Arizona nine-year old in Uzi gun lesson accident

Man of Honour
OP
Guns have one purpose. To kill. If you're pro gun for civilians then you're scum in my eyes. I can't be any clearer than that.

You could say that about archery too. Bows and arrows have the primary purpose which is to kill. That doesn't mean that using it as a sport is bad or that archery is necessarily a danger to other people.

I think guns are completely legitimate for farmers who have pests, people who hunt deer other other animals or even as a sport for target practice. My main issue with the news story is that the girl was very young, too young in my opinion and that the weapon was automatic. If you are hunting or shooting a target you have absolutely no need for fully automatic fire.

Soldato
Having watched the video it seems like it was going fine and there was a good level of instruction going on.

... putting an Uzi in the hands of a nine years old.

Darwin's law strikes again?

Having read a great many posts (from US message boards_ and comments on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that there simply isn't enough guns in the USA.

Indeed, the gene pool looks like it could use some bleach.

Last edited:
Caporegime
... putting an Uzi in the hands of a nine years old.

Darwin's law strikes again?

Well, I am not commenting on that, I am merely saying he seemed to be instructing the girl in a professional manner, there was no whooping/crazy OT behaviour it just ended very tragically.

I wonder how many other kids have been there without incident.

Caporegime
2.5million deaths per year
32,000 caused by firearms.
Therefore 1.28% chance of death by firearm
So actually worse than your stats.

But interesting to note you are still more likely to be killed by a car (36,000 deaths in 2012). Then again the US has a disproportionately high death rate for that as well, relative to other western nation.

Permabanned
That is ridiculous. They need to take a leaf out of the UK law on guns, and a ban on fully automatic weapons unless you are in the forces. Shotguns on certs, rifles on strict licensing, reason for use, and a properly enforced age restriction. Why is a 9 year old using a gun in the first place, let alone one they are clearly not going to be able to handle.

Because that is seriously helping gun crime in cities like Manchester and London isn't it?

** No hotlinking images **
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62993000/gif/_62993691_firearms_offences_624gr.gif

Caporegime
So not banned then if certain individuals can obtain them. Quit the hyperbole. Most school shootings and other massacres in the US are carried out by nutters with automatic weapons. Obviously being a nutter doesn't stop you getting the guns.

Handguns aren't actually banned in the UK either, yet that doesn't stop people saying they are and it being the go to word for something that is highly restricted...;)

Isn't the main problem here the freak accident that caused the switch to move from single shot to automatic? The girl wasn't supposed to be firing it on automatic, unfortunately, without either knowing it was on automatic.

Soldato
Well, I am not commenting on that, I am merely saying he seemed to be instructing the girl in a professional manner, there was no whooping/crazy OT behaviour it just ended very tragically.

I wonder how many other kids have been there without incident.

Uh really?
I'm not so sure.

I'm not expert but giving a weapon famed for its high rate of fire and recoil and giving it to a 9 year old girl then letting her shoot one bullet in semi auto before deciding shes ready for full auto and THEN not A) moving directly behind her or B not helping her hold the gun while using full auto seems unideal

Soldato
Handguns aren't actually banned in the UK either, yet that doesn't stop people saying they are and it being the go to word for something that is highly restricted...;)

Isn't the main problem here the freak accident that caused the switch to move from single shot to automatic? The girl wasn't supposed to be firing it on automatic, unfortunately, without either knowing it was on automatic.

Have you even read about this? He told her "Full auto"

Permabanned
Play with fire and you're going to get burned. Or in this case, 'go full retard and give a nine year old a ****ing Uzi and you're gonna get your head ventilated.'

Darwin by proxy.

Soldato
Because that is seriously helping gun crime in cities like Manchester and London isn't it?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62993000/gif/_62993691_firearms_offences_624gr.gif

OK I'm assuming with that chart you are trying to imply gun crime has gone up since we introduced restrictions.

In fact, the graph makes perfect sense because when you introduce more gun laws then it stands to reason more people will break them and then they'll go up.

It would be like dropping the speed limit to 20mph overnight then complying a graph a year or two later showing more people have committed speeding offences (which would naturally happen due to heavier restrictions) then concluding it hasn't saved lives.

We need to see the number of gun related fatalities to get a more accurate picture

Caporegime
Uh really?
I'm not so sure.

I'm not expert but giving a weapon famed for its high rate of fire and recoil and giving it to a 9 year old girl then letting her shoot one bullet in semi auto before deciding shes ready for full auto and THEN not A) moving directly behind her or B not helping her hold the gun while using full auto seems unideal

I totally agree with you on that, it seems it was going OK up to the point he put it in full auto mode, then it was all downhill from there with error after error leading to the end.

Caporegime
Americans are so backwards when i comes to their stupid gun laws, no one should ever be firing any sort of weapons until they are adults.

As someone that grew up shooting air rifles/pistols and 22 rifles I disagree. Shooting as a sport and discipline is great fun and safe, if done properly. The same arguments could be made about many other disciplines, from go karting to hiking to climbing. All have inherent risks that can be reduced if done properly and/or under proper supervision. We don't bam children form doing any of those things in a disciplined way so why should shooting be any different.

Caporegime
Have you even read about this? He told her "Full auto"

Yes, I read about it a couple of days ago.... Obviously the facts have now changed as initially it was reported that the the switch between single shot and full auto moved. That's why I put a question mark at the end of the first sentence. I stand corrected.

Man of Honour
OP

6f5fsi.gif

Well done, not only are you hotlinking, but you clearly don't understand the underlying statistics and what they do and don't show.

Soldato
Yes, I read about it a couple of days ago.... Obviously the facts have now changed as initially it was reported that the the switch between single shot and full auto moved. That's why I put a question mark at the end of the first sentence. I stand corrected.

It did move. After having force applied to it by the instructor, you can clearly see him reaching over to do it in the video...

Soldato
I dunno.

I can see how a 9yr old girl would need to engage 20+ people in close quarters combat. Arizona is a tough place. It's worse than the Gaza Strip you know.

My son turns 4 next May then he's going to start RPG training. Just never know when you got to take down an APC on the mean streets of Nottingham.

Soldato
So not banned then if certain individuals can obtain them. Quit the hyperbole. Most school shootings and other massacres in the US are carried out by nutters with automatic weapons. Obviously being a nutter doesn't stop you getting the guns.

Most (all as far as I know) mass shootings have been done with semi-automatics which are the ones that are essentially unrestricted, doesn't make it much better mind.

Back
Top Bottom