Is Putin being made into a scapegoat?

Soldato
The Soviet Union was a complicated murderous place, between Stalin, WWI and WWII there could have been up to 100million people killed in all kind of manners. That must have left a lot scars on the people to this day, whether they admit it or not.

We have seen what an happen when you lift the lid a country like Iraq, groups can form and fight for power and anarchy can follow.

Putin is a statesman I think at least we can say. Maybe he is just the stubborn bad guy or maybe he knows how to keep Russia from turning into the next Iraq.

Our papers are plastered with, 'Putin the terrorist' etc, is this really justified or is our understanding of the whole region just naive and ridiculous?

Soldato
Well I saw a headline today that said 'Putin murdered my son' regarding the recent plane crash, which is a completely ridiculous thing to say and then publish on the front page of a newspaper at this stage when nobody knows for sure what happened.

So yeah its a total scapegoat at this point.

Soldato
It's not just our understanding of the region it's our need and desire to expect everyone else in the world to conform to our standards and paradigm. Strangely enough an awful lot of people in the world don't necessarily like the way we do things. Putin's record speaks for itself he has turned a country that had no goal and was destroyed and rotting into something more powerful and successful. Doesn't change the fact he is a complete narcissistic ****** with a penchant for self-exposure. But he is being made into a scapegoat or rather target - wrongly I believe at the moment. I guess we all need a new baddie to keep the military industrial complex turning over.

Associate
Did Putin call the rebels and ask them to shoot down a airliner that day? No.

Did he supply sophisticated weapons to unprofessional idiots who don't know what they're doing? Probably.

Should Malaysia Airlines have been flying over a war zone? No.

I don't think you can strictly say Putin is to blame.

Soldato
Well I saw a headline today that said 'Putin murdered my son' regarding the recent plane crash, which is a completely ridiculous thing to say and then publish on the front page of a newspaper at this stage when nobody knows for sure what happened.

So yeah its a total scapegoat at this point.

Yes but that's printed media screaming for your attention. Not even worth using as toilet paper in a strong bout of diarrhea.

Soldato
Putin is a statesman I think at least we can say. Maybe he is just the stubborn bad guy or maybe he knows how to keep Russia from turning into the next Iraq.

Our papers are plastered with, 'Putin the terrorist' etc, is this really justified or is our understanding of the whole region just naive and ridiculous?

His Intelligence were told the rebels had downed a civilian plane minutes after it happened. Instead of showing he has REAL balls by coming on TV at prime time to tell the world the truth, he sent Medvedev to say a pathetic condoleances line. Meanwhile, he instructed his propaganda machine to cook up crack pot stories such as "Putin's plane was targetted!" , "Spanish air controller knows the truth!".

It's pointless to be a "strong leader" when it's easy, when you're smiling for the camera or raising your fist while ranting at a desk. A true leader knows that when **** hits the fan, it's on them to do what's hard.

Putin proved he is a coward, a kitten who looks in the mirror, meows and sees a lion roaring. The Russians are too miserable and too brainwashed to see it but the world has finally seen it, it's just a shame that 80 children had to die for it.

Associate

Did he supply sophisticated weapons to unprofessional idiots who don't know what they're doing? Probably.

Agree with this.

Still does not excuse the shooting down of the civilian airliner. Would like to see the perpetrators brought to justice - but doubt it will happen.

Soldato
Putin is just a very astute patriot. His goal from the very start when he became prime minister well over a decade ago now was to re-unify the eastern block states under russian rule. Annexing part of ukraine and re-uniting it with "the motherland" is easily the pinacle of his political career and gives him a very large amount of power from proving that he can actually do what he says. Putin isn't a scapegoat though and he plays international politics beautifully in my opinion. David cameron has little to no respect in europe and couldn't push through a bill if he tried, yet putin knows he has a large say in international matters and often asserts it to protect his own interests. Constantly veto'ing anything that could potentially harm russia is a good example and not asking the permission of other states to do what he thinks is in the best interests of his people.

Love or hate the guy, you have to admire his approach and how the majority of his people view his achievements over the years.

Soldato

agree........... but

Putin could have done a lot more to de-escalate the tension. Russian army camped on the border, rebels "acting" in the name of Russia etc. Putin was cashing in on destabilising / keeping that area unstable.

Headlines saying Putin killed my son are irresponsible / reckless journalism.

Soldato
Love or hate the guy, you have to admire his approach and how the majority of his people view his achievements over the years.

What a load of... What has Putin achieved? He took a patch of land from a bankrupt chaotic country, how will the Russians benefit from it? May I remind you Russia is the largest country on the planet already? Any freedoms the Russians had gained after the fall of Communism, he took back. The Russian economy is a wreck, it's 100% dependant on resources, the infrastructure is a mess, corruption is rampant. The Media is under total State control, as is in the Internet. With the exception of a few big cities, Russia is in the Stone Age more or less. Life expectancy is 15 years (!!!) lower than developing countries, not to mention developed ones.

As for the claim of International Relations Mastery, tell me, who are Russia's allies? Belarus? Kazakhstan? Wow, look out America! What countries can Russia influence? The US started the war in Iraq with no reason and no proof of WMDs yet 13 countries, from the UK to Georgia, from Poland to Australia, helped them. They didn't use threats to convince them, they didn't blackmail them, they just asked and those countries complied. That's what it means to have Power. Russia has none of that.

Back
Top Bottom