• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Enable sound via HDMI without enabling dual screen?

Associate
I have a audio receiver setup with my PC to output sound via HDMI but to do this i need to enable dual screen.

Is there anyway to enable HDMI sound without having to enable dual screen? I only have one screen and enabling dual screen makes the graphics card memory run at full clock speeds, when there is no need.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Go into sound properties and set HDMI as default device.

I don't know if you fully understand the issue. It might be a bit complicated to explain over the web instead of showing it onsite.

Please find attached image. You can see the audio device listed on the sound options. The window on the right shows dual screen. I don't have dual screen, the second device is a receiver. If i disable 2nd screen then the audio device disappears off the sound devices. I need to enable dual screen in order to output sound.

Now my question is how can i enable sound without having to enable dual screen?

Untitled.png

Thank You

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can't find the image? :p

Sorry my bad, i have uploaded the image. Does my description make sense?

The driver identifies my receiver as the monitor with sound instead of just a receiver. Well the receiver has audio and video option hence i'm guessing why it does. Does the driver have an option to just output sound without having to output video too?

Last edited:
Associate
I have a audio receiver setup with my PC to output sound via HDMI but to do this i need to enable dual screen.

Is there anyway to enable HDMI sound without having to enable dual screen? I only have one screen and enabling dual screen makes the graphics card memory run at full clock speeds, when there is no need.

Thanks

I just tried to get sound on my amp without dual screen as well but it doesn't work without enabling dual screen. But if you have to do this route maybe use vca cables or optical cable direct from the sound card into the amp

Associate
OP
No optical input on the receiver?

Yes there is optical, phono etc on the receiver but my system is outputting sound off the graphics card and that only has DVI, HDMI and Display port.

I just tried to get sound on my amp without dual screen as well but it doesn't work without enabling dual screen. But if you have to do this route maybe use vca cables or optical cable direct from the sound card into the amp

I don't have a sound card the graphics card is sending the audio signals...

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no way. It's something I have been wanting for ages but either it's not possible or the gpu manufacturers aren't interested in implementing it.

I would like to use hdmi purely for hassle free, high quality surround without using it for display purposes, but it's not going to happen.

Associate
Yes there is optical, phono etc on the receiver but my system is outputting sound off the graphics card and that only has DVI, HDMI and Display port.

I don't have a sound card the graphics card is sending the audio signals...

You don't have a sound card? not even built into your mobo? if you do this cable should work

1TR-301-10m-phono-rca.jpg

should work I just googled your mobo

IMG_6408.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I use 2 screens - Monitor on DVI and HDMI to AV amp/TV.
I just tried running HDMI alone to the amp and it doesn't need to be in dual screen mode. CCC only detects one screen.
That may not help you, but there it is :)

Memory clocks do dance around a bit, but I'm not sure why that's a problem tbh.
Do you actually see any issues due to the memory not always being clocked down?

Soldato
OP, Can you run your monitor from the reciever e.g.

PC---receiver---Monitor

Rather than
PC----Monitor
PC----Reciever

It would increase input lag however and maybe limit you to 1080p if it can't pass on 1200p.

Associate
OP
You don't have a sound card? not even built into your mobo? if you do this cable should work

should work I just googled your mobo

Yes this method will work but i have disabled the built in sound card as the whole point of my 5.1 receiver setup is to not use a sound card but to use the graphics card audio output so i have lossless PCM audio on my receiver and also using the receiver to do all the decoding thus making my receiver act as the sound card. When playing movies etc the receiver decodes the streams and plays back DTS Mater audio, Dolby Truehd etc.

If i used a sound card and connected it to my receiver it will defeat the purpose of having a receiver as the sound card will do all the work and the receiver will just sit there doing nothing.

The motherboard has optical out, does the receiver have optical in?

If so, use that?

Above is the reason why i don't use that and optical always has a few ms lag.

Associate
OP
I use 2 screens - Monitor on DVI and HDMI to AV amp/TV.
I just tried running HDMI alone to the amp and it doesn't need to be in dual screen mode. CCC only detects one screen.
That may not help you, but there it is :)

Memory clocks do dance around a bit, but I'm not sure why that's a problem tbh.
Do you actually see any issues due to the memory not always being clocked down?

What receiver do you have?

When your tv is connected to the receiver does CCC automatically detect it and enable dual screen? and when it is disconnected does CCC detects as just an audio device?

Humm maybe i can look at my receiver settings. The receiver has a GUI interface maybe that's what makes CCC think its a screen?

There is no issue at all leaving dual screen on to have audio as ive been doing this for over 2 years but it would be nice to just run the way its meant to. The down side is the clocks will always be running on full speed and my mouse disappearing if it move it too much to the right as it thinks there is two screens.

Associate
Depends on the software but I have optical out set to PCM on my Asus soundcard which then connects to my Audinist DAC for stereo playback. There is no lag there when using speakers or headphones from the DAC.

However, I'm only talking about stereo signals so that might be the limiting factor, depending on the software I assume.

Back
Top Bottom