Windows 8.1Metro not showing newly installed programs

Permabanned
Hi

Just finished building my neices rig. When installing her Astronomy and school related programs the Metro interface doesn't create a shortcut. I can manually create them but does anyone know why it is not automatically doing it like on my home machine also running Windows 8.1?

Soldato
Its because we complained that 8.0 was filling the start screen with every piece crap that gets installed, so instead of try to fix the problem creatively(ie, only add the apps and not all guff that comes with them), Microsoft just just stopped stuff being added entirely. Don't know if you can change that behaviour in 8.1, though I guess you can if you say its adding apps for you.

Soldato
Its because we complained that 8.0 was filling the start screen with every piece crap that gets installed, so instead of try to fix the problem creatively(ie, only add the apps and not all guff that comes with them), Microsoft just just stopped stuff being added entirely. Don't know if you can change that behaviour in 8.1, though I guess you can if you say its adding apps for you.

Or people like you don't just click the down arrow in the start menu, right click on the shortcut that has been created there and select pin to start menu when a new application is installed?

It's all I do on my copy of 8.1... They don't appear in the main start menu automatically but appear in the all programs area.

Soldato
People like me?

I'm totally aware of the all apps view. The op was asking about new app shortcuts being auto-added to the start screen, not how to find his apps.

People like me know exactly how to find them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom