc.

alx

alx

Soldato
I'm not geen on the C63. It just seems like a rep mobile with a good engine and road setup. But the interior is still cheap to accommodate C200s etc.

Isn't that what a M3 basically is :confused:? Although BMW tend to make more effort on the interior for M3s and the like.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
2005-2007ish the SLK55 came with a 2 piece rotor floating disc on the front (6 pot fronts and then 4 pot rears) then after this date this brake kit became an option as they thought it was hindering sales. The 2 piece rotor is expensive and as far as I am aware there are no aftermarket replacements and OEM's are circa £500 a disc.

Saying that there may be an alternative over in the states which would save a lot of money over OEM http://www.racingbrake.com/C32-CLK55-AMG-FRONT-p/2118.htm. Not sure if any UK SLK55 owners have fitted these yet.

They are epic brakes mind.

Ah cool :) I am more up there with SL's as opposed to SLK's, SL55K brakes are cheap through all model years and knew that the SLK55 was similar. I didnt know about those later revised brakes etc.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Exactly the same with every car of this type, look at the new M4, it has the same pants interior that the regular 4's have.

Soldato
I agree, particularly from the outside I really like them, Just like a shrunk S class.. Hoping by the time I am ready to switch cars the new C63 will be in budget :)

Looked like a CLA from behind from a distance. Nose is very similar to the recently facelifted E-class.

Great looking car, would like to own one some day!

Back
Top Bottom