Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Soldato
Seems like there's no thread discussing this phone, I thought I'd create one.
I'm one of those users, after the holy grail - trying to find a phone that's not the ridiculous 5"+ size all flagships are these days, with a decent camera and acceptable spec.

I have come to loathe my HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z2 for the above reasons of form factor awkwardness. (Z2 being made from fragile see through cheese also doesn't help)

The Galaxy S5 mini seems to check all the boxes, so I went and ordered one - will be with me on Monday.

I guess it suffers from the same "lacklustre" design, and the CPU is not the pokiest, but I'm pretty excited about it.

aSY8Xvf.jpg

ICxX8Rh.jpg

LpUFRyN.jpg

6oDILNJ.jpg

8EjOg1g.jpg

Code:
Android 4.4 KitKat
1.4 GHz quad-core processor
1.5 GB RAM
4.5" Super AMOLED 720 x 1080 screen
8 MP camera with autofocus, flash, HDR & panorama
2.1 MP front facing camera
Fingerprint scanner for locking & authorisation
Ultra Power Saving Mode
Private / Kids Mode
IP 67 rated (water & dust resistant)
2,100 mAh removable battery
131.1 x 64.8 x 9.1mm
120 grams

Anyone else have this - got any feedback?

Review here:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_mini-review-1116.php

Last edited:
Caporegime
How can it have a 4.5" screen and be called "Mini" :confused:

Surely it should be called the Galaxy S5, and the Galaxy S5 should be called the Galaxy Share Bar?

My phone was bought new 1.5 years ago and has a 4.3" screen. It is a comfortable size, and slips into my pocket nicely. Why do people want TV's in their pockets?

Last edited:
Associate
How can it have a 4.5" screen and be called "Mini" :confused:
Because most flagship phones nowadays have screens that are 5inch+ and there are plenty of phones now hitting 6" or more :confused:

A 4.5 inch screen use to be big, but it's not 2010 anymore :p

The LG G2 mini has a 4.7" screen!

As for why people want "tv's in their pocket" then that's quite simple really. Smartphones do much more than just phonecalls. Everybody is different and if you only use a phone for phonecalls then fair enough, i can understand wanting a smaller phone. 95% of the time i use my phone to browse the net, play games, read emails, send sms and watch media. I find a bigger screen very beneficial and lets be honest an extra 1-2 inch in your pocket is hardly gonna make a massive difference. ;)

As i say, everybody is different but i have massive hands and enjoy a big screen so that's the reason why i enjoy a tv in my pocket :) Once you get use to a bigger screen then the "normal sized screens" just seem like little toys to me personally.

Last edited:
Soldato
£389.99 RRP. I can't see how it's going to be much better than a Moto G from those specs. I think 720x1080 is wrong, most sites have it at 1280x720. Moto G is a fair bit faster than an S3, even the 2gb model. It looks ok though but expensive.

Soldato
OP
The Moto g makes it hard for anyone to justify the additional expense, but the camera on this, waterproofness (splashproof) and ability for larger micro SD card pipped it for me.

Soldato
Don't see why anyone with half a brain would get this. HIDEOUSLY overpriced purely for the Galaxy name. Get a Moto G or a Nexus 5 or anything small that ticks the boxes. 1.5GB RAM?? What is the point why not just have 2?

Soldato
The Moto g makes it hard for anyone to justify the additional expense, but the camera on this, waterproofness (splashproof) and ability for larger micro SD card pipped it for me.

yeah there is that but it's about £250 more! having a quick look on the posted review and the geekbench score is almost the same 1120/1123 and they are both 4.5" 720p screens. I don't doubt this is a nicer phone but .... £250 more! When you looking at anything other than the best, surely price is a huge factor.

edit: I think the moto g is splash proof. Not sure about the ratings of each.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not good enough for the price, not even close. It's low/middle tier components and mid/high pricing - market brand will carry it but it's not something I'd recommend to anyone really.

Associate
If this is anything like the S4 mini, then it will be terrible. Runs slowly, often does random restarts, camera is shocking at least it will have 16gb storage rather than the pitiful 8gb that the s4 mini has, and a lot of it is taken up with samsung bloat.
All this comes from owning an S4 mini, i "upgraded" from an iphone 4s and that was a better phone in nearly all areas, bar screen size and not having to use iTunes to get music on it. IMHO Avoid at all costs! I cant wait to get rid of mine, but cant justify the costs of phones even on ebay at the minute.
Also the battery life is shocking too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I recommended the S4 Mini to my girlfriend as her first smart phone; size was good for her and it seemed to come out on top of the HTC One Mini in the reviews. I definitely regret that decision. It has a mind of it's own, battery drains very quickly, I swear her mum's S3 camera is better and it's slow. Terrible excuse of a phone, I imagine the S5 Mini to be marginally better. The Z1C is still the king of 'minis'.

Associate
I recommended the S4 Mini to my girlfriend as her first smart phone; size was good for her and it seemed to come out on top of the HTC One Mini in the reviews. I definitely regret that decision. It has a mind of it's own, battery drains very quickly, I swear her mum's S3 camera is better and it's slow. Terrible excuse of a phone, I imagine the S5 Mini to be marginally better. The Z1C is still the king of 'minis'.

Glad I am not the only one with the same complaints. The wife has one of these too, and her phone has more random re-starts and little bugs than mine. They are terrible. It has put me off minis and compacts for my next phone, which i know is silly, but once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Back
Top Bottom