Motor insurance cancelled on the M5! Thanks Admiral!

Caporegime
I have never had an insurance company ask me for anyone's licence?

If they cancelled the policy, did they refund the premium?

aren't admiral group the one that monitor all the quotes you run and if you start changing around the details contact you and threaten to void your insurance unless you comply with the checks they ask for ?

Sure I remember somebody running quotes for potential future modiciations and had to go get his car inspected because of it.

has the OP being doing a bit of speculation with quotes and using his real details ?

Associate
I had a claim recently, my fault, and they dealt with it really well, I even had to escalate the claim and the recommended body shop was shi... not great, I suppose thats their fault but I gave the opportunity and they responded allowed me to get the work completed at volvo paid all bills and expenses and gave me 150 back due to the time and inconvenience caused.

Soldato
OP
they asked for proof of your licenses, not for your vehicle to be inspected so I'm guessing instead you were changing the dates people got their license to try and work out what future premiums might be ?

Nope, I used their website once. Put the details in, liked the price, put two people on my policy and bought it.

Never visited the site again!

Associate
they asked for proof of your licenses, not for your vehicle to be inspected so I'm guessing instead you were changing the dates people got their license to try and work out what future premiums might be ?

Asking for proof of licenses seems to just be standard procedure whenever they think you haven't declared something.

Just taken out a new policy with endsleigh who think I haven't declared a claim. Now have to send them copy of licenses for all named drivers along with the explanation as to why I didn't declare it.

Could just be a random check in case you forgot to declare some points for someone.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's more likely to be something along the lines of a slightly incorrect date of birth being added to one of the drivers or perhaps they live at a different address and the admiral system can't tally them up with a license on the database.

Otherwise you could in theory go round making up individuals to bring down your premium.

...Maybe.

Caporegime
It's more likely to be something along the lines of a slightly incorrect date of birth being added to one of the drivers or perhaps they live at a different address and the admiral system can't tally them up with a license on the database.

Otherwise you could in theory go round making up individuals to bring down your premium.

...Maybe.

they can't check your license details without your permission

when I had to make a claim i was in a 3 way conference call with my insurer and DVLA while the DVLA asked for my details, asked for my consent, then confirmed the details of the license back to the insurer

If they can just check the database at whim, they'd have had no need for this, equally they woudn't need a photocopy of your driving license, they could just look it up on the DVLA database.

Caporegime
Asking for proof of licenses seems to just be standard procedure whenever they think you haven't declared something.

Just taken out a new policy with endsleigh who think I haven't declared a claim. Now have to send them copy of licenses for all named drivers along with the explanation as to why I didn't declare it.

Could just be a random check in case you forgot to declare some points for someone.

thats because insurance companies talk to each other and when you take out a policy they check against the data to see what you may have omitted or changed when moving insurer.

OP obviously has given some piece of information regarding the license of somebody incorrectly and this has flagged up on the system that last time they were insured, their D.O.B or number of years with license was different etc..

Soldato
OP
thats because insurance companies talk to each other and when you take out a policy they check against the data to see what you may have omitted or changed when moving insurer.

OP obviously has given some piece of information regarding the license of somebody incorrectly and this has flagged up on the system that last time they were insured, their D.O.B or number of years with license was different etc..

Whenever I use comparison sites I always put in my name as jkhefwkj ejfbw and an address down the road. Other info like DOBs are all general.

When I used the admiral site it was the only time I put it all in correctly (new cookies too!).

I mainly do this to avoid getting letters, phone calls and the usual insurance price bump the more you use a site. When I took out the real insurance it was the first time I added drivers to my policy.

This was a random audit - a friend who works for Endsleigh confirms even they do it - a few percent of their customers are selected a year. I'm not saying you're defiantly wrong, but what you say may not absolutely be fact in my case.

Soldato
Even then, what planet are they living on to think 2 weeks is anywhere close to sufficient?

2 weeks is plenty of time to photocopy your licence and send it to them.
If you want to attain cover for people who are outside of the country, as with all policies you need to have the information in place before you apply.
I find it incredible than people think insurance for motor vehicles should be in 'pending' mode for a period of time, with the company 'open to risk' during this period as they must maintain the car as insured.

If people can't find their own legal document in 2 weeks, then people really have an issue with themselves and keeping their own, owned legal documents safe.
Does the same person know where his wallet is, or his credit cards are?
Licence can be used to fake identity, you should know where it is.

Soldato

The OP didn't have 14 days though, he had 8 days.

If you want to attain cover for people who are outside of the country, as with all policies you need to have the information in place before you apply.

I suggest you read the thread more carefully. The policy had already been active for 3 months and the person out of the country could very very well have been someone on holiday. Afterall, June-September is high time for holidays.

I find it incredible than people think insurance for motor vehicles should be in 'pending' mode for a period of time, with the company 'open to risk' during this period as they must maintain the car as insured.

I find it incredible that you can't see that an insurance company suddenly springing this letter on a customer and giving them 8 days to get together 3 driving licences and send them back to them is not acceptable. The insurance company had "opened themselves to risk" for the prior 3 months when the policy was active without worrying, so why the massive hurry up? And if the insurance company was worried about this then THEY should have asked for the documents when the OP took out the policy.

If people can't find their own legal document in 2 weeks, then people really have an issue with themselves and keeping their own, owned legal documents safe.

They haven't had 2 weeks. OP had 8 days before the cancelled his policy. What happens if he had been on holiday? Do you think its acceptable that an insurance company potentially allow a family, perhaps with young children in the car, who have just come back from a nice 2 week holiday to drive home without any kind of insurance cover just because the insurance company have not allowed a reasonable time?

Licence can be used to fake identity, you should know where it is.

:confused: Right... what happens if you know where it is, but you don't even know the insurance company want a copy of it because you haven't even picked up their letter yet?

Soldato

Especially at the beginning of summer when loads of people are abroad on holiday. Many of whom will have taken their licence with them for hire cars.

2 weeks is not enough. Why can't they just check with the DVLA if the named drivers have a valid licence ?

Caporegime
if you read the dates carefully they sent him a letter on the 30th, which he received on the 4th.

By the 6th they had generated a letter saying that as they hadn't received the documents they would be cancelling the policy ! They didn't even leave it a week !

Back
Top Bottom