• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade My GTX260 but not changing system

Associate
Hi people

Been a while since I upgraded my pc, still running old gear but its still going well for what i need it for. I have changed the location of my pc and brought a smaller case as my cooler master comos it one huge mother.
My specs
intel Q6600 2.4GHZ quad
8GB DDR2
Asus P5Q Deluxe
2T HDD
GTX260 without HDMI

In the near future Im going to build a new high spec ITX but for now i want to upgrade my graphics card to enable me to have a HDMI, i been looking at upgrading to a GTX295 but also been looking at newer cards but as I'm not upgrading my hardware maybe its not worth it.

the only games i play on the pc is rocksmith and ruse maybe some other new games, I'm not to fussed about dx11 but would be nice if my systems any good for that.

what do you think, looking to spend up to £60 secondhand if needed GTX295 or not

Soldato
I have been looking out for a gtx560 seems a pretty good card all round

The 5 series are a decent option, but relatively power hungry by todays standards (released in 2011 so can't blame them). In the last 12 months I went (prices include P&P):

GTX 260 (£27.50)
GTX 460 (£40)
GTX 560 Ti (£51)
HD 7850 (£50)

Every step was an upgrade. I'd recommend going for the newest card you can, something like an AMD 7790, 7850, or R7 265.

On the Nvidia side you really want a 650 Ti Boost. The 6 series (Kepler) were a huge improvement over the 5. However they've held their value a lot better than competing AMD cards so you probably won't find much in-budget. The plain 650 Ti isn't all that much faster than your 260, you can do a lot better.

Soldato
HD 7850 2GB would be great, I had two of them in crossfire and loved them, at 1080p they are great and would balance your system brilliantly. Overclocks like a god also :)

Back
Top Bottom