Centurion's 2014

Soldato
OP
Yes indeed, and even with the plates, I've found that my movement pattern has become strange. I've decided to consciously dorsiflex a lot at the start, this has led to (I think) less back involvement and more quads. But it does feel a bit strange.

Man of Honour
Essentially, if your femurs are too long or your hips have a certain anatomy (deep acetabular sockets), then your ankles have to give as your hips can only provide a certain angle without the lower back having to give.

What you may be finding is that you may be getting lower as a result of greater ankle mobility, but this is also meaning your pattern has to change as a result.

So... keep at it. :)

Man of Honour
Probably...so what? :) As long as it doesn't become a habit, it just shows you were enjoying the session enough to lift for lifting's sake.

Also, because you weren't pushing yourself with the weight, you were probably a bit slack. :)

Soldato
OP
Hmm, for deads I definitely felt like I was pushing myself! Here's vids:

I decided to upload all sets into one video to make it easier. May have to skip ahead a bit to reach working sets.

Man of Honour
An interesting extra 4 inches of squat ROM has appeared... ;) No wonder they felt different. :D

Same rules apply, however - keep your glutes working to help reduce your topple forward out the hole as you get tired.

Great work btw - this is a very cool and awesome amount of progress!

Deads? Slick as always. Just remember to keep tight and what happens when you get carried away I guess. ;)

Soldato
OP
I've always struggled with conscious control of whether my glutes are active during a squat. I can just about manage it with a bodyweight squat but as soon as I'm lifting with a weight my control over my glutes is minimal. Do I need to do glute activation exercises, or something else for better motor control?

Man of Honour
Sure you can (glute bridges)... Alternatively, just squat more, slowly, and pause the reps to get a feel for what is going on. In the end, it is possible to do specific exercises incorrectly and cement a bad activation pattern, too, so the easiest answer (Korea me) is just do a real movement, slowly and deliberately.

Soldato
OP
27/07/2014

Front Squats
20kg x 5 x 2
30kg x 5
Did the warmups slow, and paused reps. This knackered me out!
40kg x 5
45kg x 5
40kg x 5 x 3

I want to be able to do 45 5x5 very soon...

BORs
20kg x 5
30kg x 5
32.5kg x 5 x 5

On the last rep of the last 3 sets, I couldn't get the bar all the way up to my belly button... what gives?

Conclusions: Body pls respond

Soldato
OP
At least it's good to know that they were actually working! I always imagined my lats being so tight that the fibres are bunched up together refusing to work.

On a related note, I've now added in hanging from a pullup bar onto the end of my sessions. As I may have mentioned before, they give me a very mild stretch in my pecs, but actually a decent one in my lats (my right more so than my left). Is this sufficient as a lat stretch or will I quickly 'outgrow' it and need a more aggressive stretch? At the moment, the grip is the first thing that gives way, because I can't hang for much more than a minute.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ways and means. :D

Supinate your grip, then add weights around your waist, then put your feet up on something and increase the and between your torso and thorax... Or go one handed and twist under your shoulder and you stretch it...

If you gave heavy bands, you can replicate it with then and give your lats a thorough feasting...

Soldato
OP
29/07/2014

Front Squats
20kg x 5 x 2
30kg x 5
40kg x 5
45kg x 4 x 2
40kg x 5 x 2

I WILL get to 5x5 on 45kg!

BORs
32.5kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift
60kg x 5 x 2
80kg x 2
90kg x 4
80kg x 4

That was a tiring session! Seems to have taken a toll on my lumbar.

Soldato
OP
02/08/2014

Deadlift
60kg x 5 x 2
70kg x 5
80kg x 2
90kg x 2
100kg x 1
Camera ran out of memory while filming that 100, so I did the only thing I could - another rep
100kg x F

That session took too long. The deadlifts themselves took around 40-45 mins, so with the preworkout and postworkout mobility it was over 1 hour. Time is something that's not on my side right now.

Conclusions: Pains. Lots.

Back
Top Bottom