"Won" This on eBay Yesterday

mjt

mjt

Soldato
For the record, I'd be happy buying from them as traders do exactly the same here in Belgium.
Whether it's legal or not is another matter :p

I see that they are trying to 'legalise' it by stating that they're spares or repairs, etc but whether that actually exempts them from their duties as a trader is another matter.

In one way it's brilliant that hte UK has such strict laws to aid the consumer.
But sometimes, you could get yourself a better bargain if they could be lifted at times.

Soldato
Sounds like most auction cars to be fair, bought two runarounds from an auction here locally. You always accept a certain degree of risk with this so got to make sure that price difference vs market average is worth it. If you know your cars or have a mechanic friend then could end up with a good deal.

Soldato
If this was closer, I might actually consider it for my next car.

See it the same as buying a car from a private seller, so if you could get something for a lower price than you could privately, what is there to lose?

Soldato
OP
The only issue I have with the car is the lack of service history, as they state that if they haven't specified that the car has history, then there will most likely be none.

Man of Honour
£3200? It's not even cheap - I could understand the gamble at half the usual price but there are loads of these on Autotrader for similar money and indeed rather less, too, enough to mean that you don't need to deal with the sort of outfit that uses phrases like 'Assume half a million miles'.

Nice 08 plate one here for the same money:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/ex11aa/usedcars/make/volvo?logcode=p

Associate
So things to consider on these, (knowing since I own one)

Look for Air in the clear fuel lines, could just need a filter change and re-prim(of which they do not have a primer) but it could be the pumps on the way out.

120 amp Alternators tend to fail, look for 150amp version.

Check the VIN number to see if this is Euro 3/4/5 depending on which it could be overdue a DPF replacement:
for example: chassis number YV1MW7541A25*****.
75 is the engine variant and the following 4 shows that it is Euro 4, 3 would be euro 3 and 5 being euro 5

if euro 3 you can safely remove/blank the EGR which helps daily running and service work.

Rear wheel bearings - cheap part to replace
Front wishbone bushes.

Self Servicing is really easy.

All in all I love mine, paid about £4.5 for mine with deal history and 60k miles, on a 54..

TBH the newer ones are more hassel than the other ones due to DPF issues. -- issues meaning they havent been serviced and/or driven a manor to keep the DPF in the right conditions

Associate
Man of Honour
Same money... but equal risks, its had a fair amount of miles and could have a nest of DPF related costs which would need to be resolved to drive it, granted not a huge amount of money, but I would rather take the one with 60k less miles on it.

You'd actually pay attention to the mileage displayed on a car advertised as 'assuming to have 500k on it'? :p

The mileage of the car in the OP is irrelevant.

Soldato
The ad is entertaining.

My favourite is this bit:

Please be aware we now have a policy of declaring all mileages as incorrect. The listing will indicate the mileage displayed on the odometer at the point of us having purchased it, this and any reference to it, must be considered incorrect for the purpose of the auction, we hereby declare to you any car we sell has done 1/2 million miles, this way everyone knows exactly where they stand! Also, in order to totally comply with sale of goods act 1979, we hereby stipulate, any vehicle sold on this listing, is not fit for any purpose other than for spares or repair, as are all cars sold by us including this one, and are invoiced as such.

Soldato
I bought my CL500 from them nearly 10 years ago when they were trading on eBay under a different name. They were very pleasant when I went to pick the car up and they would have let me walk away from buying it if I wanted to. The car was missing service history but I got it for £10k less than others at the time. Ran it for a year and a half I think and didn't have major problems other than it was bloody expensive to run which would have been the same for any Merc like that.

Back
Top Bottom