BBC testing UHD.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
OP
As part of its presence at the Commonwealth Games, BBC Research & Development currently has a number of ultra high definition (UHD) television screens at both the Science Centre in Glasgow and New Broadcasting House in London showing live coverage of the games. These screens are open to the public for the duration of the Commonwealth Games and free to view for visitors between 10am and 5pm in Glasgow and 12 midday to 3.30pm in London.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
OP
well finally got a reply from someone in charge.

Thank you for our interest in UHD. BBC R&D is currently working with the
other European broadcasters within the European Broadcasting Union
(www.ebu.ch) to define the most appropriate technical parameters for UHD
in Europe. We are considering parameters such as frame rate, bit depth,
dynamic range and colorimetry. No conclusions have been reached yet, as
there is still further research to be done. The results will be
published in due course.

Regards
John Zubrzycki
Portfolio Manager
BBC R&D

so god knows where it will end up. sigh.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
OP
was trying to find out what they where actually classing as uhd, res and bandwidth. after all iplayers hd in glorious 720p.

i know what you said, but unless your working at the bbc its just your guess, although a educated one as i take it you work in tv land of some description.

Soldato
Bit more than an educated guess, the facts are that UHD for broadcast is classed as 3840x2160 resolution, the current spec allows for 50p or 60p. Bandwidth wise the absolute minimum you can get away with for a 50p stream at that resolution using the HEVC codec is around 18Mbps depending on the content. Transmission tests that have been carried out so far have ranged from 20Mbps to 35Mbps, so as an educated guess, the BBC are probably testing their feed at 30Mbps but they could well be varying it since it is a test.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
OP
ahhh. just hope its more towards the 35Mbps end make a nice change from the current gimped stuff. sky movies for one even in hd can look rather iffy. although film4 the last time i had it in hd looked very good.

Man of Honour
I'd be suprised if the bitrate as generally used will be that high - infact I wouldn't be completely shocked if it ended up around 11-12Mbit even :S

Soldato
It'll be the same or near enough as the World Cup tests. If you're close enough to the right transmitter (WC was Crystal Palace, not sure about this) you'll be able to dump the whole mux with any T2 tuner then try and play it back.

The World Cup footage was:
HEVC 3840 x 2160 @ 59.59 FPS, 35mbps
HE-AAC 48HZ Stereo 153kbps

Soldato
Another switchover will happen, turning off DVB-T only leaving T2, SD channels will move to h.264, HD channels to h.265 etc. etc. It's all possible and part of the BBC's remit to push technology in the UK.

You will get something on T2 (HEVC) soon though, even if it's just a BBC demo channel like BBC HD was back in 2009.

Soldato
You can tell which cameras are native 4K while watching on 1080p, not a lot of them. All of the shots aren't even 1080p yet, some are just high grade broadcast cameras.

Doubt it'll be anything amazing or if anything will come of it any time soon.

Last edited:
Associate
SD has definitely dropped in bit rate and the +1 channels even more so, some are around 1Mbps. Sky are actually considering delivering 4k over the Internet utilising the fibre network their working on so they can guarantee a sustained bit rate to their boxes. They can then keep the satellite bandwidth for SD and HD.

Standard definition Freeview channels look like VHS quality.

Soldato
You can tell which cameras are native 4K while watching on 1080p, not a lot of them. All of the shots aren't even 1080p yet, some are just high grade broadcast cameras.

Doubt it'll be anything amazing or if anything will come of it any time soon.

What sort of content are you referring to, for something to be classified as HD for broadcast it must be recorded at at least 1920x1080 and 50 interlaced or 25 progressive frames a second or 1280x720 at 50 progressive frames a second, which used to be the case for some sports channels but I don't know if that's changed.

It is anticipated that UHD broadcasts will start at some point in 2016 and from the current tests it promises to be pretty amazing, considering the frame rate is being doubled, the resolution is quadrupled and the colour space will also be widened.

Caporegime
Tbh there is nothing on BBC I would want to watch in 4k
I think if you don't watch sport much (me) there isn't really anything on broadcast TV where I go 'I want higher resolution)
Certainly not at cost of more licence fee

Only thing that I think would interest me is films. I'm not sure how much capacity a 4k film would need

And if it doesn't he told established on physical media I will never need to worry about it anyway for at least 10yrs I expect

Associate
^ More than likely as I can't see them getting rid of freeview any time soon.

Is it not possible to add more capacity on freeview?

Capacity is dependent on the modulation used and the frequencies available in an area. If you can receive all channels currently transmitted then it's about 129Mbit/s for DVB-T and 40Mbit/s for DVB-T2. A typical Freeview stream/channel uses about 1600-1800Mbps. A new channel is also being rolled out so that'll be even more. Will probably be DVB-T2 to expland the HD channels available.

Soldato
What sort of content are you referring to, for something to be classified as HD for broadcast it must be recorded at at least 1920x1080 and 50 interlaced or 25 progressive frames a second or 1280x720 at 50 progressive frames a second, which used to be the case for some sports channels but I don't know if that's changed.

It is anticipated that UHD broadcasts will start at some point in 2016 and from the current tests it promises to be pretty amazing, considering the frame rate is being doubled, the resolution is quadrupled and the colour space will also be widened.

I'm referring to the coverage of the Commonwealth Games.

Back
Top Bottom