Do you like your job?

Soldato
Economic failure? I really don't think the money I get or the opportunities I get on a daily basis equate to failure, if that's your take on how you work then so be it but its not that for everyone.

KaHn

We all know you're alright. I'm talking about the vast majority of people scraping by - the recession, etc, surely you must have heard of it, it effects people n... stuff.

Soldato
I must be among the relative minority that actually enjoy my job! I price Savings products for a financial institution.

It's fairly rewarding to have such a visible role, in a fast moving department, where the results of my own work are so clearly tangible.

Soldato
OP
We all know you're alright. I'm talking about the vast majority of people scraping by - the recession, etc, surely you must have heard of it, it effects people n... stuff.

The vast majority of people I know (this is from a town in the north east) are doing just fine, non are complaining, so if you've some how been hit harder than the rest I'll apologies at that but work is what you make of it.

KaHn

AJK

AJK

Associate
The vast majority of people have no choice in the matter - go to whatever work you're lucky enough to get, get worked to the bone, or lose everything. I don't understand this fantasy world of 'loving your job' you guys are talking about. Do you think you may have brainwashed yourselves 'happy' in the face of blatant economic failure and grim realities for millions in the age of austerity?

Are you trying to say that some people don't like their jobs, therefore nobody does, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying? Cause that's a weird point of view. You must be very unsatisfied at work?

(I like my job.)

Soldato
The vast majority of people I know (this is from a town in the north east) are doing just fine, non are complaining, so if you've some how been hit harder than the rest I'll apologies at that but work is what you make of it.

KaHn

"Work is what you make of it."

No it's not. Plenty have failed (including huge multinational companies) no matter how hard they tried/worked. This is a belief/dictum you hold onto (which admittedly makes you more likely to succeed). The reality is that you are also very fortunate, as well as a hard worker.

You don't need to apologise for my problems ;) - the vast majority of people I personsally know *seem* to be getting by but there have been record levels of unemployment and repossessions etc, in recent years. I find it hard to ignore/brush off based purely on my limited sphere of social interaction.

Soldato
Are you trying to say that some people don't like their jobs, therefore nobody does, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying? Cause that's a weird point of view. You must be very unsatisfied at work?

(I like my job.)

Not really. 'Some', or even 'vast majority', doesn't equal 'all', not sure how you made that leap of logic?

Think of me as merely highlighting the grim reality of work for many poor people with no social mobility.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Not really. 'Some', or even 'vast majority', doesn't equal 'all', not sure how you made that leap of logic?

Your post said, quite directly, that you don't understand how anybody can love their job, and suggested that perhaps anyone who claims to has brainwashed themselves. You seemed to be saying that you didn't believe anyone could ever be happy in their job. Thought I'd ask.

Think of me as merely highlighting the grim reality of work for many poor people with no social mobility.

Fair enough. Realise though that there are many people to whom this does not apply, for whatever reason. Not every role, company, industry or sector is affected by austerity and recession in the same way. Some people are, for whatever reason (hard work, luck, etc.), secure in jobs that they do very much enjoy - or at least like.

Soldato
Your post said, quite directly, that you don't understand how anybody can love their job, and suggested that perhaps anyone who claims to has brainwashed themselves. You seemed to be saying that you didn't believe anyone could ever be happy in their job. Thought I'd ask.

Not quite. I said this, which is different to what you 'seemed' to have inferred.

"The vast majority of people have no choice in the matter - go to whatever work you're lucky enough to get, get worked to the bone, or lose everything. I don't understand this fantasy world of 'loving your job' you guys are talking about. Do you think you may have brainwashed yourselves 'happy' in the face of blatant economic failure and grim realities for millions in the age of austerity?"

You'll notice that I don't preclude the possibility of someone loving their job, I only imply that this is fantasy world from my perspective.

The last sentence is a direct question to those whom are saying that they do love their job, it's not a rhetorical sweeping statement implying that this is the case for absolutely everyone. Think deeply now.

Fair enough. Realise though that there are many people to whom this does not apply, for whatever reason. Not every role, company, industry or sector is affected by austerity and recession in the same way. Some people are, for whatever reason (hard work, luck, etc.), secure in jobs that they do very much enjoy - or at least like.

Fine. But I would posit that this security is merely a temporal illusion. Circumstances can change drastically for all sorts of reasons completely out of the individuals control. A little acknowledgement of this and perhaps a little empathy with those not as fortunate, and perhaps not even that much different to you (bar for one or two missed payments), wouldn't go amiss.

Soldato
OP
Fine. But I would posit that this security is merely a temporal illusion. Circumstances can change drastically for all sorts of reasons completely out of the individuals control. A little acknowledgement of this and perhaps a little empathy with those not as fortunate, and perhaps not even that much different to you (bar for one or two missed payments), wouldn't go amiss.

I think you miss understood the reason behind this thread, it was more a follow on from the "memorable moments at work" thread. A lot of people seem to dislike their work which I don't get, even when I worked in a bar I enjoyed it but it was never going to be my career.

You seem to think its a dig if you haven't done well in life which it wasn't at all.

KaHn

Soldato
The vast majority of people have no choice in the matter - go to whatever work you're lucky enough to get, get worked to the bone, or lose everything. I don't understand this fantasy world of 'loving your job' you guys are talking about. Do you think you may have brainwashed yourselves 'happy' in the face of blatant economic failure and grim realities for millions in the age of austerity?

Hey, someone who agrees with me for once!

Thing is about modern society - A few have everything at the expense of the others. Our current government has no concept of local economies or social capital, they're content to let huge multinational corporations run riot over everything sucking the life out of communities, sucking the independence out of the UK and stifling young entrepreneurs.

Their economic policies are focussed around forcing down wages stating it makes us more competitive and makes things cheap, and it doesn't when most of the stuff we buy isn't produced in this country. Even if it was made here a business won't lower it's prices or hire more workers because wages drop, they'll just have a bigger bonus around the exec table.

All most people want is a steady living but apparently it's too much to ask that the government supports the interest of the vast majority, instead forming their policies to what looks best in their reports and guarantees them a cushy retirement sitting on their arse. Sad the way politics has gone, very sad.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dislike my job, which is why I'm trying to set something up on the side that I genuinely enjoy.

Hopefully with an internal move this week I'll find some more motivation.

Soldato
I dislike my job, which is why I'm trying to set something up on the side that I genuinely enjoy.

Hopefully with an internal move this week I'll find some more motivation.

It is nice that you have that opportunity. With my skillset, quals and experience I could do very well in private sector self-employed, but I like the security of my current role as private sector can be quite insecure at times.

In my agency we are denied working outside of our main job, and we regularly get checked up on too, to make sure we aren't doing any other work on the side - even if totally unrelated to our main role.

I think a lot of people are either stuck in a rut, or on the verge of being so. You need to realise that comfortzone is not healthy, motivation and desire can be healthy, but most of all you should get self-respect. Myself included in that too.
Set up a LinkedIn profile, get connected to recruiters and managers (and colleagues/industrial like-for-likes) and develop a good solid CV that sells yourself without being cocky, arrogant or over-confident (or lies).

Their economic policies are focussed around forcing down wages stating it makes us more competitive and makes things cheap, and it doesn't when most of the stuff we buy isn't produced in this country. Even if it was made here a business won't lower it's prices or hire more workers because wages drop, they'll just have a bigger bonus around the exec table.

This is very true - reductions in all industries occur, such as Oil, Gas, resources/utilities, exchange rates become more preferable, yet the savings are never passed on to the customers.
Bank of England lending rates are lowered, yet Banks lend at even higher APRs. People with decent solid credit ratings are denied all credit except the huge APR ones as they don't fit a cookie-cutter template of their 'ideal customer'. Makes you wonder if the default ideal customer is one that defaults regularly...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey, someone who agrees with me for once!

Thing is about modern society - A few have everything at the expense of the others. Our current government has no concept of local economies or social capital, they're content to let huge multinational corporations run riot over everything sucking the life out of communities, sucking the independence out of the UK and stifling young entrepreneurs.

All most people want is a steady living but apparently it's too much to ask that the government supports the interest of the vast majority, instead forming their policies to what looks best in their reports and guarantees them a cushy retirement sitting on their arse. Sad the way politics has gone, very sad.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. we all make our own decisions in life.. and yes some people are more advantaged than others.. but at the end of the day success is there for anyone that has enough drive and is willing to put in the hardwork..

It seems all to easy for people these days to fall back on "oh I am socially disadvantaged" or "the country is geared for big business".. its a load of tosh.. everyone works to the same set of rules and economic..

Soldato
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. we all make our own decisions in life.. and yes some people are more advantaged than others.. but at the end of the day success is there for anyone that has enough drive and is willing to put in the hardwork..

It seems all to easy for people these days to fall back on "oh I am socially disadvantaged" or "the country is geared for big business".. its a load of tosh.. everyone works to the same set of rules and economic..

What I love about this country. No matter where you start, who you are, you are given the tools to become successful. Free education. Squander it and that's your fault.

The system doesn't care if you are rich, poor, black, white, northener, southener.

I shall sit here and wait for a counter argument from someone claiming the system is against them and it's impossible for them to do well. :rolleyes:

Associate
What I love about this country. No matter where you start, who you are, you are given the tools to become successful. Free education. Squander it and that's your fault.

The system doesn't care if you are rich, poor, black, white, northener, southener.

I shall sit here and wait for a counter argument from someone claiming the system is against them and it's impossible for them to do well. :rolleyes:

Unless pursuing a career in politics, this rings true. It seems like many succesful entrepreneurs we see today came from next to nothing, usually coming from a desire to change things around for themselves. It seems like personal effort is the key to success around these parts.

Soldato
Sometimes, but it certainly doesn't drag me to work in the mornings, up after 6, 30mins or so through traffic to Dyce then home again after 4pm.

Hours are good and work isn't hard at all for a good salary and company to work for.

Not somewhere I'd like to stay for the medium or long term, just another rung in the ladder before heading into an Operator once I've got the required experience and contacts I need.

I work offshore. 'Nuff said... lol.

I don't actually get £1k per day. I get a salary plus a day rate. So if I don't work too many days, it seems as though I get paid more per day. So I only did around 55 days last year, so it looks like a high day rate. If I did 3 times as many days, I wouldn't get 3 times as much pay.

A few years ago, I only did 17 days for the whole year, so worked out closer to £2.5k per day.

Dope on a rope? :p

Associate
I'm 2 months into my new job and I'm enjoying it so far. I feel tired after work because I'm using my brain (past job was brain dead student job) and I feel I'm progressing well. I work with a small Team of 5 People in the UK (Company is swiss) with a max of 2 in 3 in the office at once so the atmosphere is relaxed and I feel comfortable to ask questions and be myself.

I was employed on the basis of learning all the office duties first and our products and then progressing into a field role, so I'm motivated to do well knowing I will walk into the next role in a year or so with all the benefits of a wage rise, bonuses and a Company vehicle.

I studied 3D Art and Animation from home for a couple of years, and now 20/30% of my job involves creating 3d models for our customers purchases, this will increase as I progress. I also put myself forward to be the sole 'super user' in the UK for the Company using PX5 so I'm off to Switzerland next month for some training. I love that aspect of my job, and the fact our customers include major racing Teams (inc F1) plus the Museum and MOD industries so it is both exciting and varied. I also get to attend quite a few exhibitions (was at Farnborough air show) a couple of weeks back.

The other large percentage of my work is sorting out the orders and invoices etc, which isn't so fun, but I know I have to start at the bottom and can/will work my way up.

Do I enjoy my work, yes I do.

Back
Top Bottom