Will they make any super hit family movies like the 90s ?

Soldato
They won't as Hollywood has ran out of ideas and will just re-hash old movies or make sequels.

yeah, although not really a family film as such I watched the Robocop remake, god it was awful!

One of my favourites bar the obvious such as The Goonies was a film called Fuzz Bucket , absolute brilliant film and very hard to get hold of, think they did release a remastered version on dvd but not sure if its widely available. I watched it so many times I wore the vhs tape out.

here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k72TRiWqpc

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the reasons behind why some classics like Home Alone and Uncle Buck do not appear these days, is probably to do with John Hughes (the writer for many 80/90s classics listed in this thread) having sadly passed away. There just aren't many writers like him around, and in many ways, these types of movies have become a dying art.:(

Soldato
OP
One of the reasons behind why some classics like Home Alone and Uncle Buck do not appear these days, is probably to do with John Hughes (the writer for many 80/90s classics listed in this thread) having sadly passed away. There just aren't many writers like him around, and in many ways, these types of movies have become a dying art.:(

Thanks ill check out some of his other movies.

We still have Chris Columbus, hopefully he can do something .

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is Top Gun terrible?

I'm surprised you even have to ask, its is genuinely awful even as a popcorn, disengage brain movie. Stand By Me is my favourite 'kids' movie of the 80's even though it wasn't strictly aimed at kids.

I think Super 8 is the nearest thing that got near a decent 80's style kids flick of late which I quite enjoyed.

V F

V F

Soldato
If it's so awful, then why were so many clamouring for a sequel before Tony Scott's death…

Soldato
OP
I've got some good and some bad news,

The good news studios are to remake, reboot or continue all John Hughes movies.
The news is studios are to remake ALL John Hughes movies.

Don
There has been a big shift towards using animated movies for making family movies, I guess because it is easier to make something "loud & exciting" to grab the attention of younger viewers and yet still be able to maintain a story arc to entertain the older viewers.

You can get away with more violence to the feature character in an animated movie too (i.e. in Planes, the main character receiving a thorough beating, yet no blood shed).

rose tinted spectacles.

To some extent yet. E.g. Home Alone, I saw again just 2 years ago and didn't enjoy it that much. Honey I Shrunk The Kids, I also watched 2 years ago and that survived the test of time better in my opinion. Even better - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure!!

Some 80s stuff e.g. Labyrinth, Time Bandits and Arnie action films all survived the test of time for me. Still love 'em :)

Back
Top Bottom