Commuter Advice - Is My Logic Right?

Soldato
sure its cheaper to drive?

i worked out that personally the price of a monthly season ticket was cheaper than fuel (45-50mpg derv), servicing, general wear and tear. thats for a 36 miles each way journey.

I'm the same though it's a much smaller commute I have now at circa 40 miles round trip - monthly train/bus ticket doesn't even cost the same as my fuel never mind other running costs. But then again this will vary massively by location.

Plus it's an absolute pain in the arse. I'll get the train for a few weeks during the summer when I don't mind a 20 min drive turning into an hours commute, trying desperately to line up trains that will connect with the follow on bus at around the same time...when it's light and reasonably warm - in winter it's just not on

Soldato
OP
I'm still in 2 minds whether or not to spend 5k on something cheap or spend up to 12k for something luxury. I've been looking at CLS 320/350 CDI's, 530D's and A6 3L TDI's.

I also looked at a Passat 1.9tdi Highline today and it was really rough. That said, the Passat is a really good buy if you can find a well maintained one for around 4k.

Man of Honour
Just get a 2004 ish 1.8 TDCI Focus for £1300 or so. Will do 48mpg combined and they're more than adequate for driving to and from work with.

Soldato
No way; a high mileage diesel focus would be more hassle than it's worth when things start going wrong.

not always the case,

the 1.8 tdcis are pretty bulletproof.

like anything shop carefully theres millions of the buggers. get something with a decent history and evidence of a recent clutch/dmf change and your set. even then i recently done the flywheel/clutch in the wifes diesel focus. sub £500 for a genuine LUK clutch and flywheel. fitted

alternatively a mk4.5 Mondeo. bought a 3yr old ex fleet at the beginning of march for 5k and have put 50k miles on it since. without any issues. as above buy smart and put a few quid by to cover some inevitable niggles

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a 996 to use occasionally. They are known for developing oil leaks if not used often and it cost a fortune to get them fixed.

If it was me it would depend on how long I would need to do the commute for. I would either buy something bangertastic and keep the Z4, or sell the Z4 and buy something nice with commuting 70 day more in mind.

Soldato
I have a 2003 1.9 TDI for my 70 mile (each way) commute (not every day mind), and it does me fine. I spent £900 + indemnity at auction for it with 143k on the clock. MOT'd it, 2 brake lines replaced, and haven't spent another penny, barring fuel, tax and insurance for the last 10k. Average 47 mpg approximately.

Had an A3 2.0 TDI before, wasn't as economical at around 45 mpg. Had a couple of A4 2.0 TDI's and they were around the 40 mpg, so not really overly economical.

I would buy a 1.9 TDI passat (B5.5) if it were my money. £2-3k should get you a really well looked after one. I wouldn't care too much about the mileage on the car, so long as it was well looked after. In theory a BMW 320d might perform slightly better on fuel, but then budget for a set of winter wheels. The B6 A4 is also a shout, but they are a good couple grand more than an equivalent Passat at this age, and all you're really paying for is the badge and looks.

I wouldn't bother looking at any of the 3.0 diesels at that budget. They wont be overly economical, or quick. A remapped 1.9 PD 130 should be almost as quick as a 3.0 diesel, and much more economical with it. And don't be tempted by the Vag 2.5 TDI's. Their chocolate cams are more trouble than the're worth.

Associate
Curve ball... my freind does a commute like this in a i10 lease car gets 40+mpg.

Sure you could get pretty new on of them, with the rear seats down you have loads of room for mountainbikes. Wd got 3 in the back once.

Man of Honour
No way; a high mileage diesel focus would be more hassle than it's worth when things start going wrong.

Not really. I bought mine with 93k or so miles on it, in the year I've owned it that's climbed to 116k. The only issues I've had are a rear wheel bearing (£90) and there was a small oil leak from a seal, but the belt needed changing at the same time so that wasn't too bad, £400 I think. Apart from that it keeps on going, it's been a very reliable car.

Soldato
Curve ball... my freind does a commute like this in a i10 lease car gets 40+mpg.

Sure you could get pretty new on of them, with the rear seats down you have loads of room for mountainbikes. Wd got 3 in the back once.

I'm quite genuinely amazed by this - are you sure you mean an i10? Was every wheel off and all bars turned or something?? I could probably just fit 3 in the back of the civic with the seats down and its got a big boot for its class. Sure if I stripped absolutely everything off I'd fit more but its not really the same as just going out and chucking them in

Soldato
OP
I have a 2003 1.9 TDI for my 70 mile (each way) commute (not every day mind), and it does me fine. I spent £900 + indemnity at auction for it with 143k on the clock. MOT'd it, 2 brake lines replaced, and haven't spent another penny, barring fuel, tax and insurance for the last 10k. Average 47 mpg approximately.

Had an A3 2.0 TDI before, wasn't as economical at around 45 mpg. Had a couple of A4 2.0 TDI's and they were around the 40 mpg, so not really overly economical.

I would buy a 1.9 TDI passat (B5.5) if it were my money. £2-3k should get you a really well looked after one. I wouldn't care too much about the mileage on the car, so long as it was well looked after. In theory a BMW 320d might perform slightly better on fuel, but then budget for a set of winter wheels. The B6 A4 is also a shout, but they are a good couple grand more than an equivalent Passat at this age, and all you're really paying for is the badge and looks.

I wouldn't bother looking at any of the 3.0 diesels at that budget. They wont be overly economical, or quick. A remapped 1.9 PD 130 should be almost as quick as a 3.0 diesel, and much more economical with it. And don't be tempted by the Vag 2.5 TDI's. Their chocolate cams are more trouble than the're worth.

What are the main things to look out for on the 1.9 TDI Passats that have done high mileage?

Soldato
What are the main things to look out for on the 1.9 TDI Passats that have done high mileage?

This is ripped from the UK Passats site, so these guys know the cars.

Just a few pointers for you noobies that you should look at when buying a new sat

check for water damage passenger front foot well lift the carpet and the the black box which contains the ccm (ccm

controls the electrics for the doors and tailgate)

check where the battery doesn't have any water

and in the brake servo (this can be expensive) and also dangerous

make sure all the electrics work remote central locking and the lock button on the drivers door

also get the car diagnosed with vag com for any fault codes this needs to be done before you hand the cash over

try and test the alarm as this can also have water damage but in most cases just needs drying out

on the 1.8t and 1.8 20v the oil pumps can clog up with sluge after 120k miles

as well as all the usual checks that you should do

for estates only the pipe for the rear wiper washer jet can come apart behind the panel on the passengers side in the boot and also inside the tailgate its self. so if the boot is went thats whats coursed it

but don't be put of there great cars :wink:

Vagcom (VCDS) is handy. You should be able to pick up a cable capable of scanning and clearing fault codes for a little over a tenner on ebay, and the software is free. Although the genuine cable / software is £250+ the ebay special will be enough to code scan. If you want to do this, scan before the test drive, clear codes, do test drive then re-scan and see what codes re-appear. Scanning isn't REALLY necessary, but could be a good indicator of potential sensor problems and such.

To add to the above, the only thing to really look for in higher mileage examples will be clutch / gearbox and suspension / brakes. My motor, at 150k, is obviously showing signs of some of these issues. The suspension could benefit from a refresh, but so long as it's passing MOT's I aint caring just now. Same with other components really. Same with any higher mileage motor really.

Back
Top Bottom