Haggling

Soldato
Ashamed to have to ask, but this is something I have not had to do for years and have never had to do for second hand car from a dealer.

The local Lexus garage have a VW Golf for sale which they got as part-ex a few days ago. It ticks all of my boxes and looks in good condition with VW FSH.

It is priced up at £10k and I know they want to get rid of it as it is not a Lexus. I have been told they only kept it for sale as it is in good condition for its age and it is a BlueMotion which are quite desirable in the current climate.

What would you go in at to take it for cash? They are offering to service it, but I would prefer to take money off and get it done at VW to keep the service book looking good as I will want to sell it on at some point.

Just trying to work out what they would have likely paid for it as I want to start at that point.

Associate
IMO it sounds just as good to have it commimg from a Lexus dealer as it dose from a vw. As long as its not from a none dealer garage I can't see it making much difference. And Let be honest its a golf I would be surprised if it hadn't been to a Non vw garage some time in its life.

As what they paid for it would be a hard one.I would think they paid 8-8.5k for it but could be wrong as I haven't see the car and would need more info.

Last edited:
Associate
Hearing about a colleagues adventures at her VW dealership with her scirocco (most recent highlight - they shut the bonnet with a hammer on top of something and made big dents) I think I'd rather have it done elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
Type in the reg and mileage here

http://www.cap.co.uk/consumer/free-used-car-valuations

And look at the trade in valuation, should give you a decent idea

Sorry for late reply to my own thread but been really busy.

That cap website is really very good.

Seems that the Golf is a touch over the maximum so may well use it as leverage. CAP report states £8995 - £9850. That plus it being Friday afternoon and I have cash in my pocket. Going to see it again in a couple of hours.

It is here - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407205954915

Soldato
OP
Did you win the deal?

Hard haggle to be honest. Their argument was that the car is in immaculate condition, which it is, apart from it has one crap tyre on it and a fog light is cracked and they only had the car in a few days before so were not willing to budge.

I ended up talking to the big man and I ended up getting it for £9500.00. This is on the condition that they get and fit a new, original, fog light and give the car a full service (not due one for 3000 miles). They have also given me a 3 year chip / dent policy which basically covers me for £10 a pop any dents and knocks up to 3mm deep and 30cm wide. The missus is a little careless as times so thought it may well come in handy. Full tank of diesel and a bottle of wine as well.

All in all I wanted it for a bit less, but the car is exactly what we wanted. Our road is not the easiest to park on either so the fact that it also has a rear parking camera on it is a big bonus (not on the advert) for the missus who is not the best at parking.

Oh and the previous owner fitted a decent looking bluetooth thing for the phone which is coming with it as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Just go there, show keenness and a desire to buy (indicates your serious and not just window shopping) make your offer, have some banter and don't buy into the we can't do it for that talk.

Stick to your amount keep thing jovial and how much you want the car and if they can do it for xx your there. Don't budge on your price and if they can't meet it walk away, at this point they will take your offer if they can rather than let you walk out the door.

If they don't then pause at the door and start it all over again with a few £££ added on top

Back
Top Bottom