• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help With Overclocking 4670k

Associate
Hi people

Had my 4670k a few weeks now and having problems overclocking it. Suffice to say its a little different to my old i5 750.

I keep getting BSOD or freezing in games. And when starting minecraft (of all games!!!) for example the first time I run my computer it stutters and I get poor FPS like I am running an AMD K6 or something :). Reboot and its fine for about 45 mins till it BSOD or freezes.

Ive tried different settings following the Haswell overclocking guide and got no where with 4.4GHz, 4.2 GHz and currently I am trying 4GHz which I am really not happy about. 4.6 and 4.8 just wont even boot.

If I post my settings would you be willing to give me some pointers please?

My Spec:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 Intel Z97
Corsair Hydro H100i
TeamGroup Xtreem LV 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit (TXD38G2400HC10QDC01)
GTX 680 Stock
750watt Corsair PSU.

Ive tried anything between 1.2v to 1.4v and high and low RAM speeds and I cannot for the death of me get the thing stable.

Temps dont exceed 70oC under Full Load with Prime 95. Current settings are returning 60oC.

Right now Im running:

4GHz, 1.25v, ram is set at 2000mhz. 1:1

I can post screenshots or pics of the BIOS settings if you want? Bit stuck here as there doesnt seem to be much info available on overclocking with my motherboard........ Tempted to send it back or upgrade to the new CPUs and see if they are any different. OR get a motherboard thats been proven to overclock well like the MSI's in the reviews.

Permabanned
Ok try these little settings :D

42x multi so = 4.2ghz firstly.

CPU Vcore - 1.18v
CPU RING V - 1.075
VVCIN V - 1.85
Set your ram to xmp profile1 and ram volts 1.65v - do this manually as we'll.
Everything else should be on auto

Have a go and see what happens , good luck :D

Associate
I had a go at overclocking one of these CPU's the other day in my dads work PC, all I did was change multiplier to 42, typed 1.125v, changed ram to 1600Mhz @ 1.5v, and it worked fine.

Couldn't be bothered to do a thorough overclock, but it took a couple of minutes so no idea how your CPU is so unstable at relatively high voltage. :confused:

EDIT: Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If not then download and flash it.

Permabanned
I had a go at overclocking one of these CPU's the other day in my dads work PC, all I did was change multiplier to 42, typed 1.125v, changed ram to 1600Mhz @ 1.5v, and it worked fine.

Couldn't be bothered to do a thorough overclock, but it took a couple of minutes so no idea how your CPU is so unstable at relatively high voltage. :confused:

EDIT: Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If not then download and flash it.

He may have too much causing the instability :eek:

Associate
OP
Thanks all. Been horribly busy and this thread slipped my mind, holiday tomorrow as well. I think the 4GHz setting s I have right now are stable although not stressed for a long period of time, yet I still have to reboot my computer after starting it to get a decent frame rate in Minecraft. I will try the settings listed above after updating my bios.

Really wish Id of gone with the MSI board but went for brand loyalty (Despite the Previous MB failure from my P55 UD5).

Associate
OP
Ok try these little settings :D

42x multi so = 4.2ghz firstly.

CPU Vcore - 1.18v
CPU RING V - 1.075
VVCIN V - 1.85
Set your ram to xmp profile1 and ram volts 1.65v - do this manually as we'll.
Everything else should be on auto

Have a go and see what happens , good luck :D

Whats VVCIN?

Ok. So ive made an effort with this because its really getting on my wick now - Everythings up to date - Drivers, BIOS.

Aside from VVCIN because I dont know what it is - I ran the settings above to the letter and it froze during prime95 testing after about 30 seconds. Temps did not exceed 50deg.

Just ran a second test after a reboot and worker #1 of 4 stopped - hardware failure detected.... then froze.

Also with my default motherboard settings following the BIOS update I ran some brief tests - an hour maybe... - and it was stable. Cant tell you the exact settings but voltages were slightly below the suggestions above, but ram was not running anywhere near its full speed and the CPU was at 3.8 GHz.

At these settings I noticed I was still getting the same problems as before - games run like a dog (poor FPS) when you first boot up and run them, but a reboot will solve this and games run very well following this reboot. This is in Minecraft, Insurgency. I dont play anything else currently.

Pretty stuck with this as no one seems to have the G1 Sniper Z97. All seems to be the Gaming 5 or the MSI Boards. I dont think i can send this back now but Im tempted to buy a 'well researched' board and have a go from there.

Quick note....

Running the settings posted above, except 3.4GHz. Seems stable.

Looks like I cant even overclock this without running into problems?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom