Alt-fest (EBM, Industrial, Metal etc)

Soldato
http://www.alt-fest.com/

Just found out about this last week and it seems it started via Kickstarter.

I'm not interested in the Metal stuff but the EBM and Industrial band line-up already includes many of my fave bands. Ticket prices seem very reasonable too considering who is on.

Just thought I'd post it up for those who haven't come accross it yet.

Caporegime
I'm...skeptical.

I don't want to do festivals in a field again, the other festivals in the EBM genre (Infest/Resistanz) are both inside and it's much better for it. EBM music is suited to darkened rooms/lights etc. I don't want to try dancing in a muddy field!

Plus the whole thing just seems a little optimistic at the moment, and as their first festival I'm just not sure about how good it will be.

Soldato
OP
I'm...skeptical.

I don't want to do festivals in a field again, the other festivals in the EBM genre (Infest/Resistanz) are both inside and it's much better for it. EBM music is suited to darkened rooms/lights etc. I don't want to try dancing in a muddy field!

Plus the whole thing just seems a little optimistic at the moment, and as their first festival I'm just not sure about how good it will be.

Yeah I was thinking about that myself. I go to Amphi festival in Cologne which has indoor stages and an outdoor stage but it's all concrete so it's OK. But indoors is certainly much better.

I'm just going to wait and see on it and look at it nearer the time if they add more bands I haven't seen to the line-up. But as good as the line-up is, I've still seen almost all of them anyway via local gigs and festivals like Amphi.

Maybe just keep my money/time for the odd band I haven't seen such as Skinny Puppy and Infected Mushroom.

Years ago I'd have jumped at this but can't be bothered as much these days.

Still, it's cool to see annother EBM related festival pop up because I'm all for the genre and the bands getting more coverage and maybe leading to more individual tours etc. When I started listneing to a lot of these bands I would look for gigs and never found any other than maybe the occassional London one. It was all in US/germany.

These days a lot of the bands even come up North so I'm happy for that if nothing else

Soldato
OP
Still unsure what to do gig wise this year.
Juno reactor are at Infest and I'd be very inerested in that, but don't like any other bands.

I was all for going to amphi again but IAMX have dropped out due to Chris's health problems so I'm not bothered anymore.

Had a chance to go to the US and see Skinny Puppy in Tampa or Infected Mushroom in Chicago but couldn't decide so booked up snowboarding trip isntead.

Early days yet like and hopefully more good stuff is announced for Infest

Caporegime
Yeah I'm going with a large group after all that, will see how it goes :p

IAMX are so good live, such a shame about Chris's problems :(

I want to do infest now because I love Cyanotic (although Sean says there will be other dates and he's bringing Rabbit Junk over too, hopefully they'll play Alt Fest) and Juno Reactor, it's such a long way though from me.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it is gutting that they can't play. I only discovered them about 6 motnhs ago but they are instantly my fave band. Something about the music just fits so well for me and I think every single song on every single album is amazing.

They are the top of my list of bands to see so was really looking forward to having a good excuse to visit Cologne again.
Without IAMX, I've seen almost all the other bands last time I was there.

Yeah they are all a bit of a trip from up North so it's a hsame really. I can usually get to Cologne from my house just as quickly which is another reason I like to go there.

With any luck I can get to 1 gig.

But have to agree, Alt Fest for their first one are taking on a massive project here so who knows how it'll turn out.
For me, I'm not interested in a lot of the stages - I'm very open to loads of music but all the ones I like the most are on the Industrial stage and I've seen pretty much all of them.

My wife is a huge fan of Juno Reactor so more bands announced at Infest is what we'll be looking at over the next couple of months before deciding

Associate
It is with a heavy heart that we must confirm we have had to cancel Alt-Fest. We tried to put on a ground-breaking event for you & the alternative scene, and it was your support that was helping to make it happen. From our early days on Kickstarter through to all of you who have purchased tickets we thank you. We the organisers of Alt-Fest have done everything we can to save it, but this week we ran out of time to raise all the required funds that was needed upfront of the festival.
We also wish to apologise for the delay in releasing a formal statement cancelling the festival. We realise this has severely damaged our personal and professional reputations, we can only sincerely apologise for any additional stress and upset this has caused, we were honestly looking to act in your best interests.

We are very sorry to tell you that we have been advised to not reply to any individual comments or emails regarding the festival and instead make a comprehensive statement. It's not how we like to do things, it feels wrong to walk off and let your questions, thoughts and opinions go unanswered. So we'll try to answer them all briefly here.

We were doing very well for a first year festival. We sold over 7.5 thousand weekend tickets, and as you were aware we had a great line up with plenty going on. This however meant we had to pay for over half of all the band's fees, with the remainder due just before & at the festival itself. Securing bands was not the only cost. The festival was going to cost £1,703,000 in total to put on, including artists, riders, travel, accommodation, production: power, staging, sound, lighting, track way, fencing, water, waste, the venue fee, security, medical assistance, traffic management, health & safety, marketing and much more. We ourselves and all of the Alt-Fest team have put in huge amounts of effort and time over the past two years and done everything within our power to make this work.

If we were to sell a minimum of another 1,000 tickets between now and the festival, we'd have suffered a significant loss that we couldn't carry. This recently came to light based on a costing error explained below & inevitably down to the fact that the investor unfortunately pulled out last minute. We were expecting to sell more tickets based on our line-up, and if we had sold just 3000 tickets more then we would have been over the breakeven line, or if we could have deferred a percentage of our contractor's payment, which they sadly were not prepared to do.

We thought our logic was sound and this was also backed by other promoters and people we respect in the music industry in general – Marilyn Manson can easily sell out a 5000 capacity venue, as can The Cult, Arch Enemy or Cradle of Filth. Then there's the rest of the line-up plus the circus, steampunk, traders and art installations. Perhaps the people who would go to see them at a gig wouldn't go to a 3 day festival, but they could still have bought day tickets and seen some of the 60-odd bands on that day as well as the headliners, and bring their kids along for free too – we are still trying to understand why we haven't sold more tickets despite the offering & energy that has gone into it.

We've also been contending with a costing error made and ultimately poor advice in the early stages by a company who were supposed to help us work out what the festival would cost to put on. Coupled with the fact that in order for us to compete against the larger festivals then we had to put in very strong offers to be listened to by the agents & hence secure the talent. Additionally during the latter planning stages we were forced to move our main arena, through no fault of our own. This caused many extra costs that further increased the budget upfront of the event.

We have held continuous meetings and tried for months to secure investment & had genuine interest to cover this shortfall from individuals, investment firms and equity funding companies. Whilst there was every likelihood of this happening due to the positive feedback we were receiving, it was this week that our last option had run out. This was mainly because they didn't understand the festival market or the alternative scene. We even tried, as a last resort to save the festival for you all, going to the corporations that dominate the music and festival industry to offer an ownership over the event to ensure it's facilitated for our customers, but to no avail. We had exhausted all options but please know that we did everything within our power to make this happen.

We even looked at how we could make it to the festival and then recover this year's loss from next year's sales to get back on track. Unfortunately, we can't manage that either because of the way the festival industry and its operators are prone to work. We would have to pay all the contractors before they even come on site to build the festival – they all want the full fee upfront due to the state of the market. We also had the remainder of band deposits to make up before and at the event. We just could not raise all the money needed upfront to continue, nor offset it against any revenue coming after the event – bar, car parking revenue as examples.

We are so, so deeply sorry, it's awful to think of all the people who bought a ticket in good faith, who booked travel, some from the other side of the world. We massively appreciate the support you have shown, especially all the people who championed and defended us.

We do want you to know though, that it was never a scam or a con. We tried to do something new and different for you and the alternative scene, which was not easy. We have not gone on any exotic holidays or feathered our own nest, in fact exactly the opposite. We did not embezzle the money, or spend it recklessly, we used it to secure some of those great bands we had in the line-up, who required considerable deposits, and other aspects of the event as previously mentioned. We intended to make it an exciting event that would be enjoyed by every single one of you who supported us, so that we could grow even more in future years. Those of you who know us, we work tirelessly to put on excellent events. We never expected it to turn out this way and tried desperately to stop it from happening. However we could have done with better costing advice at the start and stronger ticket sales in this final period to get us through to the event.

We feel we have let the alternative community down, this saddens us immensely & the process we are about to go through is going to bankrupt us, which as I'm sure you can imagine adds huge strain on us as people & as a family.

It is just simply awful and we can only thank those of you who have shown us kindness and endless support, especially now in our most testing hour.

To claim a refund on your tickets, please look carefully at the following list, and at your email confirmation, to ensure you claim a refund from the correct retailer.

Festival Tickets via Festickets = direct with them festicket.com = Amazon Local are contacting their customers direct and processing refunds now.

Clubtickets.com - Festival tickets, Dismembership and addons (car parking etc) purchased through our website via clubtickets.com or by email at [email protected]

Festival Tickets via Festickets = direct with them festicket.com

Dismembership purchased through our webshop (with glamping/merch in) = contact Paypal to a raise a dispute.

Glamping purchased through our webshop (with merch etc in, NOT the same as the ticket page)= contact Paypal to raise a dispute.

Viewing platforms = contact Paypal to raise a dispute.

Tangerine Fields = direct with them at tangerinefields.co.uk.

Big Green Coach are contacting all of their customers directly with advice on refunds. Refunds will be issued automatically.

Now that we have had to cancel the festival we need to take steps to place the Company into Liquidation and we want to express our deepest regrets to the artists and to thank all our staff, suppliers and contractors who worked so hard with us.

Our deepest & sincerest apologies go out to you.

Missy & Dom

how annoying!

Soldato
It's pretty obvious why they didn't sell more tickets - zero promotion. I literally had never heard of this festival until various booking agents and managers started saying on facebook that the event had been cancelled. Such rumours were left to fester for well over a week before they actually bothered to confirm them.

Soldato
OP
To anyone disapointed - I can only advise looking at Amphi Festival in Cologne if you fancy a short break next summer.

They put on a brilliant festival and it has the added bonus of being in a truly beautiful city with stunning bars and restaurants. It's certainly the best festival I've ever been to.

I was excited for this year but changed my mind when IAMX cancelled due to illness so I'm hoping they confirm for another one soon.

This was always going to be hard to pull off - and as said, no real promotion for it. Should have started smaller and built on that really - or just combined with some other Alt festivals and made them bigger!!

Back
Top Bottom